Duncan coral not opening

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it isn't happy with the low nitrates/phosphates...alkalinity is where they usually like it. I had a Duncan that wouldn't open for months besides small stubby tentacles. Once I raised my alkalinity to around 9-9.5 and then the no3/po4 was around 5-10ppm and 0.05-0.10ppm, respectively, and now the Duncan is really happy and growing like crazy.

Duncans are good canaries...they pick up water parameter changes and let you know when they are not happy!

I agree , 10-15 ppm no3 is a respectable range. Corals need to eat! Good luck bud!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room you could use a upside down clear critter cage with holes drilled in it, to allow flow, over the Duncan. Or any intank quarantine box that you can get over it. You could put a small piece of rock on top to keep it down. This would do a few things for you, not allow your fish to get near it, reduce flow, and also filter out some light. Duncans are pretty hardy coral.
This is what I use, with holes drilled in all sides.

I've tried drilling holes in these small terrariums and constantly shatter or crack the thin acrylic. What's the secret?

Reefer508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried drilling holes in these small terrariums and constantly shatter or crack the thin acrylic. What's the secret?

Sharp small drill bit at high speed with light pressure. I've gotten some small cracks but haven't had one shatter on me.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Duncan seems to go through phases of slightly open then closed throughout the day. I spent the weekend in my office working and didn't see any inhabitants bothering it.

DSC_0177.JPG DSC_0176.JPG DSC_0179.JPG

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the fish, I have flake food, pellets, fozen mysis and a couple other frozen foods.

For corals, I have some reef roids and LPS pellets.

The fish I feed once a day and corals 1-2x week.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Duncan has been looking more like the below pic the last few days. Just little nub of tentacles, but better than being completely closed up.

DSC_0181.JPG

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still having trouble with this Duncan. It's not as closed up as it was but it never extends more than a few nubs

Still eats when I feed it and doesn't look like it's dying.

DSC_0186.JPG

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back