Drilled Tank Question

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if it isn't the greatest picture but when I was drilling the last hole I got a little chip. It is very smooth but wanted to know if there is anything additional I need to do to prep the area before putting on the bulkhead.

Thanks in advance.
6e50ed6c38cdf6588b02351a5845dc6c.jpg

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the chip on the inside of the tank or outside? If inside make sure the rubber seal covers it. If it does then nothing to worry about. Either way I don't see it leaking if the seal is good.

OP
OP
C

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inside. And thanks. At worst I thought a small amount of silicone to make it "flatter". Silicone work not so great so I don't know how flat flatter would be.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use silicone on it at all. Just put the bulkhead on there and make sure the seal covers the chip. If that's the case you have nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
C

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry forgot one thing. Bulkhead is on order so I don't know how well it covers, but the overflow gasket covers it fully when centered but leaves a very small piece uncovered when flush with the opposite side of the hole. I could always error towards the damaged side with the gasket to more than cover the imperfection

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost always get little chips. Outside doesn't really matter unless it's huge. Inside, just makes sure it's inside the little ridges on the gasket.

OP
OP
C

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered the wrong size bulkhead. I thought I had a 65mm drill bit but it was 63mm. So I need to get the 1 1/4 not 1 1/2 bulk head.

Can I use a 2" gasket with a 1 1/4" gasket over it to cover if the smaller gasket doesn't fit?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered the wrong size bulkhead. I thought I had a 65mm drill bit but it was 63mm. So I need to get the 1 1/4 not 1 1/2 bulk head.

Can I use a 2" gasket with a 1 1/4" gasket over it to cover if the smaller gasket doesn't fit?

Hard to say, doesnt hurt to try. You can also cut the gasket with a precision knife to fit. And if your worried, silicone it in, but wait at least 48 hours for it to dry. Use aquarium silicone only or ge scs 1200, or ge type 1 silicone for window and door. Dont get any with mold inhibitors it will kill your tank. Also make sure you dont get ge 2, as it releases ammonia durring cure. Ge 1 releases acetic acid durring cure which isnt toxic.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double gasket or silicone both are bad idea and time bomb waiting to explode.
Just do it right and get the right bulkhead for the size or drill a bigger hole to fit a bigger bulkhead. Do it right and sleep well at night. Just my 2 cents.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do it right and get the right bulkhead for the size or drill a bigger hole to fit a bigger bulkhead. Do it right and sleep well at night. Just my 2 cents.
Yep i agree. Do it right or not at all. But im guilty of cutting corners sometimes

OP
OP
C

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny I was wondering if I could drill a larger hole. Until I get the new bulkhead though I won't know how well it covers. If it is the same size as my overflow, considering they are the same size holes hopefully it will.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny I was wondering if I could drill a larger hole. Until I get the new bulkhead though I won't know how well it covers. If it is the same size as my overflow, considering they are the same size holes hopefully it will.

Youll likely crack it if its glass

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always get a square piece of glass 6" ×6" or bigger and drill the right size hole through it. Key is steady slow pressure no hurry or fast drill, go really really slow and let the drill do its job.
You can always silicone the glass patch over the hole but then I am not sure the width may become a problem.

OP
OP
C

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course this was the third hole. It took almost an hour to drill I must have just put too much pressure at the end.

Just so I know, this chip is a leak hazard and not a exploding tank hazard correct?

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes leak hazard if gasket doent cover it all the way but no explosion.

OP
OP
C

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My over active brain kept processing the time bomb exploding reference way to literally so I needed that piece of mind.

I was reading more at lunch and if it doesn't cover properly it appears installing the flange on the dry side is an option as well. It is pretty smooth there so I may be in luck with no more drilling.

Thank you for the assistance I will keep you updated

islandbreeze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough one man, try 5200 if the seal fails, also, sand your rubber gasket where the mold injection points are. Also use flex tube for your drains coupled to rigid if at all. That will limit flex on box if you are using one. Alcohol prep of course. Silicone no good. It will peel. You can lightly sand glass with tape protecting outer edge. 5200 will stick to glass if light sand. It is not permanent on glass if not sanded. Just ideas I've used, if chip is on outside that may work. Inside, use the other gents suggestion on extra piece of glass reinforcement. Smart idea.

OP
OP
C

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news I got the bulkhead today and the gasket covers. Unfortunately I can't water test yet since I'm still in the process of planning the stand

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back