Dragonet/mandarin lovers thread!

How many dragonets/mandarins do you keep?

Votes: 42 35.3%

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • 3+

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I don’t keep any but I want to

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I don’t want to keep any

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo of the tank (and dimensions)?

I have a tank that’s similar to a 20g Long I believe and my mandarin has stayed fat. She’s also learnt that frozen foods are good to eat.
IMG_6226.jpeg

IMG_6229.jpeg

If you were to go a mandarin I’d personally go for a Spotted (Synchiropus picturatus) which is what I’ve got, the reason for this is because they are the easiest IME.
This is my tank. It’s a UNS 60A, it’s definitely closer to the length of a 20 high rather than long. What are you feeding yours? It looks gorgeous

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 46

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank. It’s a UNS 60A, it’s definitely closer to the length of a 20 high rather than long. What are you feeding yours? It looks gorgeous
Well, at first I only believed mine was eating pods so I just loaded the tank with maybe 3-600 pods every week (about 2,400 a month). I still do this however she’s also feeding on mysis and brine among other frozen goods that I feed.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconding @i cant think, I bought a wild target mandarin from my LFS. Took him about a week to start eating frozen food. If I turn down the flow and let the food settle down, he has a much better chance of eating. I feed variety of foods mysis, rods, LRS, etc. He is so chubby now
DSC08376 (1).jpg

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconding @i cant think, I bought a wild target mandarin from my LFS. Took him about a week to start eating frozen food. If I turn down the flow and let the food settle down, he has a much better chance of eating. I feed variety of foods mysis, rods, LRS, etc. He is so chubby now
DSC08376 (1).jpg
He looks great! How often are you feeding?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks great! How often are you feeding?
I feed very often (3-4 times), but just once a day for frozen. The other times are usually Reef Nutrition Roe or TDO pellets. I haven't seen him eating any roe or pellets, so he primarily picks at the big pieces when I feed frozen. I have a huge amount of pods as well, so he is constantly eating

JohnA26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of spawning mandarins, will a “mixed” pair, 1 spotted and 1 green/blue mandarin spawn, do the dance and so forth?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 gallon.
What are the dimensions?

I’m assuming 4’ long but I could be wrong. If it is 4’ then they should be alright. Just get a male of one species and a female of the other species to make sure there is no fighting between two of the same sex even if they are of different species.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 of them and have been keeping them since they started to be imported. I find them the easiest, least care of any fish and they seem to live about 10 years. I have not been able to keep any longer than that. They spawn constantly and in the proper tank require no feeding or anything else. I did lose a few from jumping out even though they don't seem to be very aronitically designed. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

JohnA26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions?

I’m assuming 4’ long but I could be wrong. If it is 4’ then they should be alright. Just get a male of one species and a female of the other species to make sure there is no fighting between two of the same sex even if they are of different species.
Ok, but do you think they will “hang out/spawn dance” or just ignore each other?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, but do you think they will “hang out/spawn dance” or just ignore each other?
They’ll probably leave eachother alone. If they were spawning were likely to have seen hybrids in the wild by now. I don’t think the picturatus and splendidus are close enough to eachother to spawn together.

I guess species like the occidentalis could breed and hybridise with a very similar looking species (for example the picturatus).
So if you had say a red and blue mandarin - these are the same species currently however there is enough of a difference to say that one could be a different species - they‘re likely to spawn with eachother.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll probably leave eachother alone. If they were spawning were likely to have seen hybrids in the wild by now. I don’t think the picturatus and splendidus are close enough to eachother to spawn together.

I guess species like the occidentalis could breed and hybridise with a very similar looking species (for example the picturatus).
So if you had say a red and blue mandarin - these are the same species currently however there is enough of a difference to say that one could be a different species - they‘re likely to spawn with eachother.
The Red and Blue Mandarin do pair up and spawn regularly. There are clearly Blue Mandarin and clearly Red Mandarin but there are Mandarins that have colors in the between of the two end of the spectrum so I am not certain that they can or should be separate species.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME and observation, as long as there are enough food, they will leave each other alone. When there is a shortage of food, that is when quarrel start. This seem to be true even with male blue mandarin of same species.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of spawning mandarins, will a “mixed” pair, 1 spotted and 1 green/blue mandarin spawn, do the dance and so forth?
I had the same question, I have a big spotted female and wanted to pair him up with a male blue.

This makes sense, maybe i should just get another spotted male

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red and Blue Mandarin do pair up and spawn regularly. There are clearly Blue Mandarin and clearly Red Mandarin but there are Mandarins that have colors in the between of the two end of the spectrum so I am not certain that they can or should be separate species.
Honestly, I’ve only personally seen 2 big colour differences of the splendidus which are the red and the blues. I’m not surprised that these pair up as they are closely related (same species or not) and are very close in colour pattern.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 95 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back