Dossing Kalkwasser using a doser

Reaper_Six_Four

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
So I've recently noticed that my Alk was somewhat on the low side (~7.4) , my Cal being ~ 410ish and Mag ~ 1400, pHwas inherently low so I decided my course of action was to use Bicarbonated water to raise my ALK and pH to ~9 dKH. I've since then been able to get it to my target. My question is this, I'd like to start using dossing Kalk regularly (using a doser on a schedule).
*What is the best way to dose it using this method?
*How much Kalk should I use in a day and what sort of schedule should I follow? 1Xs,2Xs,3Xs,4Xs, etc. a day?

I'd be using a Hydros X4 controller and Hydros doser

Thank you.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to mix it with my top off water.
Many only do it @ night to keep the PH up.
You should have some idea of how much you need by what you have already done.
The end of the dosing tube will need cleaning to prevent it from clogging.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, an alkalinity of 7.4 dKH is not low. It is fine and higher than the ocean. 9 dKH is also fine.

No one can tell you the dise needed each day to maintain 9 dKH. I'd watch it a coulple of days wand watch how fast it drops. Based ont eh drop you can set a starting dose.

Limewater (kalkwasser) must be dosed slowly, buy dropper or dosing pump or ATO, unless it is a very low amount, due to the pH burst.

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose overnight to keep my ph higher in the evening. I figured out my alkalinity needs by day and then dose that from 9pm to 9am equally (lights out). For example to raise my Dkh by 1 it takes 1 gallon of saturated kalk. I spread that 1 gallon over the 12 hour period equally. I did this with a Jebao dosing pump doing 48 equal doses using two heads. Now I use a Neptune dos that automatically spreads it out evenly for me. This method only works if your evaporation is equal to or greater than your needs. If my evaporation is not enough I just turn on a fan blowing at the top of my tank. That will increase my evaporation from 1-2 gallons a day to 2-3 gallons depending on the humidity in my home.

Reef dosing calculator

Boogieman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently started dosing kalk.it has been about 6 months . I have a 120 with very little coral .. 2 teaspoons per gallon in a 1 gallon jug. Picked a random number and started dosing .. Ran this for a few days and checked again. I was up to about 800 mls per day changing every few days and was still not at my target alk.
Got tired of going slow and went straight to 1500 mls per day. My alk went to 9 and stayed there for months. I have recently added a few more coral and it has dropped to 8.7. I use a neptune DOS so the amount is spread automatically . And I have switched to an empty 5 gallon salt pail so I only have to mix about once every week and a half too 2 weeks . It was very simple and it's easy to mix up. The only thing I would suggest is do not increase as fast as I did ... maybe 100 mls a week or something instead .. though my Calcium did not seems to drop I did get what I think is calcium precipitation in the form of white hard crusty dots on everything..... that has since stopped . Once I clean it off now it doesn't come back. I attribute it to the drastic increase.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back