OP
dsmhero

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hero, huh? Post a link to your build.

My 98 AWD has a 2.3, 6176, tre trans, dss shaft etc... I love my dsm!

My original screen name since I was 14 was guitarhero14, BUT I kept getting funny looks and I hated having to explain I had it before that dumb game came out. Oh and mine is 95 awd w/ hx35.

Wow that 24 is packed.
Nice upgrade
How much Bauer did u use to water

Thanks. I still can't believe how much coral I had in that 24g. I used 15ml : cup of tank water.

Nice, not to get off topic but I'm an admin over at NABR. Wondering if I know who you are. My old nick was GoFastTSI and have had numerous DSM's over the years, Supra, and now a Syclone. Anyway, look forward to more build pics on your tank.

Thank you. No I do not believe we have met. I will check NABR out.

Nice cube.... a big fan of cube tanks.

Thank you very much.

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never heard of using that Bauer you used. Is there a reason you picked that? Im curious because all ive ever used is Coral Revive. But I always like hearing different ways that work well!! Love the UpGrade!!

OP
OP
dsmhero

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never heard of using that Bauer you used. Is there a reason you picked that? Im curious because all ive ever used is Coral Revive. But I always like hearing different ways that work well!! Love the UpGrade!!

That is the only Bayer I have seen used, which one are you referring to? I used to us Revive as well but Bayer is a much better dip in my opinion.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFter dipping how much rinsing did you have to do before placing it in the tank? any reactions from Fish and other tank inhabitants?

OP
OP
dsmhero

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFter dipping how much rinsing did you have to do before placing it in the tank? any reactions from Fish and other tank inhabitants?

Here was my procedure. I incorrectly stated I used 15ml/cup ratio but after looking at my notes I used 10ml/cup.

10mls of Bayer : 1 cup of tank water
Dip for 10mins
Rinse in clean tank water for 15mins
Back in tank

I was overly cautious and did a quick second rinse. There was zero acclamation to the new tank as well. I just took a week and matched parameters to make life easier. The corals were back to normal within an hour or so. I even dipped my LPS. I have yet to see any red bugs or AEFW but time will tell. I will definitely be dipping any new additions with Bayer.

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the only Bayer I have seen used, which one are you referring to? I used to us Revive as well but Bayer is a much better dip in my opinion.

I had never heard of using Bayer at all.. Thats cool, Ill have to try that one of these days!!

OP
OP
dsmhero

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never heard of using Bayer at all.. Thats cool, Ill have to try that one of these days!!

Oh I must of misread your post. It really is a good dip method. There still isn't an "optimal" dilution but so far the method I used has worked well.

OP
OP
dsmhero

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone guess my latest addition?

Attachments

• 1375579757637.jpg
    1375579757637.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 277
OP
OP
dsmhero

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick cell shot.

Attachments

• 1375814368836.jpg
    1375814368836.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 267
OP
OP
dsmhero

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS before I start rearranging everything.

Attachments

• 1375814519971.jpg
    1375814519971.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 297
OP
OP
dsmhero

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rearranged...what do you think?

Attachments

• 1375843928828.jpg
    1375843928828.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 259
  • 1375843940031.jpg
    1375843940031.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 255
  • 1375843947934.jpg
    1375843947934.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 260
OP
OP
dsmhero

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my BRS dual reactor today. Going to order some Gfo soon.

Attachments

• 1376010731195.jpg
    1376010731195.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 261
OP
OP
dsmhero

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I debated with myself whether to postthis or not for some time now. I ultimately came to the conclusionthat a little shaming will make me work extra hard to get the tankback to where it was. There were several factors that lead to thedeclining health of my tank. First, the coral beauty was a mistake. I knew the risks and unfortunately there was no reward. She pickedat all my coral except my chalices and euphyllias. So I finally hadenough and tried to catch it, a hour of multiple nets in the tank, Ijust couldn't trick it. I built a homemade fish trap with eggcrateand some food, within hours of adding it to the tank, the coralbeauty was removed.

The second factor was being sworn inthe Reserve Deputy unit of my local Sheriff's department. Betweentraining and actual ride time, there was little time for the tank. Tests were a rare occurrence and water changes were every other weekat 4g. Some of the suffering coral created a nice boost in nutrientsand I had a major green hair algae outbreak with some cyano.

I do believe the cyano was also due tohaving both MP10's on the backwall. There was quite a few dead spotsin the tank. I bit the bullet and decided to get over the aestheticsof no pumps on the front 3 sides and moved them on opposite sides andstaggered. What a difference in flow! It is unbelievable now, thecyano is already starting to clear up.

I started to run GFO now which Ibelieve is helping but hard to tell since my phosphates and nitratesare reading zero, which is obviously wrong. I also received adolabella sea hare to help with the green hair algae and he is a pig!Within a few days, 40% of the algae was removed. When I feel he hasdone the job, he will be passed around the local area of others whoneed him.

Another tweak to my system was to myskimmer. I had it running under 13†of water when 6-7†wererecommend. I threw a stand underneath my skimmer and it is skimmingmuch more consistently and heavier.

I am doing 8g water changes every weekand occasionally more. I am getting into the habit of testing weeklyagain. I just need to FORCE myself to do it. There was a few dropsin Alkalinity in the 3 months of decline which the SPS did not like. But now has be rectified. It is not that I don't care, but when mytank started slipping it was depressing. It was embarrassing to lookat. I lost a few frags but the ones affected are now in recoverymode. Now I can see the light and it has given me a big boost ofconfidence.

On a good side, even with the coralbeauty(before being removed) and a sixline. My clowns thought theywere comfortable enough to lay eggs, they ended up hatching andultimately becoming food. As of right now, they are laying again. Right on schedule.

With everything back on track, I hopeto keep you all updated on the progress. I always read through buildthreads and how flawless everything seems to go, but I figured Ishould show you a different side of things and hope to encourage afew people who are struggling.

I appreciate any comments or questions. Thank you for reading.

OP
OP
dsmhero

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would post a video of my clowns laying eggs again.

[video=youtube_share;dfPgb435r50]http://youtu.be/dfPgb435r50[/video]

OP
OP
dsmhero

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been awhile since I have posted an update. It has been a long journey and still miles to go. The green hair algae has been eradicated from the display tank thanks to finally adding some chaeto to my refugium and adding a handful of snails since the original ones must have become prey to the crabs in the tank, which have now been removed.

My new problem is cyano which I am hoping will eventually go away with diligent water changes and gfo changes. Any suggestions would be great. I tried the 3 day blackout to no avail. I have two mp10's running at full blast so I don't think water flow is a problem.

Here is a picture to confirm cyano with maybe some dinos?

Also was able to upgrade my saltwater mixing system. I was originally using three 5 gallon buckets which was time consuming and inefficient. Here is what I have now:

Here is a picture of my trachyphyllia which had a hammer fall on it at the LFS and I bought it for $20 in hopes to save it. Half of the flesh was missing and I do believe it is doing well as of now.

New maxima clam 5"

I had a sixline wrasse who became a troublemaker and wouldn't allow any new additions to the tank. He originally had a tank of his own until I had to break it down and into the 60g he went. I was able to acquire a fish trap and caught him in less than 24hrs.

I was now able to add a couple new fish. Here is my Halichoeres melanurus and Leopard wrasse which I believe is a bipartitus, thoughts?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back