Ducan coral bubble tips?

Hank The Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Duncan coral frag for the firs time from a LFS recently. I'd only seen sharp tips on duncan corals on YouTube and when I purchased this duncan at the LFS, it had a sharp tip. Now that it is in my tank, the tips turn bubble/round during the day and retract back to sharp at night. Is this something I should be concerned about? Had this happened to you?

IMG_8597.JPG

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's either unhappy or still acclimating

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan’s are a weird coral. They’re one of the easiest to keep and grow but I feel they can be insanely moody at times. Especially the first couple months in a new tank.

Mine was just 1 head for half a year and would be open, closed, bubbly, flowy and such and then it just started sprouting new heads like no ones business. I guess what I’m saying is until it stays retracted or losing flesh I wouldn’t worry to much, especially since it is new.

OP
OP
H

Hank The Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan’s are a weird coral. They’re one of the easiest to keep and grow but I feel they can be insanely moody at times. Especially the first couple months in a new tank.

Mine was just 1 head for half a year and would be open, closed, bubbly, flowy and such and then it just started sprouting new heads like no ones business. I guess what I’m saying is until it stays retracted or losing flesh I wouldn’t worry to much, especially since it is new.
Thanks for the advice. It’s been in the tank for 3 weeks and remained bubbly for the last 2 weeks. Now I noticed some purple flesh. I hope it will make it.

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the others have said, it's just a moody coral either acclimating or giving some sass. Mine does this for seemingly no good reason then hours later it'll be big and and blooming. I'm sure you've heard this before but lower light to begin with then slowly bring it where you want it. Patience is key.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I purchased a Duncan coral frag for the firs time from a LFS recently. I'd only seen sharp tips on duncan corals on YouTube and when I purchased this duncan at the LFS, it had a sharp tip. Now that it is in my tank, the tips turn bubble/round during the day and retract back to sharp at night. Is this something I should be concerned about? Had this happened to you?

IMG_8597.JPG
Nothing wrong with this guy. Its a type of duncan referred to as Daisy duncan (Duncanopsammia axifuga) and is a deep water variety

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my experience with Duncans, this is typically due to an imbalance in your water. Test if you haven't and make necessary adjustments.

The above may still be true but I just realized I missed that they go back to being pointed at night. In that case it is likely that the light is too intense where it is currently located.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back