Easiest or Most Difficult Pet To Keep, Is Reef Keeping the choice for you?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef keeping is as easy or as difficult as you make it.

You can have a soft coral dominant tank and some standard fish and do water changes every few months to never.

or you can have a maricultured/wild acro dominated tank with morish idols and ich prone tangs.

Most people fall somewhere in the middle... a mixed tank with a mix of fish.. some easy, some a bit harder.

velvetelvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have a "gentlemen's farm" and so let me see if I can keep this accurate
3 horses
12 goats (1 billie)
2 donkeys
1 burro
3 pigs
75 hens (4-5 roosters)
bunch of quail
1 goose, (who has a special relationship with one of the pigs)
and 5 dogs (a Pyrenees, Black mouthed Cur a Canaan Dog, a Shepard, and a Guatemalan street dog
a captive bred mature beaded lizard
and a despised cat.
with all the above, I spend 60% of my animal time time in the fish room

never once had anything from the fish room throw me from a a saddle, run through my legs and tear my acl while carrying feed buckets or knock me to my butt with a head but
and if you think the price of MP 40 s has become ridiculous you should see what inflation has done to 350 pounds of layer pellets and horse feed
Why is the poor kitty despised?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing is cheaper than taking the dog to the vet. Fish don't throw up on the floor at 2am in the morning, bark incessantly at anything that moves or wake you up by climbing up and sitting on you.

Or leave hair balls to find with bare feet as you're making your first cup of coffee.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think trying to define one animal as more difficult depends on so many things and can be different at different times.

For a reef tank, it is so knowledge based in the beginning if done correctly. It can be overwhelming for new comers, therefore they skip the research and dive in. This is where you get losses and frustration. It is truly a hobby and needs to constantly researched and fine tuned. Cost is dependent on the wants of the hobbyist. The time the hobbyist puts into it (both effort and knowledge) is so important. I spend more time on my reefs than my dog currently.

With dogs, they can be very expensive also depending on the type and health of the animal. As a puppy, they need shots and training, and toys, etc. so they can be expensive (especially if you get a specific top bred dog). Then the cost slows down to food, time being the main expense. As they age, more vets bills, more special food, more issues around the house, etc.

Now, I have not had other pets (mostly due to circumstance and husband, not choice). But my rottie was very costly from a time standpoint. I walked her and trained her daily. We competed in dog obedience and she was a very dominant dog. So, tested me till the day she died. My mastiffs were expensive to get, feed, care for by vet, but a lot less time needed for training.

My current dog is easy. Feed, pet, water, snuggle, pet, snuggle, brush, and he is happy.

My dogs have been a lot more expensive emotionally than my reefs. I have had losses reef keeping and have been very down, but losing my dogs is more challenging for me.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bark incessantly at anything
I don’t know if anyones used this joke yet (I’m only on the 1st page) however, I don’t think you’ve met a hungry Emperor angel.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the hobby, I don’t think it’s any more expensive or cheap than keeping most other pets. Mainly because the further into it you get the more expensive Livestock you wind up getting (Trust me… I know from experience that the want for a 100+ fish gets to you eventually).

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have

3 cats
3 snakes
and until a week ago, a 20 gallon reef tank.

The tank was the hardest of all of them to take care of, but was also just as rewarding as the others. I will say that "easiest" and "hardest" are subjective terms, but you don't need to dose alkalinity on the cat. On the other hand, you don't get so many heart attacks from a reef as you get from a very food motivated 6 foot colubrid.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the poor kitty despised?
shreds the bottoms of each and every fabric bottomed piece of furniture and box springs, claw marks on the leather chairs, leaves bluebirds on the doormat, eats skinks, pees in my sink (not my wife's..) - need more?

Last edited:

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shreds the bottoms of each and every fabric bottomed piece of furniture and box springs, claw marks on the leather chairs, leaves bluebirds on the doormat, eats skinks, peas in my sink (not my wife's..) - need more?
and not sure I mentioned in the first tally, a 3 foot CB Mexican beaded lizard, raised from the egg

velvetelvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you might want to rehome kitty! I'm so sorry about your lizard.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and not sure I mentioned in the first tally, a 3 foot CB Mexican beaded lizard, raised from the egg
0F7154E0-6869-4232-858A-E542405FA398.jpeg

And my son is a herpetologist

he said he could not pick up “the big one”

1C0B55E5-4948-4A1E-8B1C-D700CB873C26.jpeg

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the initial setup of the system, I would say the fact we have 3 great danes is far more expensive. Vet bills, quality food, non rawhide chews, treats, destroyed beds, crates, whole house carpet replacement with laminate flooring. We just had to till up our entire back yard and reseed it due to looking like a cow pasture from them destroying it, so all in all I’m will to say the dogs have been more expensive over all!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have 3 dogs… Needy is checked off by 2 of the three. I mean, I can’t leave one of them alone and the other wants fussing any time one of the other two are being fussed. Then you add all three of them needing to be walked essentially every day. It just gets hectic but hey, that’s what comes with taking in a relatives dog for a temporary period (How long is unknown) and also having your own two border collies.
Here’s two of the three, the third prefers to be downstairs. P.S. the Teddy is theirs
B5029D39-9BC4-46ED-814E-F9EF53029BE3.jpeg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back