Dosing Kalk with Neptune DOS

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about dosing Kalk with my Neptune DOS to help raise PH. What is your experience with this?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't dose anything just to raise ph. If you need to dose to raise alk and calcium that's fine. If your dosing kalk and your corals aren't using as much alk as you're dosing then you will be raising your alk.

If your ph is too low 7.7 or so then try opening windows. Run an airline from outside to the air intake on the skimmer. Or a co2 scrubber on the air intake of the skimmer.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run a DOS to does Kalk via a avast marine kalk stirrer. kalk helps me meet my alk demands and reduced my calcium reactor output, small increase in ph.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much increase in PH?
Everyone's tanks will be a little different but overall my ph went up about 0.15ish. When my tank grow in, my calcium reactor demand will increase and will probably push the ph back down some with increase in CO2.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about dosing Kalk with my Neptune DOS to help raise PH. What is your experience with this?
Better way to raise pH is CO2 scrubber. Any chance you can install one?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a dosing pump to dose in my last tank for 9 years. Never had a problem. Been using a similar method in the new tank for 12 months. As long as you base it on Alk consumption, you just ramp it up over time, as your tank uses more. Just don’t make the reservoir of kalk too big, just in case, for whatever reason the dosing pumps sticks on. However, peristaltics should fail off, not on. I keep about 3 days worth of kalk in my container.

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run a DOS to does Kalk via a avast marine kalk stirrer. kalk helps me meet my alk demands and reduced my calcium reactor output, small increase in ph.

I have the same exact kalk stirrer, but have found that I can't seem to get my DOS to work effectively. I have the reactor filled up to where the kalk just starts to flow out, and then run the DOS to set a drip rate, but nothing comes out. My guess is the DOS pump is going so slow, that it would take forever to fill up enough where kalk drips out, despite having the reactor almost filled to the top.

I'd love to know how you made this work!

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same exact kalk stirrer, but have found that I can't seem to get my DOS to work effectively. I have the reactor filled up to where the kalk just starts to flow out, and then run the DOS to set a drip rate, but nothing comes out. My guess is the DOS pump is going so slow, that it would take forever to fill up enough where kalk drips out, despite having the reactor almost filled to the top.

I'd love to know how you made this work!
I sent you a DM.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you calibrate the DOS? How much water do you evaporate a day?

I also supplement other dosing methods but kalk helped keep my ph up.

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you calibrate the DOS? How much water do you evaporate a day?

I also supplement other dosing methods but kalk helped keep my ph up.
Thanks. I did. I'm not looking to dose Kalk as part of my top-off, but separate to supplement my CA reactor and help bump PH up a bit.

Back