Dry rock

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought caribsea cured dry rock. It 10 pounds. Can I throw it all in at once? Since it’s cured. I already have about 17 ish pounds in the tank. Not 100% sure. Thank you.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Explain cured... was it used before or new from the store?

I don't believe dry rock is referred to as cured, but yes you can just add it all at once if it is new dry rock.

Live rock that has been shipped is really the only rock you need to worry about soaking before adding to an existing tank with fish in it since there will be some organic die off.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Explain cured... was it used before or new from the store?

I don't believe dry rock is referred to as cured, but yes you can just add it all at once if it is new dry rock.

Live rock that has been shipped is really the only rock you need to worry about soaking before adding to an existing tank with fish in it since there will be some organic die off.
It’s brand new.

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought caribsea cured dry rock. It 10 pounds. Can I throw it all in at once? Since it’s cured. I already have about 17 ish pounds in the tank. Not 100% sure. Thank you.
I think it's important to understand the term properly. Cured means that it was mined rock (or previously live rock), that sat in a tub of saltwater with a heater and a powerhead for months, allowing decaying organic material to be released from the rock. This doesn't mean the rock is NOT cured, just because you received it dry. So I think everyone here should be sure that's what you mean, when you're asking for advice on cured rock.

All that said, I'm not aware of a "cured rock" product from Caribsea. I'm only aware of their Liferock product and then their standard dry rock. The Liferock is safe to put straight into the tank. Their dry rock I would thoroughly rinse in RO water, to make sure any dust doesn't get into the tank and make it cloudy.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's important to understand the term properly. Cured means that it was mined rock (or previously live rock), that sat in a tub of saltwater with a heater and a powerhead for months, allowing decaying organic material to be released from the rock. This doesn't mean the rock is NOT cured, just because you received it dry. So I think everyone here should be sure that's what you mean, when you're asking for advice on cured rock.

All that said, I'm not aware of a "cured rock" product from Caribsea. I'm only aware of their Liferock product and then their standard dry rock. The Liferock is safe to put straight into the tank. Their dry rock I would thoroughly rinse in RO water, to make sure any dust doesn't get into the tank and make it cloudy.
Omg, this is what I was asking mainly/ wondering!!! Thank you!!! This is what I bought.
13F66482-1A74-4599-9FC0-23AE358F97F3.png

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg, this is what I was asking mainly/ wondering!!! Thank you!!! This is what I bought.
13F66482-1A74-4599-9FC0-23AE358F97F3.png
Yep. Just rinse it really well in RO water first. However, I do second what someone else said, about breaking it apart and using super glue gel, insta-set, and epoxy to make your own aquascape.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Just rinse it really well in RO water first. However, I do second what someone else said, about breaking it apart and using super glue gel, insta-set, and epoxy to make your own aquascape.
Already did, I just didn’t know if it was safe to add all at once or not. Cuz I do only got about 17 ish pounds in the tank.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an arch. I’ll post it here when I put in it. 2 of the pieces are not cured though. So those would have to cycle.

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an arch. I’ll post it here when I put in it. 2 of the pieces are not cured though. So those would have to cycle.
Well...not "cycle". That's a term for a different process. However, depending on the size of the other two pieces, and the amount of rock already in the tank... If the two pieces are small, you could put them into the tank without curing. As mentioned before curing just removes dead organic material so it won't decay in the tank and cause ammonia spikes. However, if there's a LOT more established rock already in the tank, and the two pieces are small, the decaying organics won't have any noticeable affect.

If you don't want to risk it, then yeah, cure (not cycle) them.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...not "cycle". That's a term for a different process. However, depending on the size of the other two pieces, and the amount of rock already in the tank... If the two pieces are small, you could put them into the tank without curing. As mentioned before curing just removes dead organic material so it won't decay in the tank and cause ammonia spikes. However, if there's a LOT more established rock already in the tank, and the two pieces are small, the decaying organics won't have any noticeable affect.

If you don't want to risk it, then yeah, cure (not cycle) them.
Ok, cool thank you. It was like 4 ish pounds. But I already put that in like a month ago. And got another 3 pounds of non cure rock going in along with the rock I bought. I got about 17 ish pounds in the tank before I added the new.

Back