Done with Versa pumps and done with Ecotech

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in Jan/Feb I purchased 8 Versa pumps. The first 3 pumps I installed all failed for 3 different reasons. One of them leaving me with a huge mess in my fish room. I called their support today to see if any progress has been made to fix these issues hoping that a retrofit might be available. The support rep would not say if they had anything but said I needed to send him the serial numbers of the pumps. I had registered all my pumps back when I had the original issues. But apparently registering your product with them is meaningless. Because they can't look up the numbers.

The rep also told me that there were no issues with the pumps. Wow. Here are the issues I have had on just 3 pumps. I have been awaiting fixes that don't seem to be coming before installing any more.

1. The fittings leak.
2. Fittings disintegrate due to the types of liquids dosed. I have had BRS and Neptune DOS pumps dosing the same liquids for years. See picture.
3. Won't hold siphon. This is due to the tubing slipping off the rollers.
4. Mobius issues. Too many to elaborate.

I give up. Because they have. I am just writing off the $1200 dollars and time I have invested in these pumps. Ecotech is not worth my time anymore.

20200214_163047 (1).jpg

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish we could start the "Quality Matters Movement" and bankrupt a couple of these dirt bag companies. When their products work they are superior, unfortunately I feel Ecotech and Aquaillumination have been ripping people off for years with high failure rates on their products. At least that has been my experience. I will never buy from either of them again as much as I love the working version of their products.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why i went Kamoer on the CalRx setup, and decided not to use Versa's. I have a pack of 4 i have not used yet, but ive seen a ton of issues with them.

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never owned the versa so can not say anything about that. I have however been running mp40s a vectra and radions and I have to say these products are phenomenal. I have reached out to their support once before and it was also simple and easy. I wouldn’t give up and write this one off. Your experiences does not sound like the norm. And that amount of money is not worth writing off. I would forsure try reaching out to them again to try getting a resolution.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I love the product, is not without issues. I also have a 4 pack, one of them is very noisy compared to the others three. I have done all the Recomended troubleshooting to fix and or quiet the pump, still is very noise. Also I was using one of the pump with Kalkwasser dosing, in less than 4 months I have to replace the same part your showing here two times because they broke just like yours. At this point I dont trust this plastic design as it looks will become weak after a few months and will break. Currently looking to move to cal reactor and if I keep using the pump for the reactor will be pushing water through the reactor as Im not sure that the plastic will hold for a while with the potency of the effluent after a few months.

I have plenty of Ecotech equipment and I do love their products but this one have been a love/hate relationship.

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run Radions, MP40s, and MP10s for many years in the past. I have to say I was expecting better and was very disappointed.

LOL sounds like you have had problems with ecotech for sometime already but you still chose to get the versa. Not sure why you would get there doser if your already disappointed in every other product they made. Anyways I was just saying you shouldn’t give up on getting things resolved because u paid so much but it’s really up to you on how you want to move forward.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I deal with peristaltic pumps at work every day and the problems you have are pretty simple to fix. Squeeze tubes wear out and need to be replaced. You also need the correct tube material for the chemical it is supplying. Tubing that inserts into a press to fit/john guest style fitting needs to be cut square with a blade and not squished. These are some of the most common problems.

I wish I was there to help you, because you are writing off $1200 worth of pumps over $12 worth of parts. I hope you stick with it. I think you can make it work.

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL sounds like you have had problems with ecotech for sometime already but you still chose to get the versa. Not sure why you would get there doser if your already disappointed in every other product they made. Anyways I was just saying you shouldn’t give up on getting things resolved because u paid so much but it’s really up to you on how you want to move forward.

nah, sounds like he’s been satisfied with other ecotech products in past.

lately, it does seem that the quality appears to be lacking with eco tech Versa,g5 etc. it’s funny how they still get “glowing” reviews from vendors and others.

OP
OP
GainesvilleReef

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I deal with peristaltic pumps at work every day and the problems you have are pretty simple to fix. Squeeze tubes wear out and need to be replaced. You also need the correct tube material for the chemical it is supplying. Tubing that inserts into a press to fit/john guest style fitting needs to be cut square with a blade and not squished. These are some of the most common problems.

I wish I was there to help you, because you are writing off $1200 worth of pumps over $12 worth of parts. I hope you stick with it. I think you can make it work.

I have been using peristaltic pumps for about 9 years and am very familiar with the maintenance requirements. This is not a maintenance issue. It's a poor design that was made to look pretty not to be functional with the materials we use in the hobby. When Neptune Systems came out with the DOS they had several issues. Some were quite similar. However, they fixed them within a couple of months. Every one of these issues could be fixed with a retrofit. Ecotech instead chooses to ignore it.

I have had a good experience with Ecotech products in the past. That is why this is so disappointing.

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lately, it does seem that the quality appears to be lacking with eco tech Versa,g5 etc. it’s funny how they still get “glowing” reviews from vendors and others.

his reply legit says “I have run Radions, MP40s, and MP10s for many years in the past. I have to say I was expecting better and was very disappointed” so not sure how that would translate to being satisfied with other products.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They get glowing reviews because theres far more of us that have flawless equipment that works as expected compared to those that have issues - Tenfold

Its the old - if you have an issue take it online but if you dont keep quiet, does make companies look way worse than they are.

I would stick with it and pursue the fix - $1200 is a lot of money to almost everyone and shouldnt just be written off no matter what the product or company

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
his reply legit says “I have run Radions, MP40s, and MP10s for many years in the past. I have to say I was expecting better and was very disappointed” so not sure how that would translate to being satisfied with other products.
I think your reading that wrong - I read that as he has had MP40, MP10 & Radions run great in the past so was expecting better from the Versa but was disappointed.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you are missing the main point. Customers don't pay $1200 so that they can "fix" product to make it work. This is the manufacturer's job to ensure a product works out of the box. Otherwise, sell it for $50 and put instruction on the manual that says "please get these parts that worth only $12 to make sure it works flawlessly".

To @GainesvilleReef, I don't think you should give up on it. Especially if they are still under warranty (aren't they?). It is a lot of money. If you give up, you MAY send the wrong message to the company and community.

Go to business bureau, small claims court represent your self, media, and etc. I would do that in a heartbeat if I know that I am on the right.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get glowing reviews because theres far more of us that have flawless equipment that works as expected compared to those that have issues - Tenfold

Its the old - if you have an issue take it online but if you dont keep quiet, does make companies look way worse than they are.

I think this sometimes negatively effects the companies willingness to deal with a real issue as well. Hey, we (company) have thousands out there and we've never had a problem, you (consumer) must have done something to cause it.

Last edited:

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are missing the main point. Customers don't pay $1200 so that they can "fix" product to make it work. This is the manufacturer's job to ensure a product works out of the box. Otherwise, sell it for $50 and put instruction on the manual that says "please get these parts that worth only $12 to make sure it works flawlessly".

To @GainesvilleReef, I don't think you should give up on it. Especially if they are still under warranty (aren't they?). It is a lot of money. If you give up, you MAY send the wrong message to the company and community.

Go to business bureau, small claims court represent your self, media, and etc. I would do that in a heartbeat if I know that I am on the right.
I understand the op frustration and he is not wrong to be upset. I'm just saying, 1200 is a lot of dough and I would not want to give up on making it work. Ecotech should certainly replace any bad parts and it might take the op a little finesse to get it to work.

Tim at EcoTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been in this and are in this for the long haul, if we made a mistake we make it right. OP- I'm sorry for your continued frustration. If you want to move on then that is your choice and I understand. If not, then the pumps are under warranty and we won't leave you hanging now or in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GainesvilleReef

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been in this and are in this for the long haul, if we made a mistake we make it right. OP- I'm sorry for your continued frustration. If you want to move on then that is your choice and I understand. If not, then the pumps are under warranty and we won't leave you hanging now or in the future.

Tim, the customer service experience on this product has been so onerous that it feels like it is by design. It's clear that your company now takes its customers for granted. You have definitely lost the recipe. You need to gain some empathy for what your customers are experiencing now and don't assume all is well. I sincerely wish you the best.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back