Dr. Tim's bacteria shelf life?

Nerdist Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased Dr. Tim's Refresh and WasteAway from BRS, the date on the bottles are from 2018. Are these any good still? Not much info on expiration dates. I haven't opened the bottles just in case I decide to return them.

This is my second time buying these, first was from Amazon and I ran into the same issue receiving expired bacteria. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone actually sells fresh versions of these bacteria, lol.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased Dr. Tim's Refresh and WasteAway from BRS, the date on the bottles are from 2018. Are these any good still? Not much info on expiration dates. I haven't opened the bottles just in case I decide to return them.

This is my second time buying these, first was from Amazon and I ran into the same issue receiving expired bacteria. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone actually sells fresh versions of these bacteria, lol.
From what I've been told, and this was not about Dr. Tims explicitly, bottle bacteria has a shelf life of approximately 1 year if kept in refrigeration. On Dr. Tims website it says "Good for 6 months at room temperature, 1 year at 50F (10C). Keep refrigerated for longest shelf life. Directions for Use: SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING." (Though that's specifically about the "One and Only")

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back