Dragon Eel

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally was able to get my dragon eel for only $400. He's about two feet long. However I have some questions.

What is the difference between a male and a female? I was told that it was a male, but I don't see a difference.

Also, I don't know if my dragon eel is a japanese or a hawaiian. I don't have pics now (coming soon), but it has a bright orange head and brownish orange body. I think it is a japanese.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics would be nice, the bright orange head does sound like a male. The females coloring is much more muted. While I have seen females with some orange, I really wouldn't call it bright. The orange or red marking of the male is obvious and striking. I'm not sure if you can really tell if it is Hawaiian vs Japanese, some may say you can, while others will argue it's the same species. It's like the harlequin tusk argument, some will say the Hawaiian has brighter coloring. Keep him in a healthy tank and feed him well and you can call him which ever you want. At 2' he still has some growing to do, and his coloring will become even brighter. Happy for you, I looked for a year several years ago and gave up, theres' a store here now with a male and a female, overpriced and I have no where to put them now. $4oo is a good score.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like to say, I'd love to see a picture too!

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unbelievable price. Good for you. Last one I saw in New Jersey was $1,100.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishy Business Aquatics usually has a good deal on them when they are on sale. But still double the price of what I got mine. Even then, way cheaper than other places you get them.

My friend got his from them at a price of not even $800. He tried to give me it as a gift but I insisted to pay since he was a college kid, he shouldn't be dropping money like that, but I appreciate it. I insisted to pay half since that would make us both happy.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
Last night while I was feeding my snowflake eel i notice that he has two antlers I didn't saw before, sometimes we don't really takes time to know what we have in our tank, he eats few silversides and back into hiding until next time he is hungry again, I love the way he come out of hiding looking for food when I'm feeding the rest of the fishes, only one problem.... one of my tangs when see the eel coming out to eat get very close to him and hit him with his tail, it surprise me to see that the other day, I find it funny but at the same time little concern that the tang behavior will scared him so much that he stop coming out to eat when hungry... what you guys think?

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has almost been a month, but for some reason this eel ain't eating. It was eating well when I came to pick it up. I have tried everything frozen (including market stuff) to live prawn. Ignores them all. I haven't tried live feeder fish however, which I should.

I know water parameters are pristine since it is in a thriving acro tank.

What should I do now? It seems to do fine now, but I'm kinda getting worried.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has almost been a month, but for some reason this eel ain't eating. It was eating well when I came to pick it up. I have tried everything frozen (including market stuff) to live prawn. Ignores them all. I haven't tried live feeder fish however, which I should.

I know water parameters are pristine since it is in a thriving acro tank.

What should I do now? It seems to do fine now, but I'm kinda getting worried.

While eels can be temperamental when moving or any changes to their environment, many times it just takes a little time for them to settle in. Something to be concerned with is after a move, the stress can spurn an underlying issue. I noticed you said you got it from a friend so his history may be a bit more stable and it could just take some time.

Eels many times come in with internal parasites and can live for a couple/few months eating fine and doing well before the parasite load take over, and stress of a move can bring that on. If your friend had him longer than that, then that is likely not a concern.

Throwing a couple mollies in there wouldn't hurt, and would spur a feeding response. If it doesn't, then it is time for concern,.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it shouldn't, but it is possible. Which was why I tried avoiding this. But I have no other options but to do so. My fish aren't dainty anyways, so I doubt he will be able to eat them.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I do if feeder fish fails? I kinda doubt at this point, but I still have hope. Mollies would be too small for this fella.

Let me know his history a bit more, Is he the fish that came from your friend?, Was he eating before and how long? They can go a couple of months without eating, but I've rarely seen a healthy eel turn down a live feeding. Visit the eel care post and you'll see that these hunger strikes are not uncommon. Is it also possible he is being intimidated by one of your other fish, that happens and can add to the time it takes him to settle in.

Eels and other such predatory fish that need live food to acclimate, get fed diseased fish along the way, so I always treat for internal parasites. If it's a Japanese variety there still may be some disreputable methods of capturing them, they (used to and maybe still do) catch them with a hook. Something the eel swallows the hook and get internal damage. Both of these things can take a couple/few months to take hold. It's never a bad idea to treat for internal parasites, which is always better when they are eating, but can be achieved by treating the water column.

I prefer mollies over any other live feeder fish but if you feel they are too small. throw a live goldfish in. It's not like that is his diet, it's just to get a feeding response. It may take until lights out for him to come out to hunt.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it shouldn't, but it is possible. Which was why I tried avoiding this. But I have no other options but to do so. My fish aren't dainty anyways, so I doubt he will be able to eat them.
I have the same issue with my snowflake eel, she eats one day and disappear for few days, I offer her silverside but refuse to eat, no matter what I try he small it but not eat as the beginning, but i won't worry to much as I know that any changes can trigger this behavior and I can not expect her to eat every day. Now somebody mention parasites, how u treat them?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back