Dosing 2 part

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just got in a frag pack 15 new sps corals I checked alkalinity Hannah checker 8.1 calcium is 462 do I just need to dose alkalinity to get it up to say around 9 or is that to much? And no dosing calcium correct? Thanks

Those values are fine where they are. Keep testing alk daily and when it drops to 7.8, use an online calculator to determine how much you need to dose to bring it back to 8.1, and split the dose over three days. Keep testing alkalinity and dosing daily as needed. You can start adding an equal part of calcium once your ca drops to around 450.

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I dosed equal parts of A and B, my calcium would skyrocket. I dose way more alkalinity than calcium.

I'm in the same boat. Right now, I'm dosing far more alkalinity, then calcium. Is there a reason why this happens, apart from low magnesium? My magnesium is just fine, 1400

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those values are fine where they are. Keep testing alk daily and when it drops to 7.8, use an online calculator to determine how much you need to dose to bring it back to 8.1, and split the dose over three days. Keep testing alkalinity and dosing daily as needed. You can start adding an equal part of calcium once your ca drops to around 450.

I think 8.1 and 462 are just fine, but how do the corals look? Also, it's great to have a number like 8.4 dKH and 430 calcium, and forgive me for sayiing the obvious, but don't chase numbers.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. Right now, I'm dosing far more alkalinity, then calcium. Is there a reason why this happens, apart from low magnesium? My magnesium is just fine, 1400
I’m not sure how it happens. It’s all intertwined.... Salinity level, magnesium, how much corals eat, calcium.... there isn’t an easy answer as far as I know. All I know is that I add what I need. My husband is a chemist and he could tell me but I have so much other stuff in my head. ;Stig

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back