Dorian and MACNA?

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in South Florida as well. The hurricane isn't really the problem.. its what comes with it... I'm in southwest Florida and gas shortages are everywhere... im sure we will be about out by tomorrow morning. lines are around the corner and its not even hitting here. I have to cancel my MACNA trip not cause of the hurricane but because Iill not have gas to return home. Gas does not come back for a WHILE after a hurricane...I work in healthcare so if im not back I get I don't have my job unfortunately I will miss MACNA :(. You guys buy some frags for me !
Im up the road in St Augustine and we already have lines. The problem for the folks at MACNA is that they are going to find it challenging get out of Orlando.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im up the road in St Augustine and we already have lines. The problem for the folks at MACNA is that they are going to find it challenging get out of Orlando.
I’m in Tampa. My buddy and I were planning to hit MACNA but may change plans just because I-4 is already miserable. I don’t feel like dealing with that traffic and getting stuck in Orlando for hours. Even the alternative routes may be jammed packed.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Tampa. My buddy and I were planning to hit MACNA but may change plans just because I-4 is already miserable. I don’t feel like dealing with that traffic and getting stuck in Orlando for hours. Even the alternative routes may be jammed packed.
Same here. I believe that they will start calling mandatory evacuations in South FL at anytime now if they haven't already. Once that happens 95, I4 and 75 will be packed and stalled all up and down the state. Airport closures will probably not start until Sunday night / Monday morning. Here is a picture from the latest model. But then again anything could happen with this monster. People who haven't lived in FL for a while may not know just what kind of destruction a storm like this brings.
dorian.jpg

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Count me out also. Don't want to get stuck in a line waiting for hours for gas. Don't want to wait hours in traffic just to get to MACNA either...

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone please be careful, my biggest fear like others have mentioned would be traffic.. a normal holiday weekend is horrible, throw in people evacuating and possible gas shortages things could get ugly quick.

Joe BBC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I will be getting a direct hit from Dorian. Please go North Dorian!!! I have only been in this hobby for 8 months and I am afraid. I live in a condo where generators are strictly forbidden so I bought a battery back up system. It will keep flow going (pump and power heads from Apex) in my 150 gallon for 3 hours. Any advice on what to do in case power is out for 24 hours? Truly scared in Jupiter. Making 30 gallons of salt water starting tonight.... No MACNA 4 me

Noob_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I will be getting a direct hit from Dorian. Please go North Dorian!!! I have only been in this hobby for 8 months and I am afraid. I live in a condo where generators are strictly forbidden so I bought a battery back up system. It will keep flow going (pump and power heads from Apex) in my 150 gallon for 3 hours. Any advice on what to do in case power is out for 24 hours? Truly scared in Jupiter. Making 30 gallons of salt water starting tonight.... No MACNA 4 me
Air stones go a long way

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe circulate water intermittently to conserve some of the power. During Irma, i was coming back from greece and got stranded in Chicago. Was without power at home for 4 days, sadly i lost my fish, but didn't lose corals or inverts. But that was cause no one was there to intervene. I'm sure it was an oxygen issue for the fish. I ordered some battery air pumps/stones this time from amazon, but i'll be home with a small generator that's just going to be used for the tank. Hoping for the best. Good luck

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you get really desperate you can oxygenate your tanks with hydrogen peroxide and potatoes. A powerless air pump. I have kept fish in buckets for a couple of days like this when I forgot to bring an air pump with me when traveling..

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I keep a few of these on hand and a bulk pack of quality D cell batteries there cheap, reliable and the batteries can be safely stored ready to go for years. You can find them in the fishing section at Walmart people use them for bait buckets.

DED5D698-FE04-4BC0-8BA2-85FC804E239D.jpeg

Joe BBC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a few of these on hand and a bulk pack of quality D cell batteries there cheap, reliable and the batteries can be safely stored ready to go for years. You can find them in the fishing section at Walmart people use them for bait buckets.

DED5D698-FE04-4BC0-8BA2-85FC804E239D.jpeg
Yes - looking at those now, thank you.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't have to just be in the Keys for Irma to be scary.

Yeah, you did have to live in the keys to be scared. A clickbait YouTube video isn’t really a good representation- all Florida natives are 1000% used to stores running out of water and gas, minor flooding, no power for a week, and a few trees down. So many hurricane parties- it’s awesome.

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you did haha. A clickbait YouTube video isn’t really a good representation- all Florida natives are 1000% used to stores running out of water and gas, minor flooding, no power for a week, and a few trees down. So many hurricane parties- it’s awesome.

That's a very ignorant response and my exact attitude about hurricanes until my experience with Irma. I don't have to prove my experiences and feelings to you. Just be safe.

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone heading to or at Macna now..... maybe we can get some traffic updates for those of us waiting till the last minute or just coming up for a specific day? That would help out a lot of us I think.

I'll be driving out tonight to Orlando... around 6-7pm. I can let you know.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very ignorant response and my exact attitude about hurricanes until my experience with Irma. I don't have to prove my experiences and feelings to you. Just be safe.

Is how I described it not accurate?

I’ll be indoors; aka safe

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is how I described it not accurate?

I’ll be indoors; aka safe

No. Not accurate at all because you were not here and obviously not affected. Lucky you.

Major flooding, homes/businesses destroyed, injuries and deaths. Major damage was not shown in the video because roads were closed for up to a week due to damage/flooding. I would not record injuries out of respect for those affected. Not a click bait video, but a personal vlog on my own experience. I have 2 previous "hurricane party vlogs" on my channel but Irma was definitely no party....in my experience.

But again, you won't know what it's like or respect the true power of a hurricane until you've been personally affected. So enjoy your party, and again, be safe.

Last edited:

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you did have to live in the keys to be scared. A clickbait YouTube video isn’t really a good representation- all Florida natives are 1000% used to stores running out of water and gas, minor flooding, no power for a week, and a few trees down. So many hurricane parties- it’s awesome.
Not necessarily...
CE232593-23A1-4D2D-87BA-2E79DFD2D469.png
79C25673-2898-4EF1-B5DD-00525AAA9EE2.png
8F815B84-CF83-47B1-868F-F752149AD568.png

It’s not always just a few trees down and the trees that did come down damages 50 homes in my neighborhood by HUGE oaks from tropical storms, that went thru the roofs. My cousin, her husband, 2 kids and 2 dogs were trapped in a bathroom for 4 hours in 3 1/2 feet of water during Hurricane Andrew, Irma wiped out a friends house. After going through Andrew, Floyd, Matthew and numerous tropical storms, I don’t underestimate what these storms can do. Just be safe everyone

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back