Dosing rate of Kalk and ratio to total volume?

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Are you dosing 100% of your daily evap? I’m currently evaporating about 3 G a day. I am dosing 6L over 13 hours @ 8.33 ml a minute. How high can I push doing amounts? Over heard of people biking their tanks by over dosing. Is there a rule of thumb?thanks for the help.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
3 gallons of evaporation plus I am dosing 6L of kalk. So I have 3G’s I could increase my kalk dose up to.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 gallons of evaporation plus I am dosing 6L of kalk. So I have 3G’s I could increase my kalk dose up to.
Depends upon your Alkalinity demand. You can increase kalk as increasing demand dictates, but no higher than your evaporation, obviously.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to refer to alk demand. If you haven’t been checking alk you are not doing it right

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@piranhaman00 @Garf - My ALK demand has increased greatly since keeping my PH between 8.4 and 8.5 (I switch between sodium hydroxide and bicarb per rules in my apex). I am dosing about 200 mls of ALK daily at times my DKH won't keep up. I really don't want to increase the ALK I am dosing for fear of sand hardening, which I am not currently experiencing (I had this happen on another tank that I switched to a carx). If the dose per minute really isn't an issue it sounds like I can push up my amount I dose.

1) Should I expand the hours I am dosing it and back down on my dosing schedule? I when I am dosing KALK I am not dosing ALK. Essentially cutting back on dosing 1 of my "2 parts".
2) If you say I am doing it wrong, above is my scenario - What's the correction?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose up to your evaporation rate of saturated kalk. If you need more you can dose a kalk slurry. That is something you would have to research. I know of it and how it works but have never actually done it.

EDIT: I have one tank on kalk. I dose 7200ml saturated kalk daily over 24hrs using a brs 50ml minute pump on a digital timer. That is just a little less than my evap rate.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 74 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back