Dosing Cupramine?

kesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You redose once after 48 hrs and then copper should be at therapeutic. Measure with a Seachem or Salifert copper test kit to confirm that. However, once a therapeutic level has been achieved (0.5 mg/L for Cupramine) then you shouldn't need to add more unless doing a WC. Also, note that any rock/sand in the QT will make it difficult to achieve (and maintain) a stable Cu level due to absorption.
Hi..the instructions on bottle says half dose for freshwater. What if im running hyposalinity during treatment? Do i mantain the dosage for usual saltwater?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not entirely sure, but I found this: http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/forum/general-discussion/2385-cupramine-and-salinity

I personally would not combine copper treatment with Hypo.

I've read the link. From your opinion, does it seem to suggest that toxicity level of copper regardless of freshwater or saltwater is 0.8ppm. For instance, the recommended dosage for freshwater is 0.25ppm. Does that mean, if 0.5 is dosed to freshwater, it would be fatal. Because, if it's still 0.8ppm threshold, it could be better to use hyposalinity and run lower levels of copper so you do have more room before toxic levels.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the link. From your opinion, does it seem to suggest that toxicity level of copper regardless of freshwater or saltwater is 0.8ppm. For instance, the recommended dosage for freshwater is 0.25ppm. Does that mean, if 0.5 is dosed to freshwater, it would be fatal. Because, if it's still 0.8ppm threshold, it could be better to use hyposalinity and run lower levels of copper so you do have more room before toxic levels.

In that discussion, Seachem Tech Support is saying that Cupramine is more efficient in FW than SW because "the higher the salinity level, the greater number of ions that are in solution, therefore, interfering with the copper efficiency." This is why Cupramine @ 0.25mg/L in freshwater gets the job done as well as 0.5mg/L in full saltwater.

So, you should be able to run Cupramine at a lower level in hypo and it still be therapeutic. However, since the discussion also states that salinity doesn't cause Cupramine to be any more or less toxic (just more efficient in lower SG), I would still shoot for 0.5mg/L in hypo conditions. All it takes is for one free swimmer to survive and treatment has failed. :(

For the casual reader, what has been discussed above is something unique regarding Cupramine. Most other brands of copper will tell you to treat at the same therapeutic level (or range), for both freshwater and marine fish.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always read people using cupermine but looks like some fish don't handle it well. Should I just gets Coppersafe? Will coppersafe be safe on all fish?

AquaHobby31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a very helpful tread. Starting to dose my quarantine for my existing fish and get ready for new fish.

anthonyhdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, use copper at therapeutic levels at all times or don't use it at all. Maintaining fish in subtherapeutic copper is dangerous because it can mask symptoms of ich, velvet and other parasites. It doesn't completely eradicate them; it just knocks the parasites back to low concentrations and then they come roaring back once the fish is moved into non-medicated water. :eek:
I have a 10g QT tank and I dosed 10 drops the first day and 10 drops the second day. My copper reading was at 0.51 which is what I want. I waited 48 hours and did a 50% water change and my copper reading is at 0.31, do I need to dose again if so how many drops? Any help is appreciated.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g QT tank and I dosed 10 drops the first day and 10 drops the second day. My copper reading was at 0.51 which is what I want. I waited 48 hours and did a 50% water change and my copper reading is at 0.31, do I need to dose again if so how many drops? Any help is appreciated.

So when you did the water change you removed water with copper in it and replaced it with freshly mixed saltwater without adding copper to the new water?

Dan buretta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ This would be best, unless you are dealing with Marine Velvet Disease; in which case you would want to reach full therapeutic within 24-48 hrs.

When I spoke to Seachem about Cupramine they stated the therapeutic range for their product is 0.35-0.5mg/L. However, I would shoot for 0.5 due to inaccuracies encountered when using a hobbyist grade test kit and to provide some wiggle room in case your copper level unexpectedly drops.

I'm not following...

Hello,
Just going to jump in this thread from 3 years ago here. I’m quarantining my fish and some new fish I got while I’m going fallow in my DT. It’s a seahorse tank sumped together with a reef tank and I was having issues with my horses getting parasitic infections (not sure what kind, you can’t really tell on seahorses other than heavy breathing and playing with their trigger). So I have a QT set up for just fish and another set up for the horses. I’ve never used cupramine before. I am putting 5 drops in per day which should get me to therapeutic .5 in 8 days. Can I/should I still run therapeutic for 30 days after that?
2 clowns
Blue tang
Convict goby
Green mandarin
Also should I take the mandarin out. Copper kills pods right?
Thanks for any advice you can send my way!

Back