Dosing Cupramine?

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Quick question.

Cupramine directions say to redose every 48 hrs at 20 drops per 10.5 gallons.

I do not mean to sound dumb here but do I take these directions literally and dose 20 drops per 10.5 gallons every 48 hrs to maintain therapeutic concentration?

Just wanting to make sure before redose and just want to know how to redose accurately without having to constantly test.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You redose once after 48 hrs and then copper should be at therapeutic. Measure with a Seachem or Salifert copper test kit to confirm that. However, once a therapeutic level has been achieved (0.5 mg/L for Cupramine) then you shouldn't need to add more unless doing a WC. Also, note that any rock/sand in the QT will make it difficult to achieve (and maintain) a stable Cu level due to absorption.

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You redose once after 48 hrs and then copper should be at therapeutic. Measure with a Seachem or Salifert copper test kit to confirm that. However, once a therapeutic level has been achieved (0.5 mg/L for Cupramine) then you shouldn't need to add more unless doing a WC. Also, note that any rock/sand in the QT will make it difficult to achieve (and maintain) a stable Cu level due to absorption.

Thanks for the reply. So at the 48 hr mark, dose the exact same amount (20 drops for 10.5 gallons), and if I decide to do daily 2 gallon WC, then just add 4 drops per WC. Should that alone maintain therapeutic levels using only PVC fittings and an air stone?

I am using no LR or sand.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. So at the 48 hr mark, dose the exact same amount (20 drops for 10.5 gallons), and if I decide to do daily 2 gallon WC, then just add 4 drops per WC. Should that alone maintain therapeutic levels using only PVC fittings and an air stone?

Because you are dealing with velvet, yes. Otherwise, it's better to slowly ramp the Cu up over 4-5 days for just ich.

I strongly advise using a test kit to be sure your copper level is where you think it should be.

When doing a WC, you would actually want to dose 4 drops per gallon to maintain a therapeutic copper level using Cupramine. Because the initial dosage to reach therapeutic was broken up over two 48 hr periods. Make sense?

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am using no LR or sand.

My math may be off, but I think you need around 8 drops per 2 gallons water change not 4.
40 drops per 10.5 gallons is therapeutic level.
And I just realized that was already mentioned.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X2

kesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because you are dealing with velvet, yes. Otherwise, it's better to slowly ramp the Cu up over 4-5 days for just ich.

Hi humblefish. If you recommend dosing cupramine gradually, do you instead of 1st dose [full dosage(1/2) wait, and redose(full dosage (1/2), it's dosing everyday for 4 days [half dose on each day (1/4)]?
Also, one youtuber said half dosage from what seachem recommends is sufficient? Recommended = 0.5 mg/L, is anything below this effective.
I would love to hear your thoughts. Cheer

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble that that include an airstone?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's dosing everyday for 4 days [half dose on each day (1/4)]?

^^ This would be best, unless you are dealing with Marine Velvet Disease; in which case you would want to reach full therapeutic within 24-48 hrs.

When I spoke to Seachem about Cupramine they stated the therapeutic range for their product is 0.35-0.5mg/L. However, I would shoot for 0.5 due to inaccuracies encountered when using a hobbyist grade test kit and to provide some wiggle room in case your copper level unexpectedly drops.

Humble that that include an airstone?
I'm not following...

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am quarantining for preventative reasons, should I still dose with the Cupramine to reach therapeutic levels after WC?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am quarantining for preventative reasons, should I still dose with the Cupramine to reach therapeutic levels after WC?

Yes, use copper at therapeutic levels at all times or don't use it at all. Maintaining fish in subtherapeutic copper is dangerous because it can mask symptoms of ich, velvet and other parasites. It doesn't completely eradicate them; it just knocks the parasites back to low concentrations and then they come roaring back once the fish is moved into non-medicated water. :eek:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with humble, and would add that you should be dosing the cupramine into the bucket BEFORE the water hits the tank, rather than letting the level drop and then bringing it back up after. In my experience it takes about 10-11 drops to get a 5g bucket to .5ppm with cupramine, but you'll want to test the bucket water the first few times to be sure it is correct.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be purchasing fish from my LFS today (my first). They have already treated the fish with copper.

I will still quarantine them for no less than 45 days and will treat with Prazipro.

Should I again treat them with Cupramine for 30 days?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you once provide an answer that requires less work? :)

Unfortunately IME, ain't nothing easy about this hobby. ;) I learned a long time ago to just put in the work and do everything the right way, because taking shortcuts usually leads to disaster.

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's the 30 day figure from Humble? My bottle says 14 days, are you just doubling it to be double sure? :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's the 30 day figure from Humble? My bottle says 14 days, are you just doubling it to be double sure? :)

I'm taking into consideration that most strains of Crypto take closer to 30 days than 14 days to complete their lifecycle.

Back