Easy cheap plexiglass lid

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers , I just did a custom lid for my tank after unfortunate even of my clown jumping out, though I can give you guys an idea.

I chose plexiglass as it’s cheap ( with Covid blowing over you can probably get it for free from someone who used it as Covid shield) or else like I did buy it for around 5€.

step one is to mark the size of the tank:
E164E55E-FD96-49EE-9857-FFDA005AA611.jpeg

To do so I just placed it on the tank and marked the size.

Mark the holes and light cutaway:
96EE595E-8085-4965-82F4-353FCFF9513B.jpeg

I did a grid 1cm each.l to guide me when drilling ventilation holes later on. keep in mind I didn’t peel the plastic off yet so that get cleaner cuts.

On table saw Using guide I cut the shape and using plunge cuts cut of the hole for the light fixture. I used table saw since I own one, but regular hand saw and a bit of elbow grease will do just fine

drilled the ventilation holes and 2 finger holes on front edges. For now I settled on 6 holes, later on might drill more. I’m trying to find a best balance between lowering evaporation and leaving space for heat to escape.

Sanded it down and it was ready to be tested:
6FE0A0B0-CFDF-4F2C-8166-B7F74AD97AE9.jpeg

peel and test fit! The light hole is slightly bigger since I’m waiting for new light to arrive

here are some of the final product images:

88AC735E-4962-48E9-9E60-5F7DBBDA7132.jpeg
39F75022-3128-420F-8E9C-EDC0C7A691AE.jpeg
66665B65-222A-42A8-B0EE-A5D9DCBE227E.jpeg
787A66F3-CF16-4459-ABB9-98C8B8F0C2A2.jpeg

Anyway this is just a quick guide but feel free to ask questions. Great Sunday afternoon project that will save money compared to out of the box options and be a great custom fit

cheers :)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work, I had the same thought of scoring plexiglass from stores as the take down barriers.

One suggestion, if your PH starts to drop and some more air holes of cut a large hole and add screen.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work, I had the same thought of scoring plexiglass from stores as the take down barriers.

One suggestion, if your PH starts to drop and some more air holes of cut a large hole and add screen.
Thanks , I am definitely keeping an eye on it. I started with less air holes because I want to reduce evaporation as much as possible, but I can always add more (compared to having too many ) .
Recently I saw some discussions on lids for nano tanks which are very pricey, so though I’d share this easy and cheap method

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Years ago I made a DIY lid out of similar clear material from Lowe's. I believe it was plexi-glass (acrylic). But eventually it started to warp. I think the heat from the light and humidity didn't help the cause.

I ended up replacing it with a thicker piece of Lexan and that worked better.

Don't want to rain on your parade, just something to watch for.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I made a DIY lid out of similar clear material from Lowe's. I believe it was plexi-glass (acrylic). But eventually it started to warp. I think the heat from the light and humidity didn't help the cause.

it is definitely a possibility, in fact, I was thinking of cutting 3 at the same time ( glue them together, pass them on the saw at once) but I didn't have enough material ( I went to pick It up with a motorcycle so couldn't carry larger piece). Anyway good thing about it is that since it's flexible you can fix warps if they happen

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was just going to post the same thing. Even if you double or triple the panes, it will still warp. Ask me how I know. lol

Heck even the acrylic lid over my overflow I have to flip every once in a while as it warps.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back