Drain height?

freshwaterguy0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of four siphon drains. There will also be four backup drains. Is this the appropriate height for the siphons?

pic.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of four siphon drains. There will also be four backup drains. Is this the appropriate height for the siphons?

pic.jpg
I think you want them quite low in the overflow box to ensure the siphons don't break if water levels drops a bit. emergencies you want up high like that

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pic.jpg
1. A full siphon drain needs to be lower than the emergency drain - far enough below the water surface (when running) that it does not suck air.
2. Dursos are unnecessary on a full siphon (and in my book, unnecessary altogether.)

OP
OP
F

freshwaterguy0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you want them quite low in the overflow box to ensure the siphons don't break if water levels drops a bit. emergencies you want up high like that
The bottom of the drain will not be submerged in the sump - and therefore, I should not need break holes. So, I could put the main drains deeper in the overflow box. However, (if the siphon breaks temporarily) won't the siphon just reengage when the water level rises?

Does putting it deeper have drawbacks (noise, etc)?

OP
OP
F

freshwaterguy0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. A full siphon drain needs to be lower than the emergency drain - far enough below the water surface (when running) that it does not suck air.
2. Dursos are unnecessary on a full siphon (and in my book, unnecessary altogether.)
How deep below water level is ideal for the main drains? I've seen people put them pretty close to surface, especially when they need break holes. I don't need break holes, so I could go deeper.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
F

freshwaterguy0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your view is that having this durso style head offers no advantage whatsoever?

As I stated, 4 siphons and 4 emergencies, all terminating above the water level in the sump.
Where they terminate is irrelevant, aside from the noise factor. And yes, a durso is worthless in my opinion.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend NOT gluing the pipes inside the overflow box so that you can easily remove and adjust the height if needed. The full siphon in my tank is about 3 inches shorter than the emergency drain, but I did have to fiddle with it in the beginning. It can't be "too low", aside from the amount of water that drains into the sump when the return pump is off... the lower the pipe, the more water, but considering the size of your tank, it's such a small percentage it shouldn't make a difference.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your emergency drains should not be smaller than your main drains. You may want to switch them so the 3/4" are the drains and the 1" are emergency. Though with a tank the size of yours 3/4" piping seems too small.

OP
OP
F

freshwaterguy0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your emergency drains should not be smaller than your main drains. You may want to switch them so the 3/4" are the drains and the 1" are emergency. Though with a tank the size of yours 3/4" piping seems too small.
In what scenario could enough Main Drains be clogged such that 4 emergencies are insufficient to compensate?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back