Dottyback tankmates

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions on tankmates. 55 gal tank/10 gal fuge. I currently have:

2 Maroon Clowns
2 Chalk Bass
1 Orange Spot Goby
1 Lawnmower Blenny

And of course the splendid dottyback. He's about 3". The dottyback was the last fish placed but nipped at the fins of my bangai cardinals, so the cardinals went back to the LFS. I really love the splendid dottyback so I'm definitely going to keep him. He did nip one of the chalk bass but its tail has grown back so I think they figured out how to stay away from him. Shows no interest in the goby (protected by a pistol anyway) and the blenny. Maroon clowns, well we all know about maroon clowns.

So I'm looking to add one more fish, I think I have the capacity for it, that will be able to either run (without being stressed) or stand up to the dottyback. Of course it makes thinks a bit more difficult since it will be the last fish added. Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

alveopora guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally fish won’t go after something with a different body shape then it. With the Bangaii cardinal it could have been the long fin that enticed the dottyback to go after it. Do you have coral?

alveopora guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have coral.
I love coral beauty angels, but they are a bit of of a risk in a reef tank. I’ve always taken the risk, and I’ve never had one pick at coral. But everyone has different experiences with dwarf angels.

OP
OP
C

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love coral beauty angels, but they are a bit of of a risk in a reef tank. I’ve always taken the risk, and I’ve never had one pick at coral. But everyone has different experiences with dwarf angels.

I've thought about it but I'm more worried about my inverts with a CB. Two skunks and an white spotted anemone shrimp. What do you think?

alveopora guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about it but I'm more worried about my inverts with a CB. Two skunks and an white spotted anemone shrimp. What do you think?
I don’t think a cb should be a problem with them. They mostly pick at inverts like clams and feather dusters. They normally don’t pick at shrimp, but every fish is different. If you get a smaller one I don’t think there will be an issue though.

alveopora guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauties looking at other peoples experiences are the most likely to eat coral out of the dwarf angels. Another one of my favorites is the flame dwarf angel, but they all do have a risk

OP
OP
C

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauties looking at other peoples experiences are the most likely to eat coral out of the dwarf angels. Another one of my favorites is the flame dwarf angel, but they all do have a risk

I think you all are on to something with an angels. Have you heard anything about lemonpeel or pygmy cherub?

alveopora guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you all are on to something with an angels. Have you heard anything about lemonpeel or pygmy cherub?
I love lemon peels easily one of my favorites they are just hard to find for me in the local fish store, and I like being able to see the fish in person. And they are both the same risk as the coral beauty. It’s always a toss up with the dwarf angels

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back