started reefing 1999View Badges
R2R Secret Santa 2019Build Thread Contributor
- May 2, 2013
- Reaction score
- MONTANA^^^Big Sky Country
Thanks! I use a modified SPS AB+ over the Reefer 250. Peak hours are still 7 hours, but ramp up/down is slightly different then the template. Note that I have do have 3 xr15w over the reefer 250, so if you're using 2, you'll probably want the brightness at peak higher. Don't quote me on this, but I think before I got the third xr15w I was running around 80-85% brightness.Beautiful set ups! I have a quick question about your light schedule, what % are you running your radions over your reefer 250? I ask because im about to upgrade from a nuvo 10 and 20 to a reefer 250 and already have the xr15s. Thanks!
Awesome and thank you!Thanks! I use a modified SPS AB+ over the Reefer 250. Peak hours are still 7 hours, but ramp up/down is slightly different then the template. Note that I have do have 3 xr15w over the reefer 250, so if you're using 2, you'll probably want the brightness at peak higher. Don't quote me on this, but I think before I got the third xr15w I was running around 80-85% brightness.
When I set up a frag tank with existing live rock, new water, some pumps and a skimmer I had “Dino’s” growing over my eggcrate (black and white ones) at about the month mark. I’m guessing it was dinos based on pics but I never did put them under a scope. They went away on their own after about 3 weeks. They kinda lightened up in color, became white then died. Whatever it was I was dealing with looked like the Dino’s you put in a bucket. I’m glad a UV took yours out.------ Frag Tank (Day 88) ------
Just got done with a battle of dinoflagellate ostreopsis. My nutrients had pretty much zeroed out and then the dinos took over. Dinos covered egg crate, the small amount of rocks in the tank and then slowly, they started to cover acro frags and significantly bother BTAs.
Here's a picture of them in tank. They were worse than this, but I can't seem to find a picture of it.
In the bucket they definitely don't look pretty. Very much like brown snot.
Here's what the little buggers look like under the microscope.
At first I just tried feeding more and got nitrates up to 5ppm and phosphates up to 0.1, but this didn't help clear them out. Tried upping the fuge photoperiod once nutrients were up and seeing if chaeto could out compete it, didn't work. Siphoning it out didn't help either, it would just be back in full force the within a couple days. This probably lasted around 2-3 weeks and it was starting to become painful to watch once acros started being covered.
So I broke down and bought an Aqua UV Classic 57 Watt sterilizer. Talk about a miracle cure for this particular strain of dinos. After a good siphon session the day of installing it and basting/blowing the dinos off the egg crate, rock and frags daily, they were pretty non-existent by day 4. Seven days later, there was zero trace of them. It was pretty awesome. Two weeks have gone by since installing the UV sterilizer and tank is back on track and crystal clear.
I have my unit plumbed on one of my return pumps. Installed a 1" Neptune flow sensor to measure the flow rate and I'm putting 300-310 gph through the unit.
I think I was lucky and so far, I only had one casualty, a frag of BC Backdraft.