Dual MP40 placement on Reefer 250

phildoingthings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have two MP40s in my Red Sea Reefer 250, have had them both on the sides of the tank and on the back glass and am wondering what other peoples opinions are on placement in this dimension tank. I mainly moved them because i felt like I was getting serious dead spots behind my aquascape and the "gyre" motion from back to front really put a stop to those. One pump is set on reef crest with the other on slave setting. 20% speed max

I have one Trachyphylia that was thriving with the pumps on the sides but now that I moved them to the back i feel like it may be getting pelted a bit too much because it doesn't get as large as it did in the beginning. placed in the front right corner.

jlbrew3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last tank was a Reefer 250 and I also had 2 MP40s.

i think a lot depends on the scape in your tank but worked best for me was to create kind of a spiral effect. I had one MP40 towards the front glass about 1/3-40% down from the top on the same side as the return (right, I think). And the other on the other side about 1/3 from the bottom and towards the back glass.

I’d occasionally get some buildup on the sand right under the return because flow was lowest down in that corner but it was the setup that let to the best overall movement on my setup.

I tried a few different setups though, just like you’re doing. Trial and error got me to the one that worked best for me. Good luck!

OP
OP
phildoingthings

phildoingthings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! I think for now it seems like mounting them on the back glass makes decent flow pattern around my scape so ill see how it develops.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back