Eclipse Butterfly

Spot On

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, I received my first online order yesterday including 1 eclipse butterfly fish. It looked exceptionally skinny and was lethargic from the start. He was found 30hrs after I got him acclimated dead against a rock. The clown wrasse that came with seems healthy and hungry. Should I worry about the rest of his tank mates or is this just an unhealthy fish? Thanks

20240112_155146.jpg

GT3000XX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chaetodon bennetti is know to be a coral polyp only feeder. This fish probably hadn't eaten since it was collected. Really should be left in the ocean. Are you quarantining your fish prior to adding them to your display?

OP
OP
S

Spot On

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chaetodon bennetti is know to be a coral polyp only feeder. This fish probably hadn't eaten since it was collected. Really should be left in the ocean. Are you quarantining your fish prior to adding them to your display?
Thanks for the info...sad they sell them knowing this. I did not qt them..need to get a tank up and running...the Mrs. was being a hair impatient

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info...sad they sell them knowing this. I did not qt them..need to get a tank up and running...the Mrs. was being a hair impatient
It seems you may want to research on the fish you like to buy first, before buying them. Don't use information from seller but use information from site that does not need to sell you the fish. Information is so easy to get these days. Good luck with your tank.

Last edited:

Peterrdee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see these fish lasting as long as others sometimes 10 years or 20 some raccoons have lived to 30 in captivity

Avadakedavra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably was a bad specimen to start with. Tetrachaetodon butterflyfishes (speculum, plebeius, bennetti, etc.) are not as difficult as other obligate corallivores. Smaller specimens (healthy of course) accept food pretty readily.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back