Dragonet/mandarin lovers thread!

How many dragonets/mandarins do you keep?

Votes: 42 35.3%

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • 3+

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I don’t keep any but I want to

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I don’t want to keep any

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My three Dragonets, and Mandarin Dragon pair a male Sycorax Dragon all eat pellets in addition to hunting pods all day. Initially they only pods but after a few months, seeing all the other fish eating pellets, they start to eat pellets too. All three are in my 40 gal QT tank and are very fat. The Mandarin Dragon pair spawn all the time.
IMG_9973.jpeg
IMG_9974.jpeg

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My three Dragonets, and Mandarin Dragon pair a male Sycorax Dragon all eat pellets in addition to hunting pods all day. Initially they only pods but after a few months, seeing all the other fish eating pellets, they start to eat pellets too. All three are in my 40 gal QT tank and are very fat. The Mandarin Dragon pair spawn all the time.
IMG_9973.jpeg
IMG_9974.jpeg
The green mandarins and red scooter don’t fight? I’ve heard they could, which is why I haven’t gotten a scooter. I have a male green mandarin in one tank and a male spotted mandarin in another tank.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The dragonet I love is by far the Spotted (S. picturatus). This girl eats pods almost all day but I believe she does eat frozen. She’s currently in a 3’x16”x1’ tank (custom made). And I do dose pods weekly.
I’ve also had a Ruby Red in the past but she jumped 3 years into the tank (I unfortunately left the lid barely off over night). That girl ate everything from pods to pellets/flake.
I personally find there regular’s to be boring because you see them so often.
IMG_5107.jpeg
Yeah, the spotted ones are less common for sure. I have a male green mandarin in one tank and a male spotted in another tank. :)

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
They don’t fight. IMO as long as they have plenty to eat they are fine. They may fight when they have to compete for food.
I tried my male green mandarin and male spotted mandarin together. Initially, they ignored each other. Then within a couple hours, the green was chasing the spotted, so the spotted was removed. They have plenty of food. How long have they been together?

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yep just broadcast feeding. I don’t know if they eat anything I put in the tank.
So I wouldn’t recommend broadcast feeding live (or are you feeding frozen/non-alive?) baby brine shrimp. They’ll just swim to the top of the tank toward the light. Mandarins don’t spend any time at the top of the tank or in open water. They only really spend time on surfaces. I’d recommend using Paul B’s method if you want to feed live baby brine shrimp. He designed a baby brine shrimp feeder for mandarins. I use his feeder design in my tank to feed my mandarins, and they love it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried my male green mandarin and male spotted mandarin together. Initially, they ignored each other. Then within a couple hours, the green was chasing the spotted, so the spotted was removed. They have plenty of food. How long have they been together?
Mine have been together for several months. Grow a lot.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wouldn’t recommend broadcast feeding live (or are you feeding frozen/non-alive?) baby brine shrimp. They’ll just swim to the top of the tank toward the light. Mandarins don’t spend any time at the top of the tank or in open water. They only really spend time on surfaces. I’d recommend using Paul B’s method if you want to feed live baby brine shrimp. He designed a baby brine shrimp feeder for mandarins. I use his feeder design in my tank to feed my mandarins, and they love it.
I made a brine shrimp feeder but it was more trouble than it was worth. There’s too much flow in my tank for them to collect at the surface. I just have the mandarin pair and a Banggai pair in this tank so they have plenty of chance to eat if they want to.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Mine have been together for several months. Grow a lot.
Maybe I’ll try a red scooter blenny to see if it gets along with my green mandarin. I’ve wanted one. Fortunately, they’re not terribly expensive. I’ll see if my LFS would take it back if it fights with my mandarin.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I made a brine shrimp feeder but it was more trouble than it was worth. There’s too much flow in my tank for them to collect at the surface. I just have the mandarin pair and a Banggai pair in this tank so they have plenty of chance to eat if they want to.
Yeah, the feeders are a bit more work, but it guarantees my mandarin gets high nutrition food everyday. And my 3 gobies eat from it too. I don’t have pods yet, so it’s a necessity for me, even though he also eats frozen brine. The frozen brine has no nutrition, so I add selcon and garlic to it, but it still lacks protein. Just want to make sure he gets enough protein.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the feeders are a bit more work, but it guarantees my mandarin gets high nutrition food everyday. And my 3 gobies eat from it too. I don’t have pods yet, so it’s a necessity for me, even though he also eats frozen brine. The frozen brine has no nutrition, so I add selcon and garlic to it, but it still lacks protein. Just want to make sure he gets enough protein.
My tank is packed with rock to promote growth and space for copepods. The tank was covered with pods after a few months, like completely covered. I put the pair of mandarins in and about 3 weeks after about all the pods were/are gone. There’s still pods in the tank but I don’t see them hardly at all so I do stress out a bit about them getting enough food to eat. But it’s been like 6 months now and they are breeding so I just keep broadcasting food whether they eat it or not to make myself feel better.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Do you have pods? How long have you had the mandarins? Do you turn off the flow in your tank when you feed them frozen? If not, there’s almost zero chance they’re going to eat it. They’re very slow, so they can’t catch frozen food if it’s blowing around the tank. I turn off all my flow when I feed to allow the mandarins to catch some as it settles to the bottom. They’ll also slowly swim up to it, but there’s zero chance they’d catch it if I didn’t turn off the flow to feed.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pods? How long have you had the mandarins? Do you turn off the flow in your tank when you feed them frozen? If not, there’s almost zero chance they’re going to eat it. They’re very slow, so they can’t catch frozen food if it’s blowing around the tank. I turn off all my flow when I feed to allow the mandarins to catch some as it settles to the bottom. They’ll also slowly swim up to it, but there’s zero chance they’d catch it if I didn’t turn off the flow to feed.
There’s pods in the tank since the fish haven’t died yet. I don’t put any extras in. It’s been 142 days now that I’ve had them. They’ve been breeding for 3 months at least so they are eating something.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My tank is packed with rock to promote growth and space for copepods. The tank was covered with pods after a few months, like completely covered. I put the pair of mandarins in and about 3 weeks after about all the pods were/are gone. There’s still pods in the tank but I don’t see them hardly at all so I do stress out a bit about them getting enough food to eat. But it’s been like 6 months now and they are breeding so I just keep broadcasting food whether they eat it or not to make myself feel better.
Maybe turn off the flow when you broadcast feed. That will help with them being able to catch the frozen food. But if it’s been 6 months, it’s probably fine.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah, they’ll wipe out the pod population really quickly. That’s why I didn’t want to have to depend on pods as their food source. They’re so expensive.

Psychedelic Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green mandarins and red scooter don’t fight? I’ve heard they could, which is why I haven’t gotten a scooter. I have a male green mandarin in one tank and a male spotted mandarin in another tank.
I was told that similar body style mandarins might fight. That's why I don't keep greens and spotted together. My greens and red scooters are doing great together. Four of each in a 180 gallon tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick picture of my pair this AM. The male is actually a reddish Mandarin Dragonet while the female is a true green Mandarin Dragonet. Both are fat and healthy. They just got up so there are some mucus on them still.
IMG_0002.jpeg
IMG_0003.jpeg

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I was told that similar body style mandarins might fight. That's why I don't keep greens and spotted together. My greens and red scooters are doing great together. Four of each in a 180 gallon tank.
Cool, the scooters and mandarins look like they have similar body styles to me, but it’s great that yours get along. Maybe I’ll try it.

Allaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any specific frozen food options for the Mandarins? I've kept mine for a few years, but I am tired of making the bbs every day. When I first had them I was able to find frozen pods that sank, and they ate it fine, but now all the frozen pods float, so it is just wasted.

Does anyone have a frozen food option/brand that I can train them to? I need something that sinks.

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two, a female from Biota and a male (wild caught from the Philippines). They happily live in my 210 gal tank. Saw them once doing the mating dance but wasn’t able to record it. They both eat pellets (which I am happy). They are not the only pod hunters in my tank since I have few wrasses that pick the rock constantly.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back