EasySPS food

Luis Easyreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has aminos added or it just supplies them via Zooplankton? @Luis Easyreefs and @Pablo Easyreefs can you comment?

Only reason I care is I have ostreopsis dinoflagellates in my system and last thing I want to do is fuel them...
Thank you for your questions.
Actually we don't add any extra Amino Acids to this product because the phytoplankton and zooplankton in the product already containes the necessary amino acids for our corals in a natural way.

Luis Easyreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has aminos added or it just supplies them via Zooplankton? @Luis Easyreefs and @Pablo Easyreefs can you comment?

Only reason I care is I have ostreopsis dinoflagellates in my system and last thing I want to do is fuel them...
Thank you for your questions.
Actually we don't add any extra Amino Acids to this product because the phytoplankton and zooplankton in the product already containes the necessary amino acids for our corals in a natural way.

Reef_in_Denver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the above the angles are different so here's one from the ninth at the same angle. You can really see the change even after only 9 days here.

IMG_20200409_203046.jpg
IMG_20200409_203038.jpg
9 more days of growth using easy SPS.

IMG_20200421_195350.jpg

Let me know if these are helpful or not.... Don't want to take over the thread with Milli pictures if not!

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the easySPS and Booster products particularly geared toward SPS corals? Or are they useful for all corals?

I maintain a separate Caribbean-only tank with gorgonians, zoas, ricordea, etc and sometimes those gorgonians and ricordea can be finicky! I'm wondering if the gorgonians are similar to acropora in that they're both photosynthetic and they also require heterotrophic nutrition.

Does anybody have experience with the effects of these products on other corals?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else been using EasySPS food?

I just hooked the gel pack up to a dosing pump, which is sending this in the tank in the AM when polyps are all out the most in my tank.

Curious to hear if anyone has good or bad experiences..

I went through the SPS food phase, then grew up. If I need more gunk in the tank I add more fish or feed them more.

I guarantee you the amount of organic material you are dumping in the tank is orders of magnitude higher than natural nutrient levels In the ocean.

We see many SPS tanks here that are stunning and they dont directly feed SPS. Dot here.. dot there....now connect them.

Obviously if your tank is on the low nutrient side the SPS food wont adversely affect anything.

Polyp extension in SPS has more to do with gas Exchange than anything else.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through the SPS food phase, then grew up. If I need more gunk in the tank I add more fish or feed them more.

I guarantee you the amount of organic material you are dumping in the tank is orders of magnitude higher than natural nutrient levels In the ocean.

We see many SPS tanks here that are stunning and they dont directly feed SPS. Dot here.. dot there....now connect them.

Obviously if your tank is on the low nutrient side the SPS food wont adversely affect anything.

Well that wraps it up folks...

No offense, but I don’t think it’s as black and white as you say.

I don’t think that we can compare to the ocean and have an apples to apples comparison because of just how many variables there are that we can’t account for.

It’s food. While not all of the show tanks here use food just for sps, they do use a variety of food. That should count for something...I, for one, am way to lazy to go to the trouble of feeding all of the stuff that some people here feed, nor am I going to feed as often as they do. This sps food seems to have the potential, via doser, to do it for us.

Edit- FWIW, if after a few months I don’t see major growth and color, I’ll probably stop using it.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that wraps it up folks...

No offense, but I don’t think it’s as black and white as you say.

I don’t think that we can compare to the ocean and have an apples to apples comparison because of just how many variables there are that we can’t account for.

It’s food. While not all of the show tanks here use food just for sps, they do use a variety of food. That should count for something...I, for one, am way to lazy to go to the trouble of feeding all of the stuff that some people here feed, nor am I going to feed as often as they do. This sps food seems to have the potential, via doser, to do it for us.

Edit- FWIW, if after a few months I don’t see major growth and color, I’ll probably stop using it.
I've had pretty insane growth on my SPS, however I don't know how much of that is due to stability and how much of that is due to EasySPS. I definitely don't think the EasySPS/EasyBooster hurts.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not all SPS, specifically acropora, act the same. Some can thrive with little heterotrophic nutrition. Others need a lot. Yes you can have a thriving SPS tank, even full of acros, without Coral feeding, however I bet not all acropora species would thrive in that tank.

I have personally noticed a tremendous improvement in acropora health, color, and growth since starting to feed my Corals. I have some acros that were going downhill and some that I'd already lost. Upon starting a Coral feeding regiment that included EASYSPS among other foods they stopped declining, colored up, and started growing. They just keep getting better even after a few weeks.... All this while three other acros in my tank had thrived for years with excellent color and growth without feeding.

It's not necessarily my intention to mimic Nature in the amount of organic material it presents to the corals. I'm interested in growing fantastic SPS corals and heavy Coral feeding accomplishes that for me.

Since initiating feeding the polyp extension has improved greatly and keeps getting better.

I don't understand what you mean about gas exchange for polyp extension, could you explain what you mean by that?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still waiting more before and after photos. Like before while corals are struggling to grow and after when polyp extension and coral health has increased. Also some white light in the pics is really key to seeing the corals changes so please post some if your using this stuff.

I heard people in Europe have had good luck using phyto cultures to boost their tank health so I guess this is kind of a branch off what they are doing, just easier. I have always looked at food like this and coral foods in general as tank foods. The small micro fauna in tanks eat this stuff too and I would guess much more than acropora are actually eating it. A good healthy tank normally has a good micro fauna population.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still waiting more before and after photos. Like before while corals are struggling to grow and after when polyp extension and coral health has increased. Also some white light in the pics is really key to seeing the corals changes so please post some if your using this stuff.

I heard people in Europe have had good luck using phyto cultures to boost their tank health so I guess this is kind of a branch off what they are doing, just easier. I have always looked at food like this and coral foods in general as tank foods. The small micro fauna in tanks eat this stuff too and I would guess much more than acropora are actually eating it. A good healthy tank normally has a good micro fauna population.

Below is growth from my acropora over the past 2 months. I’m pretty happy with the growth and think it’s pretty fast. As I mentioned previously , whether this is due to tank stability or easysps/booster, I have no idea.
Here is an update of 2 months worth of growth on some of my faster growing acropora. The dates of the pictures are Feb 18th, March 18th and April 17th.

Blue Bonnet 2-18-2020.JPG
Blue Bonnet 3-18-2020.JPG
Blue Bonnet 4-17-2020.JPG

Millepora 2-18-2020.JPG
Millepora 3-18-2020.JPG
Millepora 4-17-2020.JPG

Pink Floyd 2-18-2020.JPG
Pink Floyd 3-18-2020.JPG
Pink Floyd 4-17-2020.JPG

Pink Lemonade 2-18-2020.JPG
Pink Lemonade 3-18-2020.JPG
Pink Lemonade 4-17-2020.JPG

For this acro, below is 1 months of growth (March 18th to April 17th)
Something Sinister 3-18-2020.JPG
Something Sinister 4-17-2020.JPG

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't there a study about acropora mostly consuming bacteria and viruses? I'm wondering if feeding is more of a secondary benefit. i.e. more diverse biological community, additional proteins, nutrients etc.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't there a study about acropora mostly consuming bacteria and viruses? I'm wondering if feeding is more of a secondary benefit. i.e. more diverse biological community, additional proteins, nutrients etc.
I've long suspected that acropora do more absorption of dissolved organics through their skin than they eat. I consider their skin and polyps to be semipermeable membranes. When LPS corals inflate (daytime) and when acropora extend their polyps at night perhaps their increasing both the surface area and the permeability of that membrane to enhance absorption.

Pablo Easyreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE = "Reef_in_Denver, publicación: 7372597, miembro: 25864"]
FWIW vale la pena, he pasado por 250ML (derrame accidentalmente, así que no un total de 250), pero estoy MUY contento con los resultados. Pedí el 1500ml y el adaptador.
[/CITAR]
we are glad that the results are satisfactory

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 more days of growth using easy SPS.

IMG_20200421_195350.jpg

Let me know if these are helpful or not.... Don't want to take over the thread with Milli pictures if not!
I have been on the fence on whether to add this to my 90 gallon SPS dominate tank. these photos are exactly what I want to see!!

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?
spread it out
Should both easy SPS and BOOSTER both be spread out? Or just one? I was under the impression that only the BOOSTER should be spread out?

That question leads me to a larger question about feeding phyto to a tank... How does phyto occur on the wild reefs? - is it constantly present all day and all night or is there a morning or evening surge? ...similar to how zooplankton arrives with an evening surge every night. I'd like to try to imitate this with my dosing.

As for easySPS I'd think that to mimic the evening surge you'd want to dose that all at one after lights out and let the corals feast. Please correct me if I'm wrong, looking for information here....

Back