DOSING NITRATE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SledHead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone dosing nitrate while using the Triton Method Core 7. My nitrates are less than one and my phosphate is less then .25 both according to NYOS test kits.

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done it. KNO3. There’s a few recipes out there. I got a nasty Dino outbreak after using Rowaphos in my triton tank. KNO3 and monopotassium phosphate to get my nutrients measurable.

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done it. KNO3. There’s a few recipes out there. I got a nasty Dino outbreak after using Rowaphos in my triton tank. KNO3 and monopotassium phosphate to get my nutrients measurable.

Hi Cflow
Im in the exact position for the same reason as you. My phosphate sits between 0.02-0.05 but nitrate is about 0.5-1
Did dosing nitrate rid u of dinos?

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t for sure say that if ridded me of dinos as I did multiple things to get rid of them. They definitely were less after I upped my nutrients but once I added a uv sterilizer they cleared up in about 3 days.

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks
I done a 3 day blackout and they completely disappeared and i added a uv steriliser the next day. 1 week later the started showing up again. Think the uv is keeping the numbers down but they are still there.
Ordered potassium nitrate to try that rout.

View Badges
Just doing research on potassium nitrate if you add sugar to it ,it becomes rocket fuel..so people that doses sugar shouldn’t use it and smoke next to aquarium.lol.I have same probless bare bottom tank been set up since sept.2019 turned light on Jan.1 2020 .I started dosing nitrate algae bloom should’ve put light on since beginning. But BRS stayed to keep them off when starting a new tank less algae yea right.not Bare bottom, nitrates at 2.5 phosphates at 0.wanted no fish tank just sps corals. It is possible but just more money to buy dosing chemicals to keep in check.We will figure it out 1 day first bare bottom tank ,we will,see In next few months.

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried a blackout and dosing H2O2 before. It works temporarily. I recall seeing a post recently that said raising the temp to 82 degrees will take care of them. My exact regimen was raising my NO3 and po4 , removing most of my cuc, letting algae take over, stop water changes, and using uv. I never changed my lighting schedule/intensity.Once Dinos gone for over 2 weeks I started weaning off the uv. I kept me sea hare in the tank because I noticed it actually ate the dead or dying dinos. Plus it ate the new algae that was growing.

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started when i did a large water change and when it came to switch the equipment back on I accidentally switched on my rowaphos reactor which had been sitting dormant with water in for a couple of weeks. A couple of days later i did an icp test which told me the iron in my tank had gone from 0.1 (tritons recommendation) to 5.3!
There was also a very small but traceable amount of copper. I strongly belive it was the iron which cause the dinos. Since then i have lowered iron to 1 which is still 10x the recommended amount but dinos have dramatically reduced.
Maybe you could try testing iron to see if that is maybe the culprit.
I had explosive algae growth in my refugium when iron spiked which may explain the algae in your display.
Also i may have to invest in a sea hare to help out, do they eat from sand bed too?

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update.
Raised nitrate to 5ppm using potassium nitrate and it stopped the dinos in their track. They were still visible at first but i kept stirring them up every other day and after 1 week they are gone.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back