Dose a hammer and a flathead screw driver work for aquascaping?

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I am trying to smash up some dry rock and I’m on the fence on weather to purchase a chisel or just use a flathead screw driver I don’t need. Any other suggestions on ways to smash the rock and if there are tips on how to smash it precisely I would be great full to here them.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a screwdriver before. It might work. The trick is to strike it moderately all along where you want it to break and then go over that line again a few times hitting it slightly harder trying to get that line to fracture. A chisel is sharp though so it acts like a wedge when you do this. A screwdriver not so much.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Those are my go-to tools . . LOL

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are my go-to tools . . LOL
Question, is it okay to take some established rocks from my tank smash them and put them in a new scape? I would spray them constantly to hopefully keep the bacteria alive, but would this work and would the bacteria still be in the rock?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a screwdriver before. It might work. The trick is to strike it moderately all along where you want it to break and then go over that line again a few times hitting it slightly harder trying to get that line to fracture. A chisel is sharp though so it acts like a wedge when you do this. A screwdriver not so much.
I took a stone walling course a few years ago and this is exactly what you do to break stone where you want it for building a wall. I have some reef rock I want to break up for my tank so maybe the skills I learned will come in handy. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Question, is it okay to take some established rocks from my tank smash them and put them in a new scape? I would spray them constantly to hopefully keep the bacteria alive, but would this work and would the bacteria still be in the rock?
Yes you can

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back