Dry rock in a trash can

  • Thread starter Thread starter BobaF99
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BobaF99

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 18, 2017
Messages
32
Reaction score
33
Location
Chapel Hill, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have convinced the boss to let me set up a tank. Going to buy a tank soon. In the meantime, about two weeks ago I put some dry rock into a 55gal brute to start cycling. Using Dr Tim's fish less method. Got the ammonia to 2ppm, temp 80 f, salinity 25.7ppt, pH 8.2, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrates. Nothing has changed in 2 weeks. I have changed nothing. I read that a slightly higher temp and lower salinity helps the bacteria reproduce. Do I just need to wait or is my salinity too low? Mixed the salt with ro/di at 0 tds.
 
That salinity is very low, you should get it up to around 35 ppm. Did you add a source of bacteria to start? If you didn’t, it can take a very long time for the bacteria to establish and grow. Do you have flow in the container?
 
Proper salinity, heat and circulation are all that's required. Rock will cycle itself in about a month.
 
So I have convinced the boss to let me set up a tank. Going to buy a tank soon. In the meantime, about two weeks ago I put some dry rock into a 55gal brute to start cycling. Using Dr Tim's fish less method. Got the ammonia to 2ppm, temp 80 f, salinity 25.7ppt, pH 8.2, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrates. Nothing has changed in 2 weeks. I have changed nothing. I read that a slightly higher temp and lower salinity helps the bacteria reproduce. Do I just need to wait or is my salinity too low? Mixed the salt with ro/di at 0 tds.
salinity is a little low but shouldnt hinder a cycle. 35ppt is typical reef salinity. Dr tims takes a while. You added the bacteria right?
 
That salinity is very low, you should get it up to around 35 ppm. Did you add a source of bacteria to start? If you didn’t, it can take a very long time for the bacteria to establish and grow. Do you have flow in the container?
Yes to both. Used Dr Tim's one and only
 
salinity is a little low but shouldnt hinder a cycle. 35ppt is typical reef salinity. Dr tims takes a while. You added the bacteria right?
Yes. I'm trying to find the post that talked about lower salinity for the cycle then going up to typical reef levels
 
Man all these people respond without ever researching dr Tim’s. You are correct with the lower salinity and temp.
Question - ammonia hasn’t gone down at all? Maybe a bad batch of bacteria. Like all the bacteria was killed by heat from shipping or something.
I did the same thing you did according to dr Tim’s. Tank cycled in about 9 days
 
Man all these people respond without ever researching dr Tim’s. You are correct with the lower salinity and temp.
Question - ammonia hasn’t gone down at all? Maybe a bad batch of bacteria. Like all the bacteria was killed by heat from shipping or something.
I did the same thing you did according to dr Tim’s. Tank cycled in about 9 days
Ammonia has not moved. I could try another bottle and see.
 
I'm in the same boat. The brutte is in the garage, so it might be too hot. My ammonia has been stuck at the max of 2.5 per Hana test. Started with Fritz, but my salinity was too low. Got the salinity to 35 and added Dr Tims. Still at max. Guess I'll just keep it going. Thought about starting over with new water. I have over a month before I can put my new tank together, so I have time to wait.
 
Thought I read the post on here and it referenced the videos.
@taricha I think and someone else has done extensive testing using various bottled bacteria's. Dr Tims was one of the slowest to act and finish if I remember correctly. I think fritz was one of the fastest tested. I used mb xlm and was completely cycled in about 11 days. I noticed that adding a bit of reefroids every couple days 1/8-1/4 tsp in 120g of water would kick it in gear. I waited about 5 days at 2ppm and was reading here that the bacteria need a carbon source some fish food or whatever I had a freebie of roids laying around and decided to use it on day 5. Day 7 ammonia was almost 0 and nitrites were about 5 after 2 days I added some more roids next day trites were 2ish. Repeated 2 days later and after another 2 days trites were gone. Redosed to 2ppm ammonia and was gone 24-36hrs later. Havent looked back and its going well 5 months later.
 
A watched Brute never cycles?

I would encourage the cycler's to add a tiny chip of live rock or live sand from a running reef to expand the inoculation of life beyond what comes from the bottled products.

Wake Up Cooking GIF by Hell's Kitchen
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :cool:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new