OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you supposed to dose this with a refugium going? Or should you remove chaeto before dosing?
I did not have a refugium and chaeto while adding, but I'll say I think the macrophage bacteria consumes nitrate, Dinos, and carbs. So I think it could affect nutrients for your chaeto. Not sure though.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you supposed to dose this with a refugium going? Or should you remove chaeto before dosing?
No you don't need a refugium. I believe it has macrophage bacteria which consumes nitrates as well. I don't think you need to remove chaeto. I would do half dose and see how everything reacts.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have mine beat for the most part. The ID is good as mentioned to pinpoint a best treatment plan. I don’t know how to use a microscope let alone a camera to take the pix.

I have continued what I mentioned prior. For my 180 2 times a week I dosed the vibrant, nightly dosed the MicrōBacter. I left the sock in to catch any larger particles to remove the mechanically. I ran the skimmer wide open as mentioned for O2. I also ran carbon to address and potential issue of chemical release from the dying Dino. Bubbles disappeared and cyano showed up. I just finished chemiclean. Tanks now got turf algea. Got a clean up crew coming if mail ever gets here. Next I think comethe plague:)

My tanks is not 100% where I want but I think it’s getting there. Both things I dosed into the DT. One at night, one in am. If Tim’s is like MicrōBacter it says turn off uv for 4hours to avoid killing what you are putting in. I then put my uv back on until next dose.

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It turns out that it looks like mine isn’t dino’s, but in my quest for information I joined a dinoflagellates group on Facebook. I am not an expert, never fought them myself so far and hopefully never, so take this with a grain of salt, but I wanted to share in case it is helpful. Several people are having luck with this regimen. Different people have different strains, different tanks, and so different things work for different people. It’s another to in your tool box if nothing else.

1CB97CB2-8ACD-48D7-B3F5-8748CE2FC4E4.jpeg

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the strain, carbon dosing wont help, just make it worse.. identification is a must for dinos, you can pick up a kids microscope on amazon for super cheap 20 or 30 bucks. thats what i did on the second tank. most of us get ostreopsis dinoflagellates, where carbon dosing is not the cure, it will only make things worse, they love 0 nitrate and 0 phosphates. to add to that your only hurting your necessary bacteria population by starving them out to some degree. just my .02

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the strain, carbon dosing wont help, just make it worse.. identification is a must for dinos, you can pick up a kids microscope on amazon for super cheap 20 or 30 bucks. thats what i did on the second tank. most of us get ostreopsis dinoflagellates, where carbon dosing is not the cure, it will only make things worse, they love 0 nitrate and 0 phosphates. to add to that your only hurting your necessary bacteria population by starving them out to some degree. just my .02
Doesn't alcohol feed bacteria? Trying to wrap my head around this story.. Thx

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used Dr. Tim’s, but I am doing the same right now with Vibrant and MicrōBacter 7. I would try to get as much out mechanically as you can. Use a fish net if they are floating and change out the socks often.

The Dino can be toxic when they die in big enough numbers. I may run the skimmer but let it overflow back in the sump just to make sure you keep O2 up. Also run carbon if you can with Dr Tim. Check first, some recommend no carbon.

Let us know how it works.
I have been using the same 2 products. At first I was just following the regular dosing recommendation and about every 3 days I would dose one or the other so and so on. I recently started still following the same amounts but one of each on alternating days. Do you know how much I should dose? I have a 36 gallon with 10 gallon sump. I was thinking of switching to dr tims since there is an actual recipe. The mb7 and vibrant plus 2 low watt uv sterilizers in my pump have cleared rocks and sand but still on walls! It may not even be dinos but chemiclean did nothing. It has never been snotty or stringy or had bubbles except on the film on the glass has bubbles attached to them in some places. Appreciate any advise. Ijust relized this is an old post. How did that method work for you?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. I caught Dinos outbreak when it first started. Saw the strings with bubbles growing from rock and sand. I'd say my tank was 50% covered. Even growing on my frags. It was not extreme.
  2. Dr tims waste away half dose only.
  3. Removed cap and let my skimmera run overnight. This created extra bubbles in my tank so there is extra oxygen
  4. Removed sock for one night only .
  5. I only dosed it one time and used aquavitro fuel is an carb source. The half dose made my tank cloudy for a week. They recommend weekly dose but I had a long term strategy to create an environment where Dinos couldn't thrive, so I only plan to dose if I get another outbreak
  6. I wouldn't recommend a full dose.. u risk starving fish of oxygen
Are you telling me dosing this one night worked?

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried this, didn't work. Even did the waste away and refresh package. The only thing that worked for me was dinox.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back