0   0   0

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all of you dose for your corals ?

I personally don’t. I do 2% daily water changes and so far that keeps up with everything major. I will probably need to start 2-part at some point in the future, but probably only on a weekly basis.

OP
OP
siner94

siner94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t. I do 2% daily water changes and so far that keeps up with everything major. I will probably need to start 2-part at some point in the future, but probably only on a weekly basis.

I was told they need it or they die

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals and coral life salts. What ever is on sale.

Lbrod126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP (Green star polyps) are really easy but like xena also grow like weeds. If you do get them I would suggest creating an island rock to put them on away from your other rock work. Another easy coral are zoanthids and palythoas. Just look into palys before you get them because they are very toxic. Look into any coral before putting it in your tank and don't believe everything your LFS tells you. See the level of care, lighting and difficulty of keeping any coral you put into your tank. Enjoy hope you find the right coral!

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siner94, xenia can easily take over your tank. My suggestion would be zoanthids, palys, and mushrooms. With xenia and some of the other suggestions that some people have offered up...its like being married to the same person forever. It can get boring. Zoas, palys, and shrooms there are thousands of different specimens...colors...and financial opportunities. You can easily see development. See growth. And this is where the excitement begins. And also where you begin to become confident. Zoas, palys, and mushrooms start off at a few dollars a peice and go as high as your hearts (or wallets) desire. Hence, here is your plenty of fish in the sea. Rastas, gobstoppers...or JF kraks....the excitement starts at your desire. Where ever you find your passion in this hobby. And with these three combined...they are easy to mingle and mix with. You dont have to worry about dosing and calcium and magnesium so much.... you just have to look for those little pests that everyone has to worry about. Nasty aptasia...those little red worms....asterina star fish...things like that. I have a separate 31 gall biocube in my bedroom for my shrooms. (I'm having to move up to a 70 long for sake of my mushroom collection has become alot bigger than I anticipated). But I also have a 340 gall total set up in my living room that's my community tank. I get so much more excitement out of my little mushroom tank. Have fun with the hobby. Make it yours. Own it. But do what makes you happy not what others tell you you should do. I was told acros is where I ultimately want to be. I like my acros but I love my mushrooms. Bubbles and jawbreakers and rarities...that's my passion. Find yours and go all In and I promise the long game will be worth it. Good luck. And if you ever need any help or want some rare shrooms or zoas hit me up. If I dont have it I can probably tell you who to go to with out having a sore butt afterwards. Most people in this hobby....especially here on r2r are so very helpful. But here and there you do run into some blood thirsty sharks.
Screenshot_20180805-220757_Gallery.jpeg
20180809_231947.jpeg
Screenshot_20180805-220747_Gallery.jpeg
20180721_221949.jpeg
20180502_232301.jpeg
20180503_003843.jpeg

OP
OP
siner94

siner94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siner94, xenia can easily take over your tank. My suggestion would be zoanthids, palys, and mushrooms. With xenia and some of the other suggestions that some people have offered up...its like being married to the same person forever. It can get boring. Zoas, palys, and shrooms there are thousands of different specimens...colors...and financial opportunities. You can easily see development. See growth. And this is where the excitement begins. And also where you begin to become confident. Zoas, palys, and mushrooms start off at a few dollars a peice and go as high as your hearts (or wallets) desire. Hence, here is your plenty of fish in the sea. Rastas, gobstoppers...or ********....the excitement starts at your desire. Where ever you find your passion in this hobby. And with these three combined...they are easy to mingle and mix with. You dont have to worry about dosing and calcium and magnesium so much.... you just have to look for those little pests that everyone has to worry about. Nasty aptasia...those little red worms....asterina star fish...things like that. I have a separate 31 gall biocube in my bedroom for my shrooms. (I'm having to move up to a 70 long for sake of my mushroom collection has become alot bigger than I anticipated). But I also have a 340 gall total set up in my living room that's my community tank. I get so much more excitement out of my little mushroom tank. Have fun with the hobby. Make it yours. Own it. But do what makes you happy not what others tell you you should do. I was told acros is where I ultimately want to be. I like my acros but I love my mushrooms. Bubbles and jawbreakers and rarities...that's my passion. Find yours and go all In and I promise the long game will be worth it. Good luck. And if you ever need any help or want some rare shrooms or zoas hit me up. If I dont have it I can probably tell you who to go to with out having a sore butt afterwards. Most people in this hobby....especially here on r2r are so very helpful. But here and there you do run into some blood thirsty sharks.
Screenshot_20180805-220757_Gallery.jpeg
20180809_231947.jpeg
Screenshot_20180805-220747_Gallery.jpeg
20180721_221949.jpeg
20180502_232301.jpeg
20180503_003843.jpeg

Thanks for the huge response!!! I’m really starting to fall for this hobby I started with freshwater and converted to this and I’m blown away with the differences I don’t think you ever know everything about saltwater maybe just enough. I’m hoping one day I can have a full blown reef with a bit of everything like everyone has shared with me. Thanks

Lbrod126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all of you dose for your corals ?
I never dosed when I had strictly and lps and softie tank. Just did regualr water changer to replenish the elements. Now when it comes to SPS I do reccomended dosing two part. If you're not sure how to do this BRS has a pretty good video on YouTube about dosing two part. You can do it manually or install an automatic dosing system in.

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the huge response!!! I’m really starting to fall for this hobby I started with freshwater and converted to this and I’m blown away with the differences I don’t think you ever know everything about saltwater maybe just enough. I’m hoping one day I can have a full blown reef with a bit of everything like everyone has shared with me. Thanks
It's really hard to mix sps and Lps because you have things like torches that burn other coral...or chalices like a war coral...that burns other corals...or sweeping feeding tentacles or chemical warfare they unleash on each other. This is my second attempt at salt water. My first was at 17. I had a fowlr tank. Was in a tragic car accident. My girlfriend was killed in the accident. So the salt water helped with insomnia. The vivid colors and unusual fish helped change things for me and drew me out of depression. Then a few years ago I started to go thru a divorce and decided I'd jump back into it. Do yourself a favor now and save yourself money in the long run. Air fresheners... pledge..aerosols, electric air enhancers...anything that puts chemicals I the air..get rid of it. Lps or sps...if the fumes get in your tank its gonna kill every thing. There's a lot of smart people here on r2r. But there's also alot of people that just want to be heard. Have the spot light for 20 seconds and put their Insight In. You will love this hobby if you can learn enough to keep you out of trouble. And if you ever have questions there's always someone to lend advice. Or you can PM me . Have a good one and dont let anyone deter you. It's a learning experience for everyone every day no matter how much they know

OP
OP
siner94

siner94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never dosed when I had strictly and lps and softie tank. Just did regualr water changer to replenish the elements. Now when it comes to SPS I do reccomended dosing two part. If you're not sure how to do this BRS has a pretty good video on YouTube about dosing two part. You can do it manually or install an automatic dosing system in.

I just have a Kenya tree, GSP and I can’t remember the other one. So I shouldn’t have to dose?

Lbrod126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you should be fine, what type of salt are you using? Also I reccomended before you do your water change testing your DKH( alkalinity) and PH in the new freshly mixed water this will just make sure you're replensihing the good elements before you put that new water in as well as reassure you that you didn't get a bad batch of salt which has happened in the past.

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank and no you shouldn't have to dose. Calcium and magnesium isnt needed. Of course you should get in the habit of trying attempt it slowly but you must drop it it or your corals will suffer chemical burn from the calcium. Do regular water samples and change out a portion of your water ever week...or two. Cycle your water. If you're making you're own water...save money and time and buy a ro/di unit to purify your water. You can fi d some pretty cheap ut make sure you also buy a test meter to see how much metal and alloys and trash is going in your water...

OP
OP
siner94

siner94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you should be fine, what type of salt are you using? Also I reccomended before you do your water change testing your DKH( alkalinity) and PH in the new freshly mixed water this will just make sure you're replensihing the good elements before you put that new water in as well as reassure you that you didn't get a bad batch of salt which has happened in the past.

I’ve been buying it from my LPS it’s a 12 gallon nano j&j

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change out about a gallon a week. You're gonna want to go bigger here soon. Just being honest. And something to keep in mind. The more water density you have the less you're probable to make a mistake with dosage. But a nano, I wouldnt dose at all. Just cycle water out to keep up nutrients. Look for a used bio cube and stand on let go. New they are a few hundred bux. Used...you can get them cheap. Hundred bux maybe. They have the lights and filters and pumps already built in. People buy tanks with the intention of going all in and then life throws you a curve and its suddenly a headache. Or maybe they just couldn't do it...who knows. But dont ever buy a tank that someone has had a reptile in it. Lights are where you're going to get your growth. That's why I suggested moving up to a bio cube. At least check them out.

OP
OP
siner94

siner94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I wanted to get a bigger thank but this 12 gallon was pretty cheap and came with light, built in filter and stand for only 50 bucks so I had to grab it

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you put in is what you can expect to get back. I learned that along time ago with lawyers. Same applies to just about every situation. The nano is a start to get you wet. But keep in mind it takes certain lights for growth. Take your time. Set your mind in what direction you want to go in. I have thousands in my set up and probably another 25k in corals. There's some people that put 25 and 30k just into their tanks. Is a big step up from fresh water. But so much more worth it

OP
OP
siner94

siner94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you put in is what you can expect to get back. I learned that along time ago with lawyers. Same applies to just about every situation. The nano is a start to get you wet. But keep in mind it takes certain lights for growth. Take your time. Set your mind in what direction you want to go in. I have thousands in my set up and probably another 25k in corals. There's some people that put 25 and 30k just into their tanks. Is a big step up from fresh water. But so much more worth it

EXACTLY! I know once I get this tank going I’ll want a bigger and better set up but for now I’m okay maybe a year or so who knows. Hopefully I can a good conditioned 28 gallon cube is what I’m looking for next....

Back