Doser 2.1 head won't turn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered that the dosing head I'm using for my ATO wasn't keeping up. I tried to run it manually and at first it would turn slightly and then stall, but the motor was still running.

I wiggled the tubes just to see if something was amiss there and it seemed a bit of plastic fell from the output side of the dosing head. After that, when I hit the manual button the motor ran but no attempt for the head to actually turn.

So, I guess I need some replacement parts. The question is, do I need this:

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/dosing-pump-head-for-ghl-doser-2-1/

or this:

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/doser-2-1-pumps-maintenance-set/

Or all together something different?

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can ask GHL USA for a replacement head cover unit and roller if yours is still in warranty. Shoot Vinny an email and he will take care of you.

How much do you top off per day? I would suggest not using doser 2.1 as ATO if your top off amount is hitting 1 gallon per day range. The head will seize in a short running of time...

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine sticks on one of the heads at the slowest speed. It works on the next highest speed just fine though. Maybe turn it up and see if that helps?

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can ask GHL USA for a replacement head cover unit and roller if yours is still in warranty. Shoot Vinny an email and he will take care of you.

How much do you top off per day? I would suggest not using doser 2.1 as ATO if your top off amount is hitting 1 gallon per day range. The head will seize in a short running of time...
It's only topping off a 25g tank. I fill my 3g reservoir....once a week or there about.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine sticks on one of the heads at the slowest speed. It works on the next highest speed just fine though. Maybe turn it up and see if that helps?
It's running at the highest speed already. I don't think it's being overworked, as stated it doesn't typically run for very long/frequently. I would not think it is running more than it would on a high dosing demanding tank.

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's running at the highest speed already. I don't think it's being overworked, as stated it doesn't typically run for very long/frequently. I would not think it is running more than it would on a high dosing demanding tank.

Try to open the blue cover and see if there is grinding marks inside. Also check if there is plastic powder in there. From an early production doser 2.1 there is a tolerance issue where the 3 white roller will grind the butting blue cover then causing the roller to stop with debris in play.

You can eamil Vinny and he may help you to verify the production date of the doser. His email is below.

[email protected]

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a screwdriver that could open the cover of the dosing head to see what's up. Part of the lip on the inside of the blue cover has broken off. In turn, that broken piece got wedged in there making it impossible for the head to actually turn. I removed the piece and put the cover back on and it works fine. How it got broken though I don't know, it's not as if the doser has been dropped or anything close to it.

So, I guess, if anything I just need a new blue cover. Very strange.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a screwdriver that could open the cover of the dosing head to see what's up. Part of the lip on the inside of the blue cover has broken off. In turn, that broken piece got wedged in there making it impossible for the head to actually turn. I removed the piece and put the cover back on and it works fine. How it got broken though I don't know, it's not as if the doser has been dropped or anything close to it.

So, I guess, if anything I just need a new blue cover. Very strange.
Send an email to [email protected] and we'll get you taken care of :)

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What screwdriver did you use? A tiny flathead? They look like torx, but nothing fits

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine pump one of four stopped all together. i just noticed too that the two small torx that hold the white housing to the unit.. hold the pump to the unit.. are loose.. i try to tighten.. just turns.. try to loosen just turns and cant remove from the housing. GHL ? Help

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chicago - If the screws holding the white head base are lose, you'll need to open the lid up (via the 4 screws on bottom) - and grab the nuts on the back of the bolts holding the white head place.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so since it is lose. Do we think this is what caused the three rotors to fail. ?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so since it is lose. Do we think this is what caused the three rotors to fail. ?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so do we think then since the motoris lose that messed up the rotors not to rotate perfectly in circle fashion evenly divided and eventually fail?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL Cracked rotors.jpg

TWang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also using the GHL 2.1 doser. Two of the pump covers all grinded up on the inside and seized. Stopped dosing my alk. RTN half my sps corals. The other two pumps makes all sort of noises. I tried to contact GHL by email, phone and opened a ticket, no reply. Their support is non-existent. Terrible company. I read on other forums GHL dosers crashed thier tank and people cannot get any warranty service too.

-Alex-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also using the GHL 2.1 doser. Two of the pump covers all grinded up on the inside and seized. Stopped dosing my alk. RTN half my sps corals. The other two pumps makes all sort of noises. I tried to contact GHL by email, phone and opened a ticket, no reply. Their support is non-existent. Terrible company. I read on other forums GHL dosers crashed thier tank and people cannot get any warranty service too.

Totally agree with you. This was the main reason for me to switch over to a Ca rx and give the doser only less sensitive tasks which would not wipe out my tank. For the future I’ll stay away from GHL...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back