Doh_nutz’ IM Fusion Pro AIO 50 Lagoon Build

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently picked up some frags from a local coral farmer's market in San Diego last weekend to start off with.

175403728_10226642981084543_2673599568449593660_n.jpeg

Update?

OP
OP
doh_nutz

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies for the lack of updates.

Two weeks ago, I had a mishap and one of my pumps that was set up to feed my BRS mini carbon reactor. I used the silicone tubing that was included in the kit from BRS. I assumed after a few pulls on the hose from the barb fitting that I wouldn't need any non-metallic hose clamps. Boy, was I wrong! It had been running for a couple weeks without any issues. Until one day I was washing dishes and heard water splashing. I ran over and saw that my pump feeding my reactor popped the silicone hose off and was shooting water few inches over my tank. As I go to unplug the main power cord, it tripped the breaker for the living room. I'm glad that the stand is aluminum.

Damages after a thorough assessment was some minor flooding, more than half a gallon of water on the floor and a waterlogged surge suppressor strip. No damages to any tank equipment. Since then, I've been rethinking some of my gear and layout. Picked up some PVC or plastic like boards to close the back side of the stand, pulled the trigger on an Apex EL with LDK and some optical sensors. As for the display, it's an old Amazon Fire tablet from 2011-2012 era that was in some box in my garage. I took this time to address the electrical hazard/rat's nest and make things a bit more less chaotic and more accessible in case I need to pull something. The one thing I should have done was make sure none of the electrical equipment was on the base board/floor. I moved the shelf down and raised everything off the ground where water can pool in case of an accident.

As far as the tank itself. I added several more pieces but have not laid them out and just tossed them in temporarily. Today's plan is to get that part sorted out.

Here's a quick snap "under the hood".

stand equip.jpeg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies for the lack of updates.

Two weeks ago, I had a mishap and one of my pumps that was set up to feed my BRS mini carbon reactor. I used the silicone tubing that was included in the kit from BRS. I assumed after a few pulls on the hose from the barb fitting that I wouldn't need any non-metallic hose clamps. Boy, was I wrong! It had been running for a couple weeks without any issues. Until one day I was washing dishes and heard water splashing. I ran over and saw that my pump feeding my reactor popped the silicone hose off and was shooting water few inches over my tank. As I go to unplug the main power cord, it tripped the breaker for the living room. I'm glad that the stand is aluminum.

Damages after a thorough assessment was some minor flooding, more than half a gallon of water on the floor and a waterlogged surge suppressor strip. No damages to any tank equipment. Since then, I've been rethinking some of my gear and layout. Picked up some PVC or plastic like boards to close the back side of the stand, pulled the trigger on an Apex EL with LDK and some optical sensors. As for the display, it's an old Amazon Fire tablet from 2011-2012 era that was in some box in my garage. I took this time to address the electrical hazard/rat's nest and make things a bit more less chaotic and more accessible in case I need to pull something. The one thing I should have done was make sure none of the electrical equipment was on the base board/floor. I moved the shelf down and raised everything off the ground where water can pool in case of an accident.

As far as the tank itself. I added several more pieces but have not laid them out and just tossed them in temporarily. Today's plan is to get that part sorted out.

Here's a quick snap "under the hood".

stand equip.jpeg
Under the hood is looking really good. Sorry to hear about the mishap with the reactor. One of the reasons I have an AIO is to try and avoid this type of thing but stuff happens. I had the IM MiniMax media reactor blow its top and get water all over my wall. I also accidentally overfilled the ato container one time and got water under the stand, which cannot be easily moved when the tank is full, where there are hardwood floors. That was not a fun clean up and I feel your pain. Thank goodness it wasn’t worse. Looking forward to a new FTS.

OP
OP
doh_nutz

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a full tank shot as it sits right now. I got distracted with errands on the "honey-to-do" list and never got around to arranging corals. I the acans are on the main rock structure temporarily. They came from a system that was under some fairly strong lighting so I wanted to acclimate them down to lower lighting.

FTS 06OCT21.jpeg

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a full tank shot as it sits right now. I got distracted with errands on the "honey-to-do" list and never got around to arranging corals. I the acans are on the main rock structure temporarily. They came from a system that was under some fairly strong lighting so I wanted to acclimate them down to lower lighting.

FTS 06OCT21.jpeg

Looks good. You wouldn’t know that the corals were not arranged. I like how you’ve made a more open scape, I feel like mine is too high. Yours makes the tank look bigger.

OP
OP
doh_nutz

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. You wouldn’t know that the corals were not arranged. I like how you’ve made a more open scape, I feel like mine is too high. Yours makes the tank look bigger.
Thanks! I agree, I felt the tank needed more open space and I still have the same amount of rocks I just broke some extended branches off and rearranged them. The negative space lower rocks does make it feel larger than it really is.

OP
OP
doh_nutz

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I forgot to mentioned. I changed up some of my livestock (fish). I re-homed the purple tang several weeks ago that I had to a LFS. It was getting really aggressive in my tank towards the clowns, Midas blenny and spotted sifter goby. But as soon as I evicted the tang. I started have issues with a lot of algae or bacterial bloom. My nitrates and phosphates tested nearly undetectable. Instead of dosing nitrates or phosphates, I decided to add quite a bit more fish to increase the bio load. Though it may be somewhat frowned upon having too many fish. Its the route I decided and wanted to do. I still wanted a utilitarian fish of some sort since I didn't have a tang to graze. I picked up a foxface rabbitfish to fill that spot and a small school of five juvenile pajama cardinal fish.

In a period of two weeks, my algae and bacteria bloom went away. Is it coincidence? Maybe, but its working and everything seems to be in check at the moment. *knock on wood.

Current livestock (fish):
foxface rabbitfish
midas blenny
pair of stormtrooper clownfish
spotted sand sifter goby
5 pajama cardinalfish

Clean up crew:
about a dozen nassarius snails
10 trochus snails
1 turbo
2 blue legged hermits
1 fire shrimp

OP
OP
doh_nutz

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is looking great! I was thinking about upgrading from the 20 to the 50. Your thread verifies 100% i need to!
Thanks! The 20 is a great tank too. However, nothing ever seems to be good enough once we have it. I've been catching myself looking at other tanks. But I still want to have a bed to sleep in at the end of each day. haha

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The 20 is a great tank too. However, nothing ever seems to be good enough once we have it. I've been catching myself looking at other tanks. But I still want to have a bed to sleep in at the end of each day. haha
I feel the exact same way. I like my 50 but I’d like an SR80 better.

OP
OP
doh_nutz

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's to a very long, overdue update. Today Marks 7 months since the tank was officially set up and running.

250848465_10227953000674214_7937841570250373115_n.jpg

250300549_10227952999834193_2437625999771338717_n.jpg

251880017_10227953001114225_7383682412354647231_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
doh_nutz

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a new Aqua Rocks frag rock I see in the background there?
Indeed it is. Hahaha. Good eye. I needed something to better place my torches and other LPS’.
Truth be told, I just had an itch to purchase something new for the tank that wasn’t coral frags. Haha

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed it is. Hahaha. Good eye. I needed something to better place my torches and other LPS’.
Truth be told, I just had an itch to purchase something new for the tank that wasn’t coral frags. Haha
Somehow I stopped getting your updates. I like those aquarocks, I’m thinking about getting one of the magnetic mount ones for my back wall once I have re-scaped.

OP
OP
doh_nutz

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow I stopped getting your updates. I like those aquarocks, I’m thinking about getting one of the magnetic mount ones for my back wall once I have re-scaped.
I was wondering why you haven't posted. haha

I recently received a new EXT 50 gallon that I plan on setting. It definitely makes me appreciate the simplicity of AIO tanks, for the most part. Having the whole tank for real estate seems so much more. Even if its just 4 inches more without the AIO section.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering why you haven't posted. haha

I recently received a new EXT 50 gallon that I plan on setting. It definitely makes me appreciate the simplicity of AIO tanks, for the most part. Having the whole tank for real estate seems so much more. Even if its just 4 inches more without the AIO section.
Yes, that extra 4 inches of depth will give you lots more options to scape. I will be upgrading in the next 18 months after a move and the tank I’ve got my eye on has a 48x24 footprint. i’m excited to see what you do with it. FYI, that video you just posted shows as unavailable or no longer exists on my iPad. Not sure if it’s on my end or if the video doesn’t work.

OP
OP
doh_nutz

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that extra 4 inches of depth will give you lots more options to scape. I will be upgrading in the next 18 months after a move and the tank I’ve got my eye on has a 48x24 footprint. i’m excited to see what you do with it. FYI, that video you just posted shows as unavailable or no longer exists on my iPad. Not sure if it’s on my end or if the video doesn’t work.
Yea, I could have easily gotten a larger tank but real estate within the house has its limitation to an extent. However, I really like the dimensions of the 50 gal lagoon.

I edited the video and linked my instagram instead and it seems to be viewable on my end.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back