Dorian and MACNA?

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you did have to live in the keys to be scared. A clickbait YouTube video isn’t really a good representation- all Florida natives are 1000% used to stores running out of water and gas, minor flooding, no power for a week, and a few trees down. So many hurricane parties- it’s awesome.

I lived in Wilmington NC for five years and pretty much rode out a hurricane every year when there. There were certainly some where we spent the night in the local bars with candelight and having drinks without ice since they always shut power down in advance of the hit.

I also lived in Charlotte when Hurricane Hugo tore through. Even though we were miles from the ocean, it hit with high winds, spurred tornadoes, broke windows, and leveled half the trees in our yard including a 200 year old oak tree that was yanked out of the ground roots and all. It was certainly scary.

FYI: Most people that are injured or die in hurricanes in the US are the result of traffic fatalities. So if you are in the path of the hurricane please drive safe and take your time.

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came down last night and managed to refill gas tank next to hotel. I am planning to head home tomorrow, bringing one of my neighbors mom back with me. I did meet some people this morning who’s flights out had already been cancelled for Sunday.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I will be getting a direct hit from Dorian. Please go North Dorian!!! I have only been in this hobby for 8 months and I am afraid. I live in a condo where generators are strictly forbidden so I bought a battery back up system. It will keep flow going (pump and power heads from Apex) in my 150 gallon for 3 hours. Any advice on what to do in case power is out for 24 hours? Truly scared in Jupiter. Making 30 gallons of salt water starting tonight.... No MACNA 4 me

I've been through several hurricanes with the worst being Andrew. I had an amazing 90 gallon reef tank that fully survived Andrew and never missed a step. I was smart enough to tell myself that power would be out for 2 or 3 days and so I decided to get a generator last minute not knowing that power would be out for a month!!!

If you can't run a generator your options are very limited. This is what I would do:

1) Home Depot has a battery inverter for an EGO 56V system. Slightly expensive but cheaper than many aquarium backups. I've never tried it...just looked interesting.

2) Aquarium backups from eco-tech or Maxspect.

3) Scuba Tank/Cylinder. A full tank can last for a day or longer on a steady stream. You will have to figure out how to deliver air in a steady stream.

4) FANS FANS FANS!!! The tank will get hot. You need something battery powered to move air. Go buy 2 or 3 sports fans that people use to keep cool.

5) Your Car can provide power in a pinch. I would buy a battery inverted for the power plug to charge batteries etc.

6) Do you know/understand technology? Have you ever charged Lithium cells? Things for remote control cars and Airplanes??? A local hobby store with have 3 cell lipo packs that will give you 12.6. You can plug that battery directly into a DC pump to power it and it will power it for hours and sometimes days. It depends on the size you purchase but a large 5000 Watt hour can go for a long time. You need the charger and common sense as these batteries can be VERY dangerous if charged improperly.

7) Fishing store will have battery powered air pumps for live bait. Go...stop reading.

8) Unless you have a generator I would not bother with lights or cooling. Just keep in mind you will need them at some point.

9) How long will power be out? I'm in Miami. I have 2 generators. I have propane for Cooking and Hot water and a propane dryer for laundry. We lost power for 6 days with Irma and that was a CAT 1 or 2. If it's a direct hit, you will lose power for days if not weeks. We lost power for 1 month after Andrew. I learned my lesson. Buy a QUIET generator!!!

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We came down to Tampa to MIL's house and the plan was we we will drive Saturday morning to Orlando. Turns out we cannot get gas anywhere and not sure we can make it back from Orlando to Tampa

Joe BBC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been through several hurricanes with the worst being Andrew. I had an amazing 90 gallon reef tank that fully survived Andrew and never missed a step. I was smart enough to tell myself that power would be out for 2 or 3 days and so I decided to get a generator last minute not knowing that power would be out for a month!!!

If you can't run a generator your options are very limited. This is what I would do:

1) Home Depot has a battery inverter for an EGO 56V system. Slightly expensive but cheaper than many aquarium backups. I've never tried it...just looked interesting.

3) Scuba Tank/Cylinder. A full tank can last for a day or longer on a steady stream. You will have to figure out how to deliver air in a steady stream.

4) FANS FANS FANS!!! The tank will get hot. You need something battery powered to move air. Go buy 2 or 3 sports fans that people use to keep cool.

5) Your Car can provide power in a pinch. I would buy a battery inverted for the power plug to charge batteries etc.

6) Do you know/understand technology? Have you ever charged Lithium cells? Things for remote control cars and Airplanes??? A local hobby store with have 3 cell lipo packs that will give you 12.6. You can plug that battery directly into a DC pump to power it and it will power it for hours and sometimes days. It depends on the size you purchase but a large 5000 Watt hour can go for a long time. You need the charger and common sense as these batteries can be VERY dangerous if charged improperly.

7) Fishing store will have battery powered air pumps for live bait. Go...stop reading.

8) Unless you have a generator I would not bother with lights or cooling. Just keep in mind you will need them at some point.

9) How long will power be out? I'm in Miami. I have 2 generators. I have propane for Cooking and Hot water and a propane dryer for laundry. We lost power for 6 days with Irma and that was a CAT 1 or 2. If it's a direct hit, you will lose power for days if not weeks. We lost power for 1 month after Andrew. I learned my lesson. Buy a QUIET generator!!!
Thank you - I do understand most of it (#6) but no experience. Its a mess down here already. I am seriously thinking about a generator if I can find one. Generators not allowed? Rules! Let them fine me. Going shopping now.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you - I do understand most of it (#6) but no experience. Its a mess down here already. I am seriously thinking about a generator if I can find one. Generators not allowed? Rules! Let them fine me. Going shopping now.

I hate to mention names and I hope it's allowed. A Honda 1000 or 2000 is the best investment in Florida ever. That said, anything you can find that is small would be fine to power the tank and fridge. A fridge is about 550 watts. Tank motors are below 100 watts for all. Lights are about 90 watts each module. A fan is also easy to power.

Good Luck.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hurricane is going to be catastrophic. As it stands now we have a possible Cat 4 hurricane that will make landfall in West Palm Beach (+ or - 100 miles) and travel as a hurricane up the coast line several hundred miles hugging the coast. In other words, the most expensive real estate and also the older homes (not hurricane proof) that were built close to the coast will be the ones in direct line of Dorian.

This is going to be horrific...

Bmw015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha. That’s funny.’Durian’.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I hate to mention names and I hope it's allowed. A Honda 1000 or 2000 is the best investment in Florida ever.

Good Luck.

WE always mention names or brands when good products are mentioned.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I remember Andrew very well. Looked like a tank battle had taken place.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free Ticket
I am in Miami and not able to drive up due to coming hurricane.
I have a code for 3 day ticket. I have no clue if it is transferable but if someone wants to try, and is already on Orlando without ticket, let me know. I’ll send you the code.

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your Macna time in early! Updates says floor will be closing at 5pm today and 2pm tomorrow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It has already begun a turn North east and so far missing the keys and Miami area and if continued will hit very small part of state BUT aimed for Carolinas

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ciZ2GE8.jpg

Andddd it completely missed ‍

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back