Ducan Help

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I spelled it right. My Ducan is receding from the bottom. There is some algae hair next to it. I have it at the bottom of tank.

Flowers are open nice but the button is struggling.
CD68613A-3DB6-4BF6-8659-1B8544090A3F.jpeg
Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I spelled it right. My Ducan is receding from the bottom. There is some algae hair next to it. I have it at the bottom of tank.

Flowers are open nice but the button is struggling.
CD68613A-3DB6-4BF6-8659-1B8544090A3F.jpeg
Thanks
Your Duncan is perfectly fine :) its receding because the polyps are growing out and that is its skeletal structure its leaving behind.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a happy little guy I would recommend a conch for the hair algae it did major work in my tank in just a couple weeks I could see the gravel again
I have a large clean up crew being delivered tomorrow

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Duncan is perfectly fine :) its receding because the polyps are growing out and that is its skeletal structure its leaving behind.

Thanks Crabs. So as it grows behind dies? Seems strange lol I did not know if I needed to move it up.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Crabs. So as it grows behind dies? Seems strange lol I did not know if I needed to move it up.
It's technically not dead it's skeleton it's building a structural base for it to branch out and grow

brawthy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine, in fact it is growing, so keep doing what you are doing.

if you continue to have algea problems though, running chemipure for a few hours a day to start and then throwing it the tank full time is okay (or throw in some macro algea)!

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now my ducan is not comeing out. I see it come out a little "1/3 " for a few hours but not full like it was. I don't understand. All my other corals are doing fine! My levels are 0 aomn. 0 N&N. 0 Phos. 1350mag 420 calc. 8.4 ph. 1.025 salt temp 76 alk 7

I did change my salt to reef crystals... Maybe that change?

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 alk seems low for reef crystals at 1.025 salt.

fwiw , my duncan disappeared for months when my tank was new. I had it on the sand bed. I was ready to toss it when I noticed flesh deep inside the tube (it was a single polyp frag). i moved it up on the rocks where it got a little better flow and little by little it started to appear.

two years later it's thriving
IMG_1092.JPG

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That's how mine use to look

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved some flow and adjusted my lighting a little. He still is not out, he was out nicely for 3 weeks... Now just closed for almost 2 weeks. So I should move him from the sand bed up more to the middle? Some corals that I placed near the top are bleaching, so I removed them to the lower part of tank.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the best thing to do for a Duncan coral is give it food. When I give frozen food the LPS corals get a good squirt from the turkey baster every day. Your levels of NO3=0 PO4=0 does not look the Duncan is getting enough food for maximum growth and is surviving the best it can. They should grow into the shape of a ball when happy. I find the Duncan coral is the "pig of the reef"... will eat what ever you give it, want more and grow. Really don't know if I got a freak Duncan but it is always hungry. See if feeding more food for yours will make a difference.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the best thing to do for a Duncan coral is give it food. When I give frozen food the LPS corals get a good squirt from the turkey baster every day. Your levels of NO3=0 PO4=0 does not look the Duncan is getting enough food for maximum growth and is surviving the best it can. They should grow into the shape of a ball when happy. I find the Duncan coral is the "pig of the reef"... will eat what ever you give it, want more and grow. Really don't know if I got a freak Duncan but it is always hungry. See if feeding more food for yours will make a difference.

Thanks. It use to come out and i use to feed it. Now its like semi out. Then goes back in... frustrating lol

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try giving it "the good stuff"... Piscine PEMysis, fish eggs, squid, Rod's foods and Larry's Reef Frenzy etc. Give the coral a reason to come out to eat and stay out. It might take some time and babying.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try giving it "the good stuff"... Piscine PEMysis, fish eggs, squid, Rod's foods and Larry's Reef Frenzy etc. Give the coral a reason to come out to eat and stay out. It might take some time and babying.

Cool Thanks, I'll give it a try!

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update? it can take time to get the duncan to feel secure enough to come out regularly. I am in the camp that likes to feed my duncans. they don't need it, but it's fun and they will grow quickly with regular feedings. fwiw , when mine was timid, Reef Energy triggered feeding responses in most of my corals, including the duncan.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update? it can take time to get the duncan to feel secure enough to come out regularly. I am in the camp that likes to feed my duncans. they don't need it, but it's fun and they will grow quickly with regular feedings. fwiw , when mine was timid, Reef Energy triggered feeding responses in most of my corals, including the duncan.
Thanks. He came out a little but not much. He was great for a few weeks lol he eats a little .

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back