Dr. Tim's Waste Away to treat Dinoflagellates bloom

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I just realized that I have a Dino bloom while i was out of the country for four days. I've done research all weekend to try and fight it. I plan to do the following:

1. Will stop weekly water changes until i get this under control
  2. Dosed 32.5mL of Dr Tim's Waste Away for my 65G tank (already done). No bacteria bloom so far. Skimmer is turned off.
  3. Ordered a 20W UV sterilizer (Based on the Mega Dino thread on here). Plan to install that as soon as it arrives.

I have a question on Dr Tim's Waste Away. I turned off the skimmer, but wonder if i can keep the filter sock in. Right now i removed it, but dead dino flakes are now floating at the top of my tank. Can i add the filter sock back in or will that kill Dr. Tim's Waste Away bacteria?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used Dr. Tim’s, but I am doing the same right now with Vibrant and MicrōBacter 7. I would try to get as much out mechanically as you can. Use a fish net if they are floating and change out the socks often.

The Dino can be toxic when they die in big enough numbers. I may run the skimmer but let it overflow back in the sump just to make sure you keep O2 up. Also run carbon if you can with Dr Tim. Check first, some recommend no carbon.

Let us know how it works.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used Dr. Tim’s, but I am doing the same right now with Vibrant and MicrōBacter 7. I would try to get as much out mechanically as you can. Use a fish net if they are floating and change out the socks often.

The Dino can be toxic when they die in big enough numbers. I may run the skimmer but let it overflow back in the sump just to make sure you keep O2 up. Also run carbon if you can with Dr Tim. Check first, some recommend no carbon.

Let us know how it works.
How do you keep O2 up? I turned up my powerhead to increase flow. Is that good enough? The YouTube video said to use the skimmer to aerate the tank, but didn't explain exactly how. Is that what you mean by turning the skimmer on but just letting overflow back ?

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can stick an air stone in the water to increase O2. As for the filter sock, I don't see why you can't leave it in. I'm sure someone more experienced will come along though.

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr Tim's Waste Away but didn't see any effect other than my water got incredibly clear (I thought it already was clear). I don't see how filter socks could change it's effect. Watch your nutrients as bacterial additives can lower them!

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fought dinoflagellate osteropsis and was successful adding a UV sterilizer after trying a few different things. As long as it a strain that lives in the water column, UV should work.

You can see the details and the pictures of my dino battle at

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...-of-the-coral-farm.569126/page-3#post-6113180
I went through your thread and its great info. Beautiful tank btw. Can you share with me the following?
-What UV Sterilizer did you buy? Was it the 25W Aqua UV and was it 3/4" 0r 2"?
-What additional plumbing did you for the UV sterilizer.

I want to get to where you are with your sump set-up, but i dont think i can afford it for now, so it would be good to get advice on an easy set-up for UV sterilizer for now.

Kalibur2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started the process today with waste away. Left socks on. Turned off skimmer

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy on Facebook just PM'd me and said he gave up on his 180G tank and started to overfeed his fish so they can be fat and happy before the tank crashed. Within a few days, his tank was cleared of Dino. I think the overfeeding promoted growth of beneficial bacteria and outcompeted the Dinos. thought i share with you all as i started to feed my fish more as well.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started the process today with waste away. Left socks on. Turned off skimmer
You should consider keeping skimmer on without the cap (allowing some aeration and it to overflow, as this helps support the benefical bacterial and increases O2 so you dont risk fish dying). What size tank and how much did you dose?

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 3 distinctive species of dinos, it would be best to see what you have under a microscope before you treat or dose. This will help to be able to get a good plan of action vs trial and error.

I just saw the thread, you did exactly that. I've had dinos in 2 different tanks so far. Keep the phos up to 10ppm and nitrate to at least 5 if you can bypass the fuge and and limit or turn off fuge lighting. The UV will help initially but they come back rather quick uv or not. I also dump the skimmer cup back in after 3 days of skimming pretty dry, also watch out for blue green algae that seems to be the die off phase of the dinos. I've had it both times and had to scrub the rocks after.

Last edited:

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went through your thread and its great info. Beautiful tank btw. Can you share with me the following?
-What UV Sterilizer did you buy? Was it the 25W Aqua UV and was it 3/4" 0r 2"?
-What additional plumbing did you for the UV sterilizer.

I want to get to where you are with your sump set-up, but i dont think i can afford it for now, so it would be good to get advice on an easy set-up for UV sterilizer for now.

For the frag tank that had the dinos it’s around 125-130 gallons. I went with the AquaUV classic 57W with 2” unions and have a flow rate of around 300gph that gives it around 280,000 uws/cm2 of Uv power; the bottom of the range of UV light measure to render the free swimming stage of marine ich unable to reproduce. You don’t need that much to kill dinos.

I think to sterilize dinos you need around 60,000 uws/cm2. Don’t quote me on that, my memory might be serving me wrong so you could do with less of a UV unit if you don’t care about ich. You’ll need to research this number! Keep in mind, this will only work for dinos that live in the water column. Identifying your strain of dinos will be helpful to understand your treatment plan.

I actually have two return pumps on my frag tank so I just added my UV unit inline to one of the pumps with a Neptune flow meter connected to apex to achieve 300gph. I just sided a 2” to 1” reducing bushing to connect the UV unit.

b109d6fe-8e79-4368-a90c-8abb7d83f831-jpeg.1087385

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 3 distinctive species of dinos, it would be best to see what you have under a microscope before you treat or dose. This will help to be able to get a good plan of action vs trial and error.

I just saw the thread, you did exactly that. I've had dinos in 2 different tanks so far. Keep the phos up to 10ppm and nitrate to at least 5 if you can bypass the fuge and and limit or turn off fuge lighting. The UV will help initially but they come back rather quick uv or not. I also dump the skimmer cup back in after 3 days of skimming pretty dry, also watch out for blue green algae that seems to be the die off phase of the dinos. I've had it both times and had to scrub the rocks after.
For blue green algae, can I just add a clean up crew?

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Po4 need not be any higher than .1ppm phosphate around 33 ppb phosphorus, 5 or above no3

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, i just wanted to close the loop on this and let everyone know that Dr. Tim's Waste away did work for me. No more dino outbreak. Cloudy tank for about a week, but my tank is thriving now.

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, i just wanted to close the loop on this and let everyone know that Dr. Tim's Waste away did work for me. No more dino outbreak. Cloudy tank for about a week, but my tank is thriving now.

Did you just use Dr. Tim’s waste away? How long did you dose it for and how frequently?

How bad were your Dino’s? No fish or coral died?

Thanks

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just use Dr. Tim’s waste away? How long did you dose it for and how frequently?

How bad were your Dino’s? No fish or coral died?

Thanks
  1. I caught Dinos outbreak when it first started. Saw the strings with bubbles growing from rock and sand. I'd say my tank was 50% covered. Even growing on my frags. It was not extreme.
  2. Dr tims waste away half dose only.
  3. Removed cap and let my skimmera run overnight. This created extra bubbles in my tank so there is extra oxygen
  4. Removed sock for one night only .
  5. I only dosed it one time and used aquavitro fuel is an carb source. The half dose made my tank cloudy for a week. They recommend weekly dose but I had a long term strategy to create an environment where Dinos couldn't thrive, so I only plan to dose if I get another outbreak
  6. I wouldn't recommend a full dose.. u risk starving fish of oxygen

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you supposed to dose this with a refugium going? Or should you remove chaeto before dosing?

Back