View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I’ve always known to be a hellfire torch;
IMG_6524.jpeg

And here’s what I’ve always known to be a Dragon Soul;
IMG_6525.jpeg

Different countries seem to use different morphs as the different named pieces. I have a hellfire which has green tips and also has green striping ontop of the gold striping. IME the dragon soul doesn’t have the green striping down one side of the tentacle and is simply gold and brown.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6524.jpeg

IMG_6525.jpeg

Different countries seem to use different morphs as the different named pieces. I have a hellfire which has green tips and also has green striping ontop of the gold striping. IME the dragon soul doesn’t have the green striping down one side of the tentacle and is simply gold and brown.
On that basis my "24k" could be a dragon soul.or neither.who knows.its a torch is all I really know

Attachments

• PXL_20230731_091202968.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230731_091202968.MP.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 54

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6524.jpeg

IMG_6525.jpeg

first dragon soul I bought locally looks more like the hellfire you are showing.

On that basis my "24k" could be a dragon soul.or neither.who knows.its a torch is all I really know
I thought the same, more 24k, just depends on the person looking lol

DetroitReefClub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an importer I can tell you the difference is dragon soul are more yellow and green on the tentacles, and have teal, whiteish, soft green type tips, I’ve seen a few varieties.
Hellfire is gold tentacles with bright green tips
That being said - this is used as a grading mechanism, but there are tons of slightly different varieties between the colonies we receive under each “grading” category, ranging from the best to kind of “eh”
Usually the most “eh” just get graded as “semi gold” which many on the us market repackages as “La lakers”.
Above dragon soul and hellfire in Indonesia are 24k (solid yellow with purple tips)
& of course banana torches.

Legendary Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an importer I can tell you the difference is dragon soul are more yellow and green on the tentacles, and have teal, whiteish, soft green type tips, I’ve seen a few varieties.
Hellfire is gold tentacles with bright green tips
That being said - this is used as a grading mechanism, but there are tons of slightly different varieties between the colonies we receive under each “grading” category, ranging from the best to kind of “eh”
Usually the most “eh” just get graded as “semi gold” which many on the us market repackages as “La lakers”.
Above dragon soul and hellfire in Indonesia are 24k (solid yellow with purple tips)
& of course banana torches.
I agree with this identification as well.

Names are not set in stone since they're used to help identify a certain coral look. They're not definitive products you can buy on the shelf or something someone makes, so honestly anyone can use them.

Whether they're ID'd correctly really depends on how knowledgeable the vendor/ hobbyist is and names can change if the general population of the hobby decides to refer a certain coral to a certain name. This applies a lot to Zoanthids as well. So 100% buy based on the photo, not the name as names don't have much value other than to know what someone is referring to (lineage does though) :)

As stated above, Dragon Souls are gold torches that have very obvious green/ teal in their tentacles. The tentacles should be very thing and asian noodle like (not thick like spaghetti).
1690831292420.png

1690831544203.png

1690831567489.png

Hellfires have been generally accepted to be torches that are more golden in their tentacles with veeeeeery little green. Their tentacles are also very long and thin like the Dragon Souls. I personally believe these would be close to them:
1690831395724.png

1690831449575.png

1690831431684.png

So if you're looking for the more green one, Dragon Soul. The Dragon Soul looking-one but with mostly yellow/ gold color, Hellfire!

Orito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6524.jpeg

IMG_6525.jpeg

here in Brazil it's exactly the opposite
My dragon soul is supposed to be the top one and hellfire the bottom left

Attachments

• 20230729_191445.jpg
    20230729_191445.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 57

DetroitReefClub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here in Brazil it's exactly the opposite
My dragon soul is supposed to be the top one and hellfire the bottom left
I would say your top image is a dragon soul here in the US also - your hellfire just isn't tremendously gold in the tentacles, I would call that like, a B Grade Hellfire. We also find that acclimating a lower grade (less gold) hellfire to higher par can increase the prominence of the gold in a less "filled in" torch, but its not a sure thing, some just don't get as gold!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back