Dosing Kalkwasser Manually

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know not a lot of people recommend this, but I'd like to dose Kalkwasser manually in my top off water (not ATO). I have a 15 gallon tank and was thinking that if I can calculate my water evap ever day, I can add a bit of Kalkwasser every morning to that as it shouldn't be too much. Would anyone have any information on the best way to do this? There is not too much information out there besides automating the dosage.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you needing to dose for a specific reason? With a 15 gallon tank I think general consensus would be water changes will keep everything where it needs to be. With such small water volume it would be difficult I imagine to dial it in properly but erring on the side of too little wouldn’t hurt. Up to you but with a hobby that is so difficult already why make it harder than it needs to be

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a kalk slurry in a shot glass daily. Calculate the dose, mix it in cold water and hit it once a day.

Cold water works better.

Anthony Calfo describes that in detail in his 2001 book on coral propagation. I did it for awhile back in the day.

OP
OP
KyRo

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Basically covered in 2 responses! I'm not dosing for specific reason yet, but I had some from a buddy that wasn't using it, so I wanted to possibly implement it into mine if I needed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the alk demand daily? Once a day dosing is OK for very low doses , and not OK for higher doses.

The concern with once a day dosing is the pH spike. Adding 1.4 dKH of alk via hydroxide (as in kalkwasser or sodium hydroxide) will instantly boost pH by about 0.6 to 0.7 pH units, which is, IMO, too much for most tanks unless the pH is very low to begin with.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried manually dosing, but adding .5ml per gallon seemed to sudden for me, so prior to using it in my ATO, I used a jug and airline tube with a bleeder valve to make it a very slow drip.

Issue with this is, it will clog quickly, but I had much more stable results and ran like that for a while.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your worried about using a doser there are alternatives.

The "little dripper" that are used for reptile enclosures work wonders for kalk application in low demand environments.

Mind you this isn't as precise as a doser but I would imagine it's better than dumping kalk once a day.

They come in half gallon and gallon sizes and have a dripper that comes with it.

Just a thought ;)

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't look forward to dosing and definatly would not unless necessary. Like @ilikefish69 stated the hobby is difficult enough already.
That said I dose kalk but in a larger system about 220g total I dose to keep alk up and also dose 2 part. The kalk I drip with a brs doser on a timer 24/7 45 minutes on 5 minutes off.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you needing to dose for a specific reason? With a 15 gallon tank I think general consensus would be water changes will keep everything where it needs to be. With such small water volume it would be difficult I imagine to dial it in properly but erring on the side of too little wouldn’t hurt. Up to you but with a hobby that is so difficult already why make it harder than it needs to be

^^^^ This ^^^^

With 15 gallons, your tank will be overall much better IMHO if you just did a simple water change since your consumption is likely low in the moment. A 5 gallon bucket would be about a 33% water change which while large, shouldn't be too much for the system. Ironically I say this when I personally don't change water, but that's only because the effort is just too much in a larger system. I am however working towards basic plumbing in place to support large water changes through tubes passing through the walls so that I can easily do one day. =)

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know not a lot of people recommend this, but I'd like to dose Kalkwasser manually in my top off water (not ATO). I have a 15 gallon tank and was thinking that if I can calculate my water evap ever day, I can add a bit of Kalkwasser every morning to that as it shouldn't be too much. Would anyone have any information on the best way to do this? There is not too much information out there besides automating the dosage.

You may know this guy ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you watch that video? What do you think?

I don’t generally have time to watch posted videos.

Is there a specific point that is of interest?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1/4 tsp dumped into a cup of water and poured into a display per 50 gallons every hour.. that sums it all up.. lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4 tsp dumped into a cup of water and poured into a display per 50 gallons every hour.. that sums it all up.. lol

That’s a fine approach.

Adding 1.4 dKH this way at once boosts pH by about 0.65 pH units (varies with alk and starting pH).

If you add that in ten equal portions spread out, the pH boost each time is small and it’s fine to do.

I’m not a huge fan of not dissolving the calcium hydroxide each time, but if you add it to a high flow area, it is likely ok.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's OK i know your busy, it's a short video that pertains to this thread, I was just wondering what you thought about the subject matter, as I respect your thoughts and knowledge. I assumed that you wouldn't suggest these ideas in the video or maybe you would, I was generally just curious about what you thought. :) :) :)

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that’s what I got out of it.. all 8 minutes lol
That's what she said

449e8c9e77a358f76aae9577ba360dc3.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back