OP
siner94

siner94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have always loved green star polps but they spread like a weed later on. They are also a pain to remove once your tank gets more mature. If you go with the pulsating Xenia I have found it will take over your tank. It spreads like a wild fire quickly but so neat when it pulsates. I have found lol sticking it between two other stinging corals aka Hollywood stunner and bubble tip anemones keeps it in check. However bubble tips wouldn’t be a good beginner, holly wood stunner is fairly easy and hearty and grows fast also. It does have very long sweepers so don’t place next to sps. Stinging Duncan’s are pretty easy and so are blue/green hammers and frogspawn. I hear people like kenya trees but they spread super fast and if you cut them they can release a toxin in your tank and it’s not good when it does. I’d hesitate on the Kenya tree unless you can isolate it from spreading or has its own rock.

Hope it works well for you and welcome to R2R where there are tons of lovely people and more knowledge than you will know what to do with. We would love to see pics of your new slice of ocean reef.

Cheers
Sarah

Thanks!!!! I’ve read about the Kenya tree but I had no luck finding one same goes for the Xenia they all looked very unhealthy

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20180809_210940_01.jpg
finger leather, my very first coral three years ago. It has survived many mistakes and a severe dino outbreak. Reason I have hair algea now. That's a whole nother story . I bought it about the thrid of that size.

OP
OP
siner94

siner94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20180809_210940_01.jpg
my very first coral three years ago. It has survived many mistakes and a severe dino outbreak. Reason I have hair algea now. That's a whole nother story . I bought it about the thrid of that size.

That’s a big boy!!!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yes lol 120 for green star is outrageous if would have to be a full row of carpet for my tank that’s 6 feet long. I’d have to buy crabs to clip it. In a few months it will be four times the size and you will beg people to take some. Lol ask @cracker :) it’s his favorite coral ever :). He has probably designed a water proof lawn mower to clip it also :). (@cracker have missed ya).

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it's too late at this point. Lights out on the tank & getting close for my lights as well !

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since everyone is posting pics...

This is when I purchased my first frag of gsp and xenia 3/11/15.
IMG_0598.jpg
IMG_0599.jpg

And this was it by september of the same year.
IMG_0348.jpg

It took off even more from there and by the time I tore down that tank in late 2016 it was essentially 50/50 gsp and xenia. I do admit it did look pretty cool :rolleyes:.

Here you can barely see the sliver I saved from that gsp on 7/18/16.
IMG_1340.jpg

And this pic was taken a couple of weeks ago...
IMG_1034.jpg

OP
OP
siner94

siner94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since everyone is posting pics...

This is when I purchased my first frag of gsp and xenia 3/11/15.
IMG_0598.jpg
IMG_0599.jpg

And this was it by september of the same year.
IMG_0348.jpg

It took off even more from there and by the time I tore down that tank in late 2016 it was essentially 50/50 gsp and xenia. I do admit it did look pretty cool :rolleyes:.

Here you can barely see the sliver I saved from that gsp on 7/18/16.
IMG_1340.jpg

And this pic was taken a couple of weeks ago...
IMG_1034.jpg

Haha wow! This gets me even more excited to see this thing grow
Looks great in your tank btw

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha wow! This gets me even more excited to see this thing grow
Looks great in your tank btw

Thanks, and FWIW I wasn't trying to discourage you in my earlier post. If you know the characteristics of these types of coral and that's what you want then go for it! I just see a lot of beginners who get these corals then end up having to take apart half their tank later on when they realize they want other coral.

OP
OP
siner94

siner94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and FWIW I wasn't trying to discourage you in my earlier post. If you know the characteristics of these types of coral and that's what you want then go for it! I just see a lot of beginners who get these corals then end up having to take apart half their tank later on when they realize they want other coral.

No, I understand that’s why I’m on here to get feed back on things I have no clue about.
Since most of you already have/had this coral and witnessed its best and worst form you guys like to warn. Thanks

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Photosynthetic Gorgonians, they dont spread as bad as other softies. downside is most can be pretty toxic.

With good flow and good light are pretty forgiving of water chemistry.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back