EB832 Outlet Behavior

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird thing happened today. I have my Tunze ATO set to power up 30 minutes after everything else comes on following feeding or maintenance. Today when it powered up it caused some sort of malfunction in my heater (not controlled by the Apex but plugged into the EB832). I had to power down the heater and power it back up again to clear the error. It seems that the one outlet switching on possibly caused some sort of surge in the other which doesn't sound like a good thing at all. I'm considering moving either the heater or the ATO to my EB4 to avoid future interference but this still sounds like something that shouldn't happen?

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the heater plugged into one of the outlets that can handle the higher current for EB832? It should have two outlets designed for higher current.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 832 started having issues after 18 months or so. I replaced it it with an EB8. So, yes I would use your EB4.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird thing happened today. I have my Tunze ATO set to power up 30 minutes after everything else comes on following feeding or maintenance. Today when it powered up it caused some sort of malfunction in my heater (not controlled by the Apex but plugged into the EB832). I had to power down the heater and power it back up again to clear the error. It seems that the one outlet switching on possibly caused some sort of surge in the other which doesn't sound like a good thing at all. I'm considering moving either the heater or the ATO to my EB4 to avoid future interference but this still sounds like something that shouldn't happen?
Curious, what was the error?

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the heater plugged into one of the outlets that can handle the higher current for EB832? It should have two outlets designed for higher current.

From what I can see the outlets are all the same? The EB4 has one outlet rated at 12A with the other three at 8A. Looks like the EB832 outlets are all 7A.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, EB832 outlets are all the same using identical relays and specs.

One possible explanation of this behavior is that the internal 12v power supply inside the EB832 is failing. Which is the most common problem with EB832s. When the PSU is failing, it's struggling to switch the relays controlling 110V outlets. So in your case, it is feasible that when the ATO was turned on, the load on the failing PSU was too high, causing it to start rapidly partially triggering other outlets that were on at the time. This might have made your heater to lose its state.

More on the subject:

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, EB832 outlets are all the same using identical relays and specs.

One possible explanation of this behavior is that the internal 12v power supply inside the EB832 is failing. Which is the most common problem with EB832s. When the PSU is failing, it's struggling to switch the relays controlling 110V outlets. So in your case, it is feasible that when the ATO was turned on, the load on the failing PSU was too high, causing it to start rapidly partially triggering other outlets that were on at the time. This might have made your heater to lose its state.

More on the subject:

Wow, that would sure suck since I only just hooked it up last month but I guess on the bright side it still has a warranty. Thanks for the link!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back