Eating Up RO Membranes

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Booster pump ties in directly before the RO and the pressure gauge reads high 90’s
If you unplug the booster and just let the water pressure feed the system what's your pressure?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
won't work. It shuts itself off and blocks flow
That's nice, wasn't sure if that unit had a bypass or not. I'm just curious what your pressure going into the pump is. Can you manually rig up a pressure gauge to check? I don't know if you have any extras laying around from your previous unit you could swap in for a minute

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's nice, wasn't sure if that unit had a bypass or not. I'm just curious what your pressure going into the pump is. Can you manually rig up a pressure gauge to check? I don't know if you have any extras laying around from your previous unit you could swap in for a minute
I'll rig something later this morning. I have a gauge on my old unit. I'll let you know soon as I do it

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll rig something later this morning. I have a gauge on my old unit. I'll let you know soon as I do it
Whether or not you leave it permanently connected doesn't matter, but if you do decide to leave it you can use it as a monitor for when to change sediment filters

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether or not you leave it permanently connected doesn't matter, but if you do decide to leave it you can use it as a monitor for when to change sediment filters
image.jpg

rajdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @flyfisher2,
Sorry I probably could read it here (I did read many pages), but since thread is so long already... and my tank really is overdue for a water change.....making me anxious....

May I ask what is your final solution?

It seems to me that you decided to go with a brand new system; but how can we be sure that the new system won't fail prematurely?

I am curious if you determined that chloramines and/or chlorine was eating your RO membranes?

Thanks for your input, in advance :)
-Raj

PS: I am having similar issues with my membrane and had posted a thread about it here, but have not got any response. I take it because my question is similar to yours, and you have already have 19 pages worth of discussions :)

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @flyfisher2,
Sorry I probably could read it here (I did read many pages), but since thread is so long already... and my tank really is overdue for a water change.....making me anxious....

It seems to me that you decided to go with a brand new system; but how can we be sure that the new system won't fail prematurely?

I am curious if you determined that chloramines and/or chlorine was eating your RO membranes?

-Raj

PS: I am having similar issues with my membrane and had posted a thread about it here, but have not got any response. I take it because my question is similar to yours, and you have already have 19 pages worth of discussions :)
Sorry for the delay in response. I opted for a new system to which I added three of my existing canisters. I've been monitoring the TDS post membrane regularly and its dropped to 6PPM. Since the new install I've produced over 300 Gallons of RO/DI water and I'm on one canister of Mixed DI which is giving me 0 TDS. Based on this information I'm concluding that heat and or a damaged membrane housing contributed to the multiple replacement of the last 4 membranes. Time will tell provided the present membrane continues performing as it has.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @flyfisher2,

-Raj

In reference to Chloramines and or chlorine... The County water report confirmed that chlorine is the sole purifier and we ordered the Salifert Chlorine test which showed that it wasn't through the roof. As it stands it would seem that the heat was the culprit. As I stated previously, time will tell. If the membrane is still in the single digits three months from now we will know it would've had to be the heat or the housing or possibly both?

Last edited:

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I did this before but I want to thank Woodyman and all the other pro's at RO filtration for the time dedicated to get this unit operational. SO far so good. Thanks guys!
Glad you've got a functional unit and hopefully here in 3+ months everything is still working properly and we will be able to blame the problems on age/heat from the old unit.

rajdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay in response. I opted for a new system to which I added three of my existing canisters. I've been monitoring the TDS post membrane regularly and its dropped to 6PPM. Since the new install I've produced over 300 Gallons of RO/DI water and I'm on one canister of Mixed DI which is giving me 0 TDS. Based on this information I'm concluding that heat and or a damaged membrane housing contributed to the multiple replacement of the last 4 membranes. Time will tell provided the present membrane continues performing as it has.
Thanks!
My extra housing and cartridges are arriving today. Gotta rewire my system over this weekend.

Funny I never got a alert from the board when you replied on Monday...I just happened to visit this forum.

rajdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the notifications setting were janky....

The first one led me to believe that I should get notifications but I guess I need that second one checked (not checked by default)

1627914483248.png

1627914518989.png

I

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back