Dual MP40 placement on Reefer 250

phildoingthings

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2022
Messages
68
Reaction score
41
Location
Long Island
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have two MP40s in my Red Sea Reefer 250, have had them both on the sides of the tank and on the back glass and am wondering what other peoples opinions are on placement in this dimension tank. I mainly moved them because i felt like I was getting serious dead spots behind my aquascape and the "gyre" motion from back to front really put a stop to those. One pump is set on reef crest with the other on slave setting. 20% speed max

I have one Trachyphylia that was thriving with the pumps on the sides but now that I moved them to the back i feel like it may be getting pelted a bit too much because it doesn't get as large as it did in the beginning. placed in the front right corner.
 
My last tank was a Reefer 250 and I also had 2 MP40s.

i think a lot depends on the scape in your tank but worked best for me was to create kind of a spiral effect. I had one MP40 towards the front glass about 1/3-40% down from the top on the same side as the return (right, I think). And the other on the other side about 1/3 from the bottom and towards the back glass.

I’d occasionally get some buildup on the sand right under the return because flow was lowest down in that corner but it was the setup that let to the best overall movement on my setup.

I tried a few different setups though, just like you’re doing. Trial and error got me to the one that worked best for me. Good luck!
 
Gotcha! I think for now it seems like mounting them on the back glass makes decent flow pattern around my scape so ill see how it develops.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new