Dory's Reef, Upgrading so I can keep her!

OP
OP
Sonja

Sonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the build! If you are using an electrician to modify the existing wiring, installing GFCI outlets may be worth considering.
After googling what they are, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm after. I don't want to rely on just normal outlet sockets. so I'm getting the electrician out to make sure both the house and tank equipment are protected.

fishheadreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may. I was reading this post with a lot of curiosity. Is there a reason why your would not choose this set up for the reactor? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-dual-reactor.html

Just seems logical in may option. I am so new to this like the freshest newbie that you have ever seen and I just wanted to throw my thought that out there...

OP
OP
Sonja

Sonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may. I was reading this post with a lot of curiosity. Is there a reason why your would not choose this set up for the reactor? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-dual-reactor.html

Just seems logical in may option. I am so new to this like the freshest newbie that you have ever seen and I just wanted to throw my thought that out there...

I feel like a complete newbie too, even though I had my first tank for three years. After lots of reading and discussion im going with the set up agreed with the person doing the build. He owns a company that does set up and maintenance, he knows his stuff and will be supporting me until i fully know what im doing. At the moment the only reactor is phosphate. Im fully prepared to change things round as needed over time.

OP
OP
Sonja

Sonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My build day went really well, Aquascaping, sand and my old tank transfer are all being done Saturday. I've also ordered a lens to take better pictures which will hopefully arrive Saturday.

thumbnail_DAD416B9-27BF-4152-975D-7E00132C1B96.jpg thumbnail_DB8F4E79-9A17-4789-9BB2-3700FFF68D33.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3048.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3063.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3064.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3073.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3075.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3077.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3094.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3095.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3098.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3102.jpg

OP
OP
Sonja

Sonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is coming along nicely, my existing fish have settled in well and seem happy with their new home. All seem to be eating well.

Can anyone advise on what type of cycle I could expect to see? I used the media from my old tank with new sand, rock and water. the fish have been in for 9 days, the tank was set up 5 days prior. No bacteria or ammonia was added to start.

My parameters have looked good from the beginning, 48 hours after I added the fish there was the tiniest trace of ammonia which was gone by the following day. Ill get the readings and post when I get home tonight. About three days ago I had the smallest patch which could be considered diatoms, I used a turkey baster to remove and there has been nothing since.

Could that be it for the cycle or is it still to come? I haven't done a water change yet, first one is planned for the 14th unless I have reason to do it sooner.

reef.jpg

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a reefer 450 in May 2018 and I bought a baby hippo tang maybe 1 inch and Within a year she’s already 7 inches and now she’s dead ready for a new home. I would like to buy a 250 gallon tank just for her and maybe some angels. Couldn’t believe how fast the hippo outgrew the reefer 450.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is coming along nicely, my existing fish have settled in well and seem happy with their new home. All seem to be eating well.

Can anyone advise on what type of cycle I could expect to see? I used the media from my old tank with new sand, rock and water. the fish have been in for 9 days, the tank was set up 5 days prior. No bacteria or ammonia was added to start.

My parameters have looked good from the beginning, 48 hours after I added the fish there was the tiniest trace of ammonia which was gone by the following day. Ill get the readings and post when I get home tonight. About three days ago I had the smallest patch which could be considered diatoms, I used a turkey baster to remove and there has been nothing since.

Could that be it for the cycle or is it still to come? I haven't done a water change yet, first one is planned for the 14th unless I have reason to do it sooner.

reef.jpg
Not sure how much live media you used, but yes, you definitely could be cycled.

OP
OP
Sonja

Sonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how much live media you used, but yes, you definitely could be cycled.

Just what’s in the picture, but it’s from a tank that was over three years old.
I imagine there would be signs if it wasn’t cycled, my tang is over 4 inches and eats a lot so has a heavy bio load.
I was slightly terrified of having to put the fish in so quickly, but it seems ok so far.

390E7133-4D67-4D4B-B38F-08445B7B2ADB.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back