Acrophobia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go with the Voss/Jebao setup

C369E0F3-CF61-4708-9DAC-D7A9D49A0B84.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought. The way you have it set up, there is a possibility to have a siphon created and dump all the contents from the containers. Unlikely, but it can and does sometimes happen. The solution would be to have the containers roughly at the same height as the tube terminations in the sump or tank, wherever you are making the additions.

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought. The way you have it set up, there is a possibility to have a siphon created and dump all the contents from the containers. Unlikely, but it can and does sometimes happen. The solution would be to have the containers roughly at the same height as the tube terminations in the sump or tank, wherever you are making the additions.
Just asking but wouldn’t the end of the tube have to be submerged for it to siphon?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I found food storage containers to work best on the economy side of things

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a couple of the Voss bottles waiting to be set up. @vetteguy53081 have any pics of your set up?
I have seaside aquatics and vertex containers but a while back used food grade
Will try and remember to take a pic after work

like these:

1601300759464.jpeg

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just asking but wouldn’t the end of the tube have to be submerged for it to siphon?
No, it would not. The container ends are submerged but the ends to the tank or sump do not need to be submerged. Gravity...

OP
OP
A

Acrophobia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is three rollers pinching the dosing tube. It’s possible but unlikely enough I’m willing to take the risk

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is three rollers pinching the dosing tube. It’s possible but unlikely enough I’m willing to take the risk
Best case scenario only two of the three rollers will ever be pinching the tubing. Often, only one will be pinching the tubing at any given time. If that one is, for some reason, not pinching completely due to wear, which happens to the rollers over time and the reason they sell replacement heads, then a dump can happen. I understand your willingness to chance it. I am no longer so cavalier with thousands of dollars of corals to potentially loose. Ask me why. I always say, if you can learn from other's mistakes...

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will happen unless you replace the tubing inside the diser heads on occasion. Form my experience they need to be replaced every 18 months or so. I really wonder why a length of replacement tubing is not included with these pumps? The cost o f the tubing is minimal in bulk. It is crazy how much places charge for it.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wonder why a length of replacement tubing is not included with these pumps? The cost o f the tubing is minimal in bulk. It is crazy how much places charge for it.

Why do you wonder, you just typed the reason. Low bulk price, high markup, customers being forced to come back to your store later or risk death of their pets.

To be completely fair though, buying a replacement at the same time as the original and just tossing it in a drawer somewhere isn't the best idea either. They still age if not stored properly, even if not used.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you wonder, you just typed the reason. Low bulk price, high markup, customers being forced to come back to your store later or risk death of their pets.

To be completely fair though, buying a replacement at the same time as the original and just tossing it in a drawer somewhere isn't the best idea either. They still age if not stored properly, even if not used.
Have you tried to find replacements? I do not know of a single store in my area that carries replacement tubing. Most online sellers do not stock it either. So you get forced to pay an insane price plus shipping typically to get 4” of tubing that in reality should be $.50! Just because your not organized, that is no reason they should not include 12” of extra tubing. Tape it to the back of your dosser if you can’t figure out a safe place to keep it till you need it.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried to find replacements? I do not know of a single store in my area that carries replacement tubing. Most online sellers do not stock it either. So you get forced to pay an insane price plus shipping typically to get 4” of tubing that in reality should be $.50! Just because your not organized, that is no reason they should not include 12” of extra tubing. Tape it to the back of your dosser if you can’t figure out a safe place to keep it till you need it.

Order a meter or two on aliexpress and seal it in something airtight and keep away from lights. You won't get it without any smaller markup unless you know some corrupt hospital or research staff, so your best bet is to buy a stash for the next decade or two and research how to make it last that long.

Welcome to capitalism, why would they give you something for free that you will definitely pay extra for if they don't.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back