Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab.....molting or dead?

ddranschak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are brand new to the saltwater scene. We have 4 dwarf red and 4 dwarf blue hermits. One of our dwarf blues looks just like the first picture which I found posted on another thread. My crab is in the blue circle in the second picture. Wish I could get a better picture. Will try to get one. We found it hidden behind a shell today. They were all moving around well eating up my small diatom bloom two days ago. All other crabs are doing well today. If it is molting, can I put a shell or something over it to protect it while molting? Or maybe just shells around it? I have not located his old shell yet either. Is this normal? Thanks in advance!

8C467004-7AE0-458E-99FF-AEF8EADD90FD.jpg 2021-01-09 140253.jpg

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We are brand new to the saltwater scene. We have 4 dwarf red and 4 dwarf blue hermits. One of our dwarf blues looks just like the first picture which I found posted on another thread. My crab is in the blue circle in the second picture. Wish I could get a better picture. Will try to get one. We found it hidden behind a shell today. They were all moving around well eating up my small diatom bloom two days ago. All other crabs are doing well today. If it is molting, can I put a shell or something over it to protect it while molting? Or maybe just shells around it? I have not located his old shell yet either. Is this normal? Thanks in advance!

8C467004-7AE0-458E-99FF-AEF8EADD90FD.jpg 2021-01-09 140253.jpg
Looks like molting

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Appears to be a molt. generally they do it in a hidden spot. I would say to move it below but during molt, you dont want to disturb it.

OP
OP
D

ddranschak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: So we found the blue hermit that we though was molting. Turned out that he molted!! That was the leftover molting. Is it pretty normal for a two day molting?

raks291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like molting
Hi there, I am a newbie too., have exact same situation . My hermit crab is out is shell, upside down under some algae , can’t tell if it is dead or molting but looks exactly like this picture, can you let me know if any update

raks291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I am a newbie too., have exact same situation . My hermit crab is out is shell, upside down under some algae , can’t tell if it is dead or molting but looks exactly like this picture, can you let me know if any update
image.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back