OP
Torch Town Reefer

Torch Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Back and forth: Seoul, South Korea to Florida
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Marketing. Dragon soul torch became too common so they have to come up with a new name for the market.
I was kind of figuring this, too. LOL!
I'm honestly not seeing any significant color differences? Unless I'm just blind, or don't have the right torches?

Is there really a noticeable difference, though?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a little research and after owning nearly every torch and variant there is under the sun, I'm wondering...

What are the main differences that separate a Dragon Soul Torch, and a Hellfire Torch?
The main difference is the tip colouring, on the Dragon Soul the tips are blue whilst a Hellfire has green tips.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a little research and after owning nearly every torch and variant there is under the sun, I'm wondering...

What are the main differences that separate a Dragon Soul Torch, and a Hellfire Torch?
In some cases it's just the name.or a good filter.the torch hype is lost on me.or maybe I'm just a grumpy old man

OP
OP
Torch Town Reefer

Torch Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The main difference is the tip colouring, on the Dragon Soul the tips are blue whilst a Hellfire has green tips.
ahhhh— okay, okay.
that makes sense.
thanks for that input!
is that pretty solid, tried-and-true info?

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhhh— okay, okay.
that makes sense.
thanks for that input!
is that pretty solid, tried-and-true info?
My wife just bought a Dragon Soul. She's convinced that he pulled a Hellfire from the tank.

I've stared at the photos on their site and compared them to the torch that she bought from them... And I can't tell a difference between what she's got, their Dragon photo, and their Hellfire photo.

OP
OP
Torch Town Reefer

Torch Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In some cases it's just the name.or a good filter.the torch hype is lost on me.or maybe I'm just a grumpy old man
yeahhhhh, im starting to notice the same thing; different vendors calling it different names, or just throwing a different tinted filter on it and calling it something else. lol!

i think im riding out the very tail end of my own torch hype, currently... and realizing that there are so many variants of a single torch, solely based on a name that someone decides to call it, is becoming that bitter aftertaste in my mouth that im just DONE with. lol.

OP
OP
Torch Town Reefer

Torch Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My wife just bought a Dragon Soul. She's convinced that he pulled a Hellfire from the tank.

I've stared at the photos on their site and compared them to the torch that she bought from them... And I can't tell a difference between what she's got, their Dragon photo, and their Hellfire photo.

hahahaha! maybe if you squint your eyes reeeaaallllyyyy hard, different colors might come out? haha! just kidding.

yeah, im really starting to see, there honestly may be no difference between the two, aside from (maybe) what someone pointed out about the tip colors.

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahahaha! maybe if you squint your eyes reeeaaallllyyyy hard, different colors might come out? haha! just kidding.

yeah, im really starting to see, there honestly may be no difference between the two, aside from (maybe) what someone pointed out about the tip colors.
And even so - don't buy on name, buy on a color or shape that appeals to you. I just bought a bunch of zoanthid to start a garden. They were all labeled and numbered with stupid names... I haven't got a clue what any of them are. $5/polyp on sale 30% off? Neat, give me a bunch of these these these and those.

OP
OP
Torch Town Reefer

Torch Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
And even so - don't buy on name, buy on a color or shape that appeals to you. I just bought a bunch of zoanthid to start a garden. They were all labeled and numbered with stupid names... I haven't got a clue what any of them are. $5/polyp on sale 30% off? Neat, give me a bunch of these these these and those.
you're absolutely right, actually.
that's one of the best pieces of advice that i've ever heard in this hobby.

"don't buy coral for the names— buy what YOU like and what appeals to YOU, regardless of popularity or hype."

it sounds easy enough to do, but i don't know how many times, ive fallen into the trap of buying something that wasnt all that nice or appealing, just because of its popularity, "prestige", or name.

nice score on those zoas, though! lol. that's awesome! zoas morph SO much, you might be able to create and name your own zoa, and it become stupidly popular! lol.

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're absolutely right, actually.
that's one of the best pieces of advice that i've ever heard in this hobby.

"don't buy coral for the names— buy what YOU like and what appeals to YOU, regardless of popularity or hype."

it sounds easy enough to do, but i don't know how many times, ive fallen into the trap of buying something that wasnt all that nice or appealing, just because of its popularity, "prestige", or name.

nice score on those zoas, though! lol. that's awesome! zoas morph SO much, you might be able to create and name your own zoa, and it become stupidly popular! lol.
Honestly, I'm scrolling through the Marketplace forum right now looking at all the frags for sale just flabbergasted. The names and the prices... What in the heck...

I take my kids to the LFS with me, I let them scroll the fish and coral sites to pick things out. Last thing I need is to explain to my 10 year old daughter why the corals are named things like:
"Barney's Boner"
"Butt Muncher"
"butt Monkey"

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Edit - R2R made the second two names a bit more family friendly lol

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean there are a lot of color variants and it is hard to tell. I am honestly not sure which of these is a dragon soul. the top right i would say is hellfire?/dragon soul. my garden
DSC09059 (1).jpg

My suggestion is is to find somewhere locally you can buy it and just pick what you think looks good.

OP
OP
Torch Town Reefer

Torch Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Honestly, I'm scrolling through the Marketplace forum right now looking at all the frags for sale just flabbergasted. The names and the prices... What in the heck...

I take my kids to the LFS with me, I let them scroll the fish and coral sites to pick things out. Last thing I need is to explain to my 10 year old daughter why the corals are named things like:
"Barney's Boner"
"Butt Muncher"
"butt Monkey"

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Edit - R2R made the second two names a bit more family friendly lol
omg. hahahaha! lol!
is it sad that i actually KNEW the (correct) names of those corals right when i read them?! and even before r2r censored you?!

i couldn't agree more, though! it's all about the hype, popularity, and reputation of the vendors attached to the names. hahaha! barney's boner, though, had me wheezing and coughing. lol!

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg. hahahaha! lol!
is it sad that i actually KNEW the (correct) names of those corals right when i read them?! and even before r2r censored you?!

i couldn't agree more, though! it's all about the hype, popularity, and reputation of the vendors attached to the names. hahaha! barney's boner, though, had me wheezing and coughing. lol!
Final thought for the night - these 3 pictures are the reason I don't buy on names... The names don't mean anything anymore.
IMG_3834.png
IMG_3835.jpeg
IMG_3836.png

OP
OP
Torch Town Reefer

Torch Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Final thought for the night - these 3 pictures are the reason I don't buy on names... The names don't mean anything anymore.
IMG_3834.png
IMG_3835.jpeg
IMG_3836.png
that very last pic, with the screen shot of the google search is IT... that is the representative of everything you're saying... lol! i totally get it!

every single torch on that screenshot is literally different. lol! so crazy!

OP
OP
Torch Town Reefer

Torch Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I mean there are a lot of color variants and it is hard to tell. I am honestly not sure which of these is a dragon soul. the top right i would say is hellfire?/dragon soul. my garden
DSC09059 (1).jpg

My suggestion is is to find somewhere locally you can buy it and just pick what you think looks good.
wow! that's so stunningly beautiful! im quite jealous of your garden! lol. im just starting to build my own, but was just curious as to what is what out there, and if the hype of names is really worth... well... all the hype!

thank you tremendously for your input, and thank you, again for the gorgeous pic of your torch garden!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! that's so stunningly beautiful! im quite jealous of your garden! lol. im just starting to build my own, but was just curious as to what is what out there, and if the hype of names is really worth... well... all the hype!

thank you tremendously for your input, and thank you, again for the gorgeous pic of your torch garden!
Definitely helps to see things in person and to see torches next to each other. Seeing singular online torches it's hard to know what they would look like your tank.

Also keep in mind top down looks a lot better than from the side.

OP
OP
Torch Town Reefer

Torch Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Definitely helps to see things in person and to see torches next to each other. Seeing singular online torches it's hard to know what they would look like your tank.

Also keep in mind top down looks a lot better than from the side.
you're absolutely right, and i have noticed that almost every single vendor takes pictures from top-down. lol.

it makes it difficult to see the actual size of the torch, or how healthy/thick the fleshband is, etc. it's a confusing ordeal trying to pick and choose the right torch for you tank. lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back