Dr. Tim's bacteria shelf life?

Nerdist Aquarist

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 12, 2019
Messages
163
Reaction score
126
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased Dr. Tim's Refresh and WasteAway from BRS, the date on the bottles are from 2018. Are these any good still? Not much info on expiration dates. I haven't opened the bottles just in case I decide to return them.

This is my second time buying these, first was from Amazon and I ran into the same issue receiving expired bacteria. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone actually sells fresh versions of these bacteria, lol.
 
I purchased Dr. Tim's Refresh and WasteAway from BRS, the date on the bottles are from 2018. Are these any good still? Not much info on expiration dates. I haven't opened the bottles just in case I decide to return them.

This is my second time buying these, first was from Amazon and I ran into the same issue receiving expired bacteria. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone actually sells fresh versions of these bacteria, lol.
From what I've been told, and this was not about Dr. Tims explicitly, bottle bacteria has a shelf life of approximately 1 year if kept in refrigeration. On Dr. Tims website it says "Good for 6 months at room temperature, 1 year at 50F (10C). Keep refrigerated for longest shelf life. Directions for Use: SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING." (Though that's specifically about the "One and Only")
 
I just came across that Info too, thanks! I'm going to return them.
 
Do you think the Dr Tim’s bacteria keeps the same expiration date if the bottle has been opened? I have a bottle that is still good but was opened about 6 months ago to use a small amount. It has been stored in the fridge since then.
 
Dr Tim’s is very slow to act and I think folks are better off using Fritz Turbo start if you want to cycle with bottled bacteria.

An old and opened bottle likely has lost some potency.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new