Dorian and MACNA?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right after I posted my above question I went on FB and saw Fatherree post this (I'm in the Midwest so I don't hear a whole lot about hurricane season), sounds like one heck of a rainstorm!

"FYI: At 185 mph, Dorian is tied for second place with respect to highest sustained wind speed. First place is only 5 mph higher. Dorian has also produced 220 mph gusts in the Bahamas.

That's equivalent to an EF-5 tornado, which is the highest that the EF scale goes. "Incredible damage. Strong-framed, well-built houses leveled off foundations and swept away; steel-reinforced concrete structures are critically damaged; tall buildings collapse or have severe structural deformations; cars, trucks, and TRAINS! can be thrown approximately 1 mile."

The east coast of Florida may (or may not!) be dodging complete destruction by a matter of miles. Parts of the Bahamas are being obliterated..."

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worries me. I’m in upstate SC and remember well what Hugo did not so far away from my home town.

I pray everyone stays safe, and for those in the Bahamas right now as well.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cat 5,they say it should stay off the coast... however, that thing hasnt turned yeto_O
It’s tricky... the cone is still partly on the coast. I’m in Miami and still can’t relax. I know the models are supposed to be good, but they often are wrong.
I hope it heads north and east and leaves the Bahamas quickly.

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s tricky... the cone is still partly on the coast. I’m in Miami and still can’t relax. I know the models are supposed to be good, but they often are wrong.
I hope it heads north and east and leaves the Bahamas quickly.
agreed a bit close for comfort for sure. Just like two years ago when we took that direct hit from Irma .. that wasnt supposed to happen. Im on the other coast and still not quite relaxed untill it makesthat turn.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't MACNA related (it's now over), but my sister is one island up from Hilton Head and they have just been told that mandatory evacuation by noon tomorrow (Monday). My 92 year old father is on Hilton Head, also needs to evac, and my sister most likely won't be able to get to him because they make the exit road off Hilton Head (both directions) all for exit only...one direction.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't MACNA related (it's now over), but my sister is one island up from Hilton Head and they have just been told that mandatory evacuation by noon tomorrow (Monday). My 92 year old father is on Hilton Head, also needs to evac, and my sister most likely won't be able to get to him because they make the exit road off Hilton Head (both directions) all for exit only...one direction.
I will pray for him. I lived in Charleston for 2 years and did work in HH, not many roads to get out to begin with.

FORGET THAT!!!

I don't know you personally or never have meet you, but do you need someone to get him, SERIOUSLY?

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure how , im sure you can contact the local government, red cross, or police department to help relocate your father to a shelter. tell him to bring all medications and small personal documents. You can maybe get him from there or he can ride it out there.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @redfishbluefish, Was your Dad able to get out of Hiltonhead?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Storm turning away from coast as of a few minutes ago, but many parts of state still a mandatory evacuation

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @redfishbluefish, Was your Dad able to get out of Hiltonhead?

Not yet, but there's a plan. All residents will be bused to a facility in Greenville, SC....about 250 miles away, leaving 7-8 Am on Tuesday. Not crazy about the distance, but that's what is planned.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, but there's a plan. All residents will be bused to a facility in Greenville, SC....about 250 miles away, leaving 7-8 Am on Tuesday. Not crazy about the distance, but that's what is planned.
That’s good news. I’m glad he is getting out.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still sunny in Orlando when I flew back at 10 am today. Zero wait in line at security :).

I'm glad you made it home safely!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back