Dosing for Algae Scrubbers

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all those who do dose your systems that contain algae scrubbers, which product have you used with great results to grow your algae for the scrubber?

I'm just connecting my algae scrubber to my system and was curious as to which product to began dosing.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Larry

OP
OP
Larry Stewart

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, I read where a form of iron was needed to increase the effectiveness of the scrubbers. However, I do have both phosphates and nitrates in the system.

Have you not had to dose/add Fe (Iron) for growth of your algae in the scrubber?

OP
OP
Larry Stewart

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. So, do you current add any additional trace elements or additives to your system for stability? Fe, Mg, Ca, Mn....etc due to the ATS depleting certain elements?

Or do you simply do water changes to correct the imbalance of depletion?

Reefology1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron and manganese are depleted rapidly in a reef tank utilizing macro algae for nutrient control (ATS/refugium) so I dose daily. Weekly water changes with a good quality salt should also do the trick.

dzolot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ats on my 150g display as the primary nutrient export, and do very infrequent water changes. I dose brightwell chaetowflow pretty sparingly, but to be honest i have no idea if it helps or hurts or is right or wrong! I asked brs about it in the public q&a on the product page and they gave a very wishy washy answer. Probably not a great response to your Q, so I would love to hear what others have to say!!

dzolot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AA601AFE-7843-48F2-8BD4-1D13CFD089C2.jpeg
Here’s my tank to give you a sense of how my tank is doing.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides iron and maganese, you can feed more food like nori to get it growing better. Mostly ats do well with red leds.

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all those who do dose your systems that contain algae scrubbers, which product have you used with great results to grow your algae for the scrubber?

I'm just connecting my algae scrubber to my system and was curious as to which product to began dosing.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Larry
Yes you will need to dose iron and traces in. We recommend Captiv8 Aquaculture Reef Blue Print Trace M/T. It was designed based off our scrubbers on the systems at ACI Aquaculture. You can reach out to them about where to pick some up. It is the purest and most concentrated trace dosing you can get and was specifically designed for systems with ATS’ on them.

OP
OP
Larry Stewart

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't do anything besides turn it on and run it 24/7. Grows like a champ and exports a ton.

I noticed when I clean it, if I leave a small amount on the screen it grows much better.
Thank you for this information. I had it running at 24/7 for a week....then I switched to 18 hrs a day.... it will be 2 weeks this weekend and the screen is starting to harvest its first algae patch. This photo was taken this morning.

Attachments

• 20211223_093423.jpg
    20211223_093423.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 78

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a simple DIY iron supplement using Fergon tablets from the drug store, if you want to dose iron (which I recommend). :)

OP
OP
Larry Stewart

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

How do you dose this Iron product? Crushed and diluted in water? What is your formula or solution to dosing pertaining to quantity ? Thank you for the response.
I recommend a simple DIY iron supplement using Fergon tablets from the drug store, if you want to dose iron (which I recommend). :)

reef3reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose ESV's Transition Elements (not the Plus version which includes carbon dosing) daily. It contains Fe, Mn and Zn which can rapidly deplete in a tank.

OP
OP
Larry Stewart

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the first scrapping on the screen and wanted to share. Also I started this product of Brightwell Aquatics called Ferrion which had occupied space on my shelf for a few years.

I am really thankful for all the information generated around this topic. Thank you all for adding you advice....and I'm sure there's more room for more advice. So please continue to add your information.

Attachments

• 20211229_042016.jpg
    20211229_042016.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 74

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

How do you dose this Iron product? Crushed and diluted in water? What is your formula or solution to dosing pertaining to quantity ? Thank you for the response.

My recommended DIY is:

Fergon tablets (from a drug store).

One Fergon tablet (ferrous gluconate) contains 27 mg of iron. Dissolve that in about 27 mL RO/DI (my recommendation, but other concentrations are OK, just don't dilute too much), the concentration is about 27 mg/27 ml ~ 1 mg/mL.

I dose ~1 mL to my tank with a volume of about 300 gallons once or twice a week.

Its only Money

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info here, Thanks to all that chimed in. I’m also looking to purchase a scrubber to export n03 & p04. Any recommendations? Looking at the CW-50 by clear water.

OP
OP
Larry Stewart

Larry Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info here, Thanks to all that chimed in. I’m also looking to purchase a scrubber to export n03 & p04. Any recommendations? Looking at the CW-50 by clear water.
The Clear Water Scrubber seems to be off to a good start for me. Nitrates are definitely going down and Phosphates aren't that far behind. A lot of algae growth has occurred since this past Wednesday morning's scraping of the screen. I'm going to wait a couple of days to scrape the screen again.

I am satisfied with the purchase and it already seems to be doing exactly what I have read seen...from the reviews and videos I will recommend this scrubber to anyone interested.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 59 29.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back