Doser dumped a gallon of all for reef in 120 SPS tank

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The max it hit was 14.9, and that was a day and an half after this happened and after about a 40% water change with salt testing at 8. I did 30% water changes the next two days as well and it went down about .5 - .7 everyday until it hit 10 which is where I’m keeping it currently. I’ll very slowly bring it down to 8 over the next month or so where I usually keep it.

As noted above, The good thing about an AFR overdose relative to a normal alk overdose is that the conversion capacity is likely absent for a fair amount of time as bacteria try to increase in numbers to consume all the formate. That may be why the peak was not higher.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All

Welp my Jebao doser dumped a little less than a gallon of all for reef in my 120 gallon reef tank. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do? I’m trying to see what LFS have saltwater near me to do a large water change. Anything I can do in the meantime.

UGH
I was considering getting a jebao to dose afr, I may reconsider now.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering getting a jebao to dose afr, I may reconsider now.
Regardless of brand I would be sure and use a container small enough that it won't be a total catastrophe with a stuck on failure. Everything will fail eventually it's just a matter of when and with dosers hopefully failure is in the off position.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of brand I would be sure and use a container small enough that it won't be a total catastrophe with a stuck on failure. Everything will fail eventually it's just a matter of when and with dosers hopefully failure is in the off position.
any amount of over dose will be catastrophe because i have a 25gal. Right now im using a versa, which i have never has an issue with. I want to switch afr to another doser and start dosing small amounts of kalk with the versa. AFR is awesome for my sps dom system but my calc and mag get low.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any amount of over dose will be catastrophe because i have a 25gal. Right now im using a versa, which i have never has an issue with. I want to switch afr to another doser and start dosing small amounts of kalk with the versa. AFR is awesome for my sps dom system but my calc and mag get low.
Gotcha, my tanks are larger. I'm not familiar with the versa pumps but kalk can be hard on dosers that use the tiny hose. I use a brs dosing pump on a digital timer for kalk in my 180g. I dose 2 part in two other tanks on dosers. One has two kamoer pumps, one an F1 and one an X1 (if my memory is correct) they work fine but the app isn't the greatest IMO. On my sps tank I run a 2 channel redsea reefdose and absolutely love it. While pricey I wouldn't hesitate to buy another reefdose if I needed a doser. I run two jebao return pumps and they are great but if they fail it's no big deal. If a doser fails it can be a very big deal. Just my 2 cents. I manually dosed for years and looked at the jebao when I decided to automate I just didn't have the confidence to try one.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, my tanks are larger. I'm not familiar with the versa pumps but kalk can be hard on dosers that use the tiny hose. I use a brs dosing pump on a digital timer for kalk in my 180g. I dose 2 part in two other tanks on dosers. One has two kamoer pumps, one an F1 and one an X1 (if my memory is correct) they work fine but the app isn't the greatest IMO. On my sps tank I run a 2 channel redsea reefdose and absolutely love it. While pricey I wouldn't hesitate to buy another reefdose if I needed a doser. I run two jebao return pumps and they are great but if they fail it's no big deal. If a doser fails it can be a very big deal. Just my 2 cents. I manually dosed for years and looked at the jebao when I decided to automate I just didn't have the confidence to try one.
the versa is a continuous duty dosing pump, I got it because it can dose down to .01ml. Its pretty bad butt. i have had great success using it. Im considering going back to 2 part but i need at least 2 dosers for the calc and mag. I had a very bad crash due to a brs doser, it dumped a bunch of DIY No3 solution into the aquarium and i lost alot of acro. I tried dosing Kalk w the versa and had problems with salinity getting to low.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All

Welp my Jebao doser dumped a little less than a gallon of all for reef in my 120 gallon reef tank. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do? I’m trying to see what LFS have saltwater near me to do a large water change. Anything I can do in the meantime.

UGH
How much AFR are you dosing daily ?

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this thread just now. I am very glad there have been no losses or major problems.
I want to switch afr to another doser and start dosing small amounts of kalk with the versa. AFR is awesome for my sps dom system but my calc and mag get low.
Please take care. Kalk may kill everything with high pH when overdosed.

If only calcium and magnesium, not alkalinity, are the problems, I recommend calcium chloride and magnesium chloride or magnesium mix dosing. Kalk will be less effective.

Please check also salinity and test kits to exclude other causes for low results.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this thread just now. I am very glad there have been no losses or major problems.

Please take care. Kalk may kill everything with high pH when overdosed.

If only calcium and magnesium, not alkalinity, are the problems, I recommend calcium chloride and magnesium chloride or magnesium mix dosing. Kalk will be less effective.

Please check also salinity and test kits to exclude other causes for low results.
i dosed kalk for a few days with good results but i was unable to maintain my daily alk consumption without lowering salinity too much. I would like to dose AFR and supplement with kalk for the added ph boost.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dosed kalk for a few days with good results but i was unable to maintain my daily alk consumption without lowering salinity too much. I would like to dose AFR and supplement with kalk for the added ph boost.

That’s a fine plan. How were you making the kalkwasser? Many people think they are making saturated kalkwasser with a stirrer, when in reality it may not be doing so.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All

UGH
Oh ok. :dizzy-face:
I just put a timer "1min." On/off on my jebao doser for safety and less product in bottle.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 TBSP per gallon of water, i have a 5 gallon container with a DIY stirrer.

A stirrer, or a batch wise reservoir?

Have you ever measured its potency? In a continually stirring and water entering/leaving application, the water may often be well below saturation.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A stirrer, or a batch wise reservoir?

Have you ever measured its potency? In a continually stirring and water entering/leaving application, the water may often be well below saturation.
Its a stirrer. It has a pump inside the reservoir that on a timer. No i never have, Not sure how too test the Kalk.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a stirrer. It has a pump inside the reservoir that on a timer. No i never have, Not sure how too test the Kalk.

Conductivity is the best way, with saturation about 10.3 mS/cm at 25 deg C, but pH can be a crude measure, compared directly to the pH of true saturated kalkwasser (say, 2 teaspoons solids in a cup of RO/di using the same probe at the same temperature).

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All

UGH
I hated my Jabao and replaced it with a bubble magus doser. Much, much better unit. Question, did the end of the tube dip into the water? That can cause it start syphoning into the tank. or was it just a malfunction of the unit?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a controller system (like Apex) I swear by the BRS 1.1mL/min dosing pumps. They were BUILT to last.

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dpoltsdsu & @mfinn

What dozers were you guys using? And was this a TOTAL dosing unit screw up or was it even remotely an excusable mistake / partial user error?

Reminds me of this:

I’m currently trying to figure out what doser to buy and stories like this TERRIFY me.
I started with the jabao and found it to be a cheap unit with very rudimentary programming controls. They also get out of calibration frequently Switched to the bubble magus upon reading many reviews of different units and I love it. More expensive but well worth it when you consider what can happen if it goes haywire.

OP
OP
dpoltsdsu

dpoltsdsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hated my Jabao and replaced it with a bubble magus doser. Much, much better unit. Question, did the end of the tube dip into the water? That can cause it start syphoning into the tank. or was it just a malfunction of the unit?
That was the first thing I checked. It was a malfunction unfortunately

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back