Duncan + Chemiclean = !!!

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks!

So I had a minor cyano outbreak. After chatting with some folks at my LFS, I took their advice (against my better judgement) and dosed with chemiclean. I was pretty hesitant about the use of chemicals as I am generally weary of any chemical additives. Hindsight being 20/20, I probably should have stuck to manual removal and water changes since the presence of cyano was minor and contained to one are.

Anyway, on to why I am here: my Duncan is not loving life after the addition of chemiclean. You can see pictures of it before and after below. The day I dosed, it had 4 new heads growing and was happy as ever, today, Duncan looks like he just got off a three day bender. This is a 55 gallon system, but not being exactly sure of water volume with consideration to rock and sand, I went ahead and only dosed the amount for a 25 gallon system. My skimmer ran, and threw a fit, and today I did a water change (7 gallons). I will do another small change tomorrow.

My question is: is this normal behavior for a Duncan? Should "he" return to normal in the coming days? All my other corals are looking happy, neon trumpets, hammer, anacropora, zoas, etc. Tested tonight, parameters are listed below, everything looks good IMO.

Temp. 78.2
Salinity 1.025
Cal. 480
pH 8.0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 2
kH 10.1
Mg. 1560
Phosphates .25 mg/L

IMG-3205[1].jpg
IMG-3120[2].jpg

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just ran three back to back to back treatments of the liquid version. No issues with my colony of Duncan’s. Probably 30+heads, none seem to be upset.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ran it to with Duncan’s- they were fine as well. How long has it been closed? If just recently, maybe wait and give him a day to loose his attitude and be happy again lol.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @DaneGer21 , I used to have a MAJOR cyano problem in my tank, used some Chemiclean and it went away completely after about 3-4 days. Saw no improvement after days 1-2, but on the 3 morning I noticed it was half gone, then kept using it for another day and it went away. Or at least thats what I saw. Its come back again but very minor, but I should have basically eradicated when I got the chance. NEver had any issues with the duncan, I think thats one of my only coral I have NEVER had any issues with, except my discosoma mushroom.

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ran it to with Duncan’s- they were fine as well. How long has it been closed? If just recently, maybe wait and give him a day to loose his attitude and be happy again lol.
He started closing up a bit yesterday, but I didn't really notice it until later in the evening when the light cycle was dimming, and he normally closes up some around this that time anyway. Today, he stayed in that closed state, closing up completely (as shown in the picture) when the light cycle was dimming tonight. Any ideas what else it could be?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back